Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Milton - Hollybank

Old 2006-10-16, 05:57 PM
Regular User

Default Magnolia Stairs

We've got a Magnolia model and are unclear how the stair railings look on the main floor going to the basement.

We were told that there is only a 1-2 foot section of railing on the main floor connecting to the railing down to the basement. However, upon looking at some of the construction of Magnolias, it seems that they all? have a full railing from the side wall underneath the stairs heading upstairs, all the way to the railing at the opening going down to the basement.

Are we seeing a whole bunch of homes that have paid for this upgrade (extension of the main floor railing) or were we misinformed? It looks beautiful when you enter the home and see through the railing down to the basement stairs.

We're really curious as to whether what we're seeing is what we will be getting (we didn't do any upgrade with this railing)? Can anyone clarify???
Corner Lot #110
Old 2006-10-16, 06:14 PM
Regular User

If I have read your e-mail correctly what you are seeing is the standard blue print! I have been in quite a few as well and we are all the same. I am lot 53 Magnolia if you care to take a peak the staircase going to the basement is standard.. (we did remove the 1/2 walls however, and put in railings upstairs)
Old 2006-10-17, 11:23 AM
Regular User

We also have the magnolia, Lot #28.

We did not upgrade the stairs (other than all oak), but we did include the den on the upper level, so we have a full wall instead of half.

The railing on the main floor is as you described as one section of railing looking down on the basement stairs (also oak).

Hope this helps.
Old 2006-10-21, 04:11 PM
Regular User

Default Thanks!

Thanks Johnsons and Homeless. I`m thrilled to hear that we will be getting the railings as I`ve seen them in the other homes. I`m not sure if I`ve looked at either of your homes as they`ve been going up, but the ones I`ve managed a peek at are stunning!

Having the full railing from under the upper stairs all the way across to the downstairs railing really opens up the foyer beautifully! I`m so pleased!!

We, too, have replaced the hallway`s half-wall with oak railing (looking down to the front door) and have the 2nd floor den which we treated as a media loft, so we did a capped half wall on the stair wall going up, then have it as a completely open area just outside the master bedroom.

I think it`s great that Sundial allows us to personalize our homes in these ways. It means that although we have the same models, very few of our homes will actually look the same! Some of my friends have told me that their builders don`t allow for such structural changes at all, regardless of price!

Thanks again for clarifying this issue for us. We`re really looking forward to meeting everyone...and of course, comparing notes on other unique features we`ve added to our beautiful homes!

Corner Lot #110