Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2006-09-28, 04:09 PM
KBMF

Question Hardwood versus ceramic in Kitchen

I know there are a couple threads in the other subforums about this but I wanted to see what us fairwind people are doing

Im thinking of getting hardwood in the kitchen because I like the flow of it frm the dining room, great room and into the kitchen

But at the same time ceramics may be a better option in case water is spilled, pots dropped, etc.

What does everyone else think?
Old 2006-09-28, 04:30 PM
Regular User

FYI, it's the "Ottawa" forum.. not the "mattamy fairwinds" forum.

I'm thinking exactly the same thing as you. Ceramic would be much better for spills (especially with kits) but HW is nicer for the flow (and I'll have an open kitchen) and doesn't hurt your back as much when cooking for a long time.

I'm thinking of having the pre-finished hardwood refinished on site with a gynmasium finish or something like that... it should be bulletproof.
Old 2006-09-28, 04:51 PM
KBMF

LOL sorry mart I didnt mean it like that All ottawa opinions are very very welcome

I didnt even think of my back. That is a HUGE bonus

Mart are you doing your hardwood with the builder then?
Old 2006-09-28, 05:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMF
Mart are you doing your hardwood with the builder then?
Yup. The mainfloor comes with ceramic or hardwood from builder. We'll just upgrade to maple or something I like instead of the basic oak like I currently have in my townhouse (I want something different). 3" maple planks would be something like 2500$ to upgrade on ~1000sq ft. Laundry room & bathrooms upstairs are ceramic as well (from builder). I'm not sure if I upgrade the carpet upstairs (berber, ~2k total for upgrade on ~1000sq ft) or rip everything off in a few years and have hardwood or engineered wood (not laminate!!!) installed. The builder charges ~10 - 12k for hardwood upstairs, I'm not paying that much...

If I put ceramic in the kitchen, it will be porcelain. (based on what I've read)

What's killing me is my new kitchen design. It will be big $$$ once I have the builder price it for me. (I'll post another thread about that shortly)
Old 2006-09-28, 06:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242
I'm thinking exactly the same thing as you. Ceramic would be much better for spills (especially with kits) but HW is nicer for the flow (and I'll have an open kitchen) and doesn't hurt your back as much when cooking for a long time.

I'm thinking of having the pre-finished hardwood refinished on site with a gynmasium finish or something like that... it should be bulletproof.
For spills on HW, its only a problem if you let it sit there for a while. If you wipe it up right away, it's fine. I have HW in my current home (but not in my kitchen) with little kids and it has not been a problem. In the dining room, they have spilled glasses full of milk/water/juice, soup, etc.

I have oak, and its quite tough. Not sure how tough maple or birch is, but I was told oak was "harder/stronger" wood than both of those. I got the unfinish stuff - it was less costly. Once it's finish on-site, it's like a solid seal surface. But you have to be willing to move out of your home for a few days. I find the prefinish floors are not as smooth (where the pieces join together).

The kids have drop so many things on it, and yet its still in good shape. I know of only a couple of nicks in the floor (and one is my fault, dropping my screw driver from the top of my ladder - ugh!). I have mostly surface scratches - nothing that a refinish will not fix up.

But given all that, I'm still undecided whether to put HW or ceramic in the kitchen. It would be good to hear from people who have HW in their kitchen. I'm worried that spills happen without really noticing it (small splash fill washing the dishes, carrying rinsed veg from the counter to the stove, etc), and then not wiping it up.

Joseph
Old 2006-09-28, 06:10 PM
Regular User

We are planning to do hardwood in the kitchen/greatroom. I plan on putting a nice rug in the main work area of the kitchen to catch the majority of dropped pans/spills. With tile I find you need some sort of floor covering anyways because that stuff is just so hard to stand on for any length of time. After spending the day cooking a big meal in our current kitchen (ceramic), my legs/back are killing me!

I'm not too worried either way - I find spills are fine on hardwood as long as you catch them and wipe them up within a reasonable amount of time. And I can't remember the last time I dropped something heavy in the kitchen that might cause damage.
Old 2006-09-28, 08:25 PM
Regular User

Hardwood in the kitchen is great until your fridge leaks , which happened to one of my friends and now her floor is ruined. Just something to think about
Old 2006-09-28, 08:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph
But given all that, I'm still undecided whether to put HW or ceramic in the kitchen. It would be good to hear from people who have HW in their kitchen. I'm worried that spills happen without really noticing it (small splash fill washing the dishes, carrying rinsed veg from the counter to the stove, etc), and then not wiping it up.
We all have the same fears... But I read a post somewhere that summed everything pretty well:

- Those who have ceramic are afraid that wood would get damaged due to water but those who have hardwood wouldn't change it for ceramic.

I still have a month or two to decide...
Old 2006-09-28, 09:48 PM
Regular User

I thought that you could do hardwood in a kitchen as an after-thought (after everything is installed), and you'd just be sacrificing losing some of the height on your kickboard. Ie: Just butt the hardwood up against the kickboard, then finish it off with a piece of quarter-round. Am I mistaken here? Are there other factors to consider?
Old 2006-09-28, 10:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&A
I thought that you could do hardwood in a kitchen as an after-thought (after everything is installed), and you'd just be sacrificing losing some of the height on your kickboard. Ie: Just butt the hardwood up against the kickboard, then finish it off with a piece of quarter-round. Am I mistaken here? Are there other factors to consider?
The counters will end up 3/4+ inch lower...