Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2015-03-13, 04:06 PM
Regular User

Yes, I figured that they wouldn't make any width changes at all. You'd have to have a floor plan with the family room along the back wall to do anything in that respect.

I'm sure when you actually go in for the colors appointment the bill will rack up extremely quickly and easily. We aren't interested in the dual color cabinets ourselves, but something we were thinking about was having our kitchen tile be installed diagonally, but even that is too expensive for our budget.

My wife and I started to worry because our washer and dryer were on the wrong orientation for the pair she really wanted. Luckily I realized that since we have a mirrored house, we're good to go.

Last edited by TheLastOne; 2015-03-15 at 01:07 AM.
Old 2015-03-13, 10:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan View Post
700$ for a tiny piece of counter behind the stove? *sigh*... I guess it's good we aren't doing too many major changes to the kitchen or appliances. I've heard there is a charge too if we want to have the island a different cabinet colour. Not sure how much yet.

Good point about the washer dryer orientation. Will keep that in mind.

As for increasing the width of the room, it can't be accommodated at all. We asked if even the fireplace could be flush with the wall to give us 6-8 more inches and have a boxout on the exterior but it reduces the distance between the neighbouring house and would not allow sufficient space to walk/mow the lawn once a fence is put up. I'm still not sure where to put the TV in that room....
Oh, my family room is at the back not the side so won't work in that case then. But I asked them to move the fireplace to the side wall (wall at the back of the house in your case), so I didn't have to put the TV over the fireplace. I asked and got this as part of the offer, so didn't have to pay for that (not sure how much that costs though). I saw it on-line on a similar house for sale and it looked good, so asked for it.

Originally, I had planned to put the TV where the fireplace would have been (along windows) as in the similar on-line house, but have changed to be along the opposite wall, as I've seen some designers do this and looks good (Kylemore West Village model home).

Good luck...
Old 2015-03-16, 09:20 AM
Regular User

So we did some shopping this weekend. We are leaning towards whirlpool for the washer/dryer. Still narrowing it down between two models.

For the fridge there is a samsung one we like and we found a great deal on a whirlpool stand alone slide in gas range (will not require counter modifications) from canadian appliance.

Dishwasher brands/models we are still researching. We were leaning towards a couple of samsung models however reviews weren't great so back to the drawing board.

Still have some price comparisons to do before committing our order anywhere but overall a productive weekend.

We decided to forego the 200 amp service for now as we likely won't be finishing the basement or needing it for 5 years at which time it will likely cost about the same price. Gearing up for our colour selection appointment this week!
Old 2015-03-16, 11:01 AM
Regular User

Are you going counter depth for the fridge? If you're looking for gas ranges, I assume you went with the gas ready structural upgrade? We did the 200 amp upgrade, but not the gas ready. If you are going with gas appliances, all the more reason not to do it.

Our color selection appointment is next week. Let us know how yours goes and if there were any unexpected surprises!

I spoke to the decor person directly, and she doesn't need to know the exact appliances for a few more weeks - just if they require any special considerations now.

Last edited by TheLastOne; 2015-03-16 at 12:43 PM.
Old 2015-03-16, 12:23 PM
Regular User

Counter depth fridges look nice, however we need as much fridge space as we can get! And also based on our kitchen configuration our fridge is in the corner against the servery wall and therefore in order to open the french doors the fridge will have to stick out atleast in line with or slightly beyond the wall in order to fully open.

Will let you know how our colour selection appointment goes towards the end of the week!

Last edited by sensfan; 2015-03-16 at 02:10 PM.
Old 2015-03-16, 01:45 PM
Regular User

I must admit, I am concerned about the decrease in fridge space, but our fridge is right out in the open on the open side of our counters so we pretty much have no choice but to go with a counter depth fridge and to pay for a full enclosure.

I look forward to hearing how your color appointment goes - I'm terrified there's a ton of stuff that are must haves that we haven't even considered yet!
Old 2015-03-19, 11:41 AM
Regular User

So we had our colour selection yesterday. It took 5 hours and we had a vague idea of some of the finishings we wanted and thought we were moving quick! Lol. The meeting goes by quick and you kind of rush through everything.

We were under the impression that the cabinets on the wall were part of the standard selection whereas most of the ones in the shelf were upgrades, boy were we in for a surprise! We went with chocolate coloured floors. There was no cabinet option that would remotely match without going to level 3. So that was an additional 6K we had not forecasted. The nice thing is when you upgrade your cabinets they let you pick from the upgraded hardware free.

We made a couple of modifcations to add a pots/pans drawer and fridge enclosure. We got some prices if we were to do built in appliances but its quite expensive. We have about a month to get her our appliance specs. We upgraded the kitchen tile and backsplash. The backsplash I find expensive, so going to visit a couple places by the weekend to get rough quotes to have something similar done afterwards.

We upgraded to quartz counter as it wasn't too expensive. We inquired about having it in our ensuite bathroom and it was the same price as our kitchen! so we stuck with laminate.

Nice to haves we've included for now are door hardware, thicker railing spindles/square, upgraded quartz/granite counter edge, and adding drawers to the ensuite vanity. We are still making up our mind on most of these as well as whether we want to do the framless shower, garage rough in and plug for vacuum (as there is only 1 plug in the garage other than for the openers), decide if we want to put in a cap or light fixture with switch for the living room and family room (easy access point for future potlights), and the plug and conduit for the tv (vs doing it afterwards).

we asked about stacking the washer dryer but are still waiting to find out if there is a charge for that. It will open up the laundry room and give us space to have a bench and shoe rack.

It was an exhausting process but flew by. Bring a list of questions or things you want priced. She skipped over alot of items that we had questions about or wanted to know more info about. We signed off preliminarily and told her we'd get back to her regarding any additions or removals by monday likely. Hope it all looks good when put together!
Old 2015-03-19, 01:31 PM
Regular User

I expected that the 4 hour estimate was pretty modest. Knowing me I could keep asking questions for 8 hours .

Do you have hardwood flooring in your kitchen as well? Since we have tile there, our kitchen cabinets don't need to match anything specifically. We are still looking at an upgrade here, though. The standard and even Upgrade 1 kitchen cabinets leave a lot to be desired. I didn't even notice that there were more kitchen cabinet choices on the wall!

We plan on doing the pots and pan drawers as well, as well as the fridge enclosure. Does she provide you with drawings / pictures of the full final cabinet layout?

I would've liked to put granite counter tops in at least the master bathroom as well, but I figured it would be far too expensive. Definitely something that we can do afterwards easily enough, and likely for far less.

I think we are alright without central vac rough-in being in the basement. Our garages are very, very small as it is.

What was the price for putting in a cap for future lighting in the family room?
Would definitely make future potlight installation easier, but if it costs much of anything, we'll take a pass and let the potlight installer fish the cables.

Did she have an electrical plan for you to look at electrical outlet positioning, light fixture placement, etc?

I see you mentioned "upgraded quartz/granite counter edge". Is the standard full on square? What is the cost of upgrading the counter edges?

If you change your minds on anything, is there an additional cost to make changes after the selection appointment? When is the final date you can make changes?

Last edited by TheLastOne; 2015-03-19 at 01:39 PM.
Old 2015-03-19, 02:21 PM
Regular User

We do not have hardwood in our kitchen. Our kitchen and breakfast area are open to the family room and therefore the have a uniform look we wanted our cabinets and island to match. (would have liked to do a different colour island but it was like 1K).

She has a rough sketch of how many doors there will be in each segment. It's an awful quality picture but gives a rough idea of what kind of cabinets there are and where you can put options in.

I agree about the garages being very small. We just find from a dust and noise perspective we will try and mount it in the garage.

For the capped light or fixture with a separate switch it was 500, if we have it on the same switch as the wall plug that is powered by it it's about 300. It seems that pot light installers can only drill every 4 feet. So if there is no starting point for them it likely means they will have to drill and patch up holes in the roof in order to get the correct distances.

There is zero electrical info. Even if we add fixtures we can tell them where to put it but they won't tell you exactly where the existing lights are. It is rather unfortunate as it would have been nice to have the option to make sure lights were centered or the option to move them to a more desirable location. They can't even guarantee there will be an electrical plug next to the cable outlets... It also sucks that they only give you 3 cables but 5 phones.

So the standard edging for the counters can be square or rounded or bevelled, all the same price. However it is pretty thin/sad looking. There is the option to double the edging to look thicker and more like a traditional laminate counter. It was a few hundred dollars but made a nice difference. You can see it on the counter of the model kitchen in the sales centre.

Additions are free I believe as long as they can still be accomodated. Shortly after signing off everything gets reviewed by the companies and there will likely be a charge for any changes at that point. She seems adamant that you finish in one day and make everything official. We told her we needed some time to think about some things and would get back to her in a couple days.

Other nice to haves were ridiculously expensive like carpet runners and crown molding for the kitchen upper cabinets.

They haven't started digging at all, I'm worried there will be a delay in closing which makes deciding when to list our current place that much harder.
Old 2015-03-19, 03:35 PM
Regular User

Do you remember what the name / color of the kitchen cabinets you went with are? Are they MDF or oak/maple? I am still struggling with this one myself, as there is not a single one, even in the upgrades, I really like that much. It doesn't help that you can't mix and match colors and door styles, either.

As for the potlights, the family room is pretty small. If we put 6 potlights in a grid, I can't imagine an installer would need to make extra ceiling holes. Wall holes might happen, but we'll be looking to repaint away from the standard white anyways.

The lack of electrical information is disappointing. We were considering adding pot lights to the kitchen and were considering putting the existing kitchen fixture over the island so we could install more of a decorative low hanging fixture. In existing Tiffany Park Homes models, the fixture is actually in between the island and the counters.

We will definitely look into the kitchen counter top edging. One more potential cost we didn't think of .

Thanks for providing me with all this insight! We really appreciate it!

They haven't started anywhere for this phase? We're supposed to close at the end of October. Is your closing date earlier? I'm not too concerned yet. 7 months should be ample time. If they still haven't started in another month, then I might start getting concerned .