Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-11-11, 02:28 PM
Regular User

Default Modern Furniture or online furniture shopping

With moving into a new home we decided to get a new sofa set for our living room. We would like something with a fresh modern look. I have been searching all over Ottawa, but have had no success. The only place I found that has the designs we like is Direct Buy but with their membership fees this is not an option when you only need a new sofa set.... All other stores have pretty much the same traditional designs. I found a few stores where you can purchase online, but their showrooms are in the Toronto area and I hesitate to buy a sofa without being able to actually sit on first. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice and experience with online furniture shopping?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	13346   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	13347  
Old 2015-11-11, 10:12 PM
Regular User

Maybe Brault & Martineau in Gatineau.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2015-11-11, 11:08 PM
Regular User

We were also looking for something modern. We went to so many stores, and I can say that I would not buy from a catalog/website without seeing it and sitting on it.
There are so many types of leather, that you need to actually see it, touch it, and choose the right color.
I saw something similar to the second sofa (solid white) at a store called La Vie Furniture (they don't have a showroom in Ottawa anymore). The furniture there looked really nice, modern, but on a closer look you could see that the quality was really bad.
So, keep looking (did you try Mobilia?). There are more stores in Gatineau as well.
Old 2015-11-12, 09:44 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8day View Post
We were also looking for something modern. We went to so many stores, and I can say that I would not buy from a catalog/website without seeing it and sitting on it.
There are so many types of leather, that you need to actually see it, touch it, and choose the right color.
I saw something similar to the second sofa (solid white) at a store called La Vie Furniture (they don't have a showroom in Ottawa anymore). The furniture there looked really nice, modern, but on a closer look you could see that the quality was really bad.
So, keep looking (did you try Mobilia?). There are more stores in Gatineau as well.
Yes, I have the same worries of buying from online places like La Vie. Their items are the style we like but seems risky. Our friends bought from there and did not have a good experience. Mobilia stuff looks better than the generic style available everywhere but still to classic for our taste. I will keep searching... If I find something worthy I will spread the word. I would mind driving to Montreal if I knew where to go and went to a specific showroom rather than just shopping around, but Toronto is too far.
Old 2015-11-12, 10:54 AM
Regular User

Have you tried Mikaza Home at City Center? It is right beside Art-is-In Bakery. That's probably your best bet in Ottawa. After Phillip Van Leewen closed in the market last year, there hasn't been anything that really replaced it in terms of really modern furniture in Ottawa.

Old 2015-11-12, 02:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_ottawa View Post
Have you tried Mikaza Home at City Center? It is right beside Art-is-In Bakery. That's probably your best bet in Ottawa. After Phillip Van Leewen closed in the market last year, there hasn't been anything that really replaced it in terms of really modern furniture in Ottawa.
Thank you It looks like they do have some pretty neat things, unfortunately the sofas are still very basic just like everywhere else....
Old 2015-11-12, 03:07 PM
Regular User

You should try http://maisoncorbeil.com
They have a store in Laval and they ship to Ottawa every 2 weeks! Got some awesome stuff!!
Old 2015-11-13, 01:24 PM
Regular User

Mobilia has some modern sofa/sectionals.