Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-12-07, 10:31 AM
Regular User

Default Tamarack Madison Upgrades

Hello Dear Friends,

I just wanted to get some ideas for possible important or nice upgrades that I can add to the Tamarack Madison Model. On my list, I currently have:

9 foot basement ceiling
Granite in bathrooms upstairs
Bathroom rough in for basement

Anything else that comes to mind? I dont want to move in and regret not doing something Thanks for the help guys
Old 2015-12-07, 06:14 PM
Regular User

My Avon has a similar layout minus the Study and curved staircase. If I could go back, I would look into the open staircase and definitely get the 9 foot basement ceiling. Maybe put in a longer closet in the mudroom. If you get the alternate kitchen, consider putting in a row of pots and pans drawer along the wall where the window is.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2015-12-07, 06:39 PM
Regular User

Thanks Brian, good ideas to keep in mind
Old 2015-12-07, 09:15 PM
Regular User

Our old Bristol had a similar main floor layout.

If you are ever thinking of mounting the TV over the fireplace, getting a recessed outlet, and all the wiring necessary done ahead of time will save you a ton of headache later on.

If you are getting carpet upstairs and don't want to pay to upgrade the carpet throughout, upgrading the underpad is a smaller upgrade cost that in my opinion makes a world of a difference in terms of feel.

We upgraded the shower door to a clear shower door, which was a nice upgrade as well.

Depending on your preference, you may opt for a flat countertop in the kitchen vs. a raised bar. When we did it, I think there was zero cost difference between the two.

Potlights, potlights, potlights. It is so much easier (and cleaner) to do it through the builder.

Old 2015-12-07, 09:48 PM
Regular User

Default More Electrical Plugs

I remembered this from the other posts I just responded to.

If you can figure out where you want the electrical plugs, you can have them install the plugs in the ceiling joists and hopefully the electrician leaves enough cabling. This way when the time comes for you to finish the basement, you can simply bring the plugs down. It's also less work if you decide to put in more plugs afterwards since you will already have a circuit. Just make sure it's a dedicated line. This is what I did minus the dedicated line part. At the time, they also didn't install a plug over the demarcation (telecom) box so make sure you have one installed there also for powering your Rogers/Bell/whatever equipment.

Outdoor plugs for Christmas lights. I find all my neighbours only installed one plug and they run power cords everywhere. Looks kind of ghetto and probably not very safe. If you do put up Christmas lights, I suggest putting up more than one, maybe one each side of the house and maybe a third one on the second storey.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2015-12-07, 10:34 PM
Regular User

Thank you guys. I really like the ideas I am getting here

Mc_ottawa

I was thinking of upgrading the carpet for the stairs and the main hallway upstairs, but I think the underpad is probably a better option

So the shower door is already a standard clear door now.

BrianT

I think your idea about the plugs outside is very important I will definitely get that

Thank you so much
Old 2015-12-10, 01:48 PM
Regular User

I live in a Madison and agree with mc_ottawa. Get pot lights in the great room at the very least. Makes a big difference.

I wish I did the 9 foot basement but the house was already started and we couldn't make the change.

Upgrade the shower door to a nicer style. We wanted to do a full tile shower but it was pretty costly. I think they wanted $3500 extra to do it.

I would recommend turning the island so it faces the great room. You then put bar stool style chairs along the side so you sort of have a breakfast bar setup. The standard way is the island faces the patio door.

Make sure you bring the cabinet above the fridge an extra foot out so you can reach the doors.

Things to get through the builder include: cabinets, flooring, railings, shower door, pot lights.

Things to do after: granite counter tops.

You can easily change the counters after closing. Its not that hard and it will be much cheaper outside of Tamarack. You also decide if you want a 4-6" backsplash or not and if you want some sort of tile backsplash instead.
Old 2015-12-12, 01:07 PM
Regular User

Thank you very much for the ideas kolider...pot lights are so expensive but I guess it's worth doing it. I think I will do the granite countertops for the upstairs bathrooms with tamarack because they only charge $575 and $860 so it seems like a reasonable deal. I guess at the end of the day I gotta use the design center bonus for something
Old 2015-12-15, 10:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali-gee View Post
Thank you very much for the ideas kolider...pot lights are so expensive but I guess it's worth doing it. I think I will do the granite countertops for the upstairs bathrooms with tamarack because they only charge $575 and $860 so it seems like a reasonable deal. I guess at the end of the day I gotta use the design center bonus for something
I have a Madison. Besides what was already mentioned...

Pot lights and the associated dimmers were easy (and much cheaper) for us to do after taking possession for the great room and kitchen due to the joist direction and use of strapping in the ceiling.

I also suggest extending the island and putting a small sink. I do all my prep there and a sink would make it easier and cleaner than having to go back and forth between the main sink and island.

I wish I had 9ft ceilings in the basement since the ducts and beam basically go straight through the middle, and as a result I have a very low bulkhead in the middle of my finished basement.

Keep in mind when you upgrade to granite or quartz with the builder, you'll need to also pay a premium for nicer undermount sinks and faucets. The standard faucets are 3 hole, so you'll have that issue if you wanted a single hole faucet. It might be more worthwhile to do this after should you want to change the sinks and faucets as well. For example, I ended up getting some Delta single hole faucets from Amazon.ca for $140 that Tamarack wanted $300 something for each.

Extending your kitchen cabinets to fill the wall near the patio door would be nice. You could also put a little built-in desk there too if you wanted a small work space.

Frosted french doors separating the entrance area and the dining room is a good idea due to the open concept design.

If you're getting a basement bathroom rough-in, remember to plan it out so the layout makes sense (otherwise it likely won't and will require excavation when you finish your basement).

Move the window in the basement that's closest to the central beam away from it. When finishing my basement, I found it was very close to the bulkhead surrounding the beam and it's a bit awkward. For my window, even if it was moved 6-8" over it would be much better.

Last edited by BrandonH; 2015-12-15 at 11:17 PM.
Old 2015-12-15, 11:30 PM
Regular User

Thanks Brandon. The only reason I want to do the granite is because I have to spend my design center money on something and I am thinking of using it for the jobs that are more invasive and difficult to do later on.

Do you suggest other changes that might be better options to spend the money on?