Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-04-15, 02:56 PM
Regular User

Default Upgrade Pricing

Hi folks, we have an appointment with the Design Centre next week to decide what upgrades we would go for before they put up the Drywall...

They gave me a list of upgrades and corresponding prices. I have crossed out some we don't want/need at the moment (French doors, wainscoting, crown molding etc) but there are a few items we would be interested in getting and they are

Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV). Quote from builder is $1,908

Under-cabinet valance lighting. $1,200

3-piece bathroom rough-in in the basement, $600

Gas BBQ rough-in, $300. Gas stove rough-in $570 and Gas dryer rough-in $375

Refrigerator water rough-in, $275

Pot lights with switch, ~ $200/light

Capped electrical receptacle, $109

Extra cable outlet, $98.10/each

Can you guys let me know which one you think is reasonable and we should go with the builders and which one you think we can wait until after we move in and bring in contractors to get it done ?

Also, if you have had contractors complete any of the above job, please let me know the going rates and any names you can recommend (you can simply post here or PM me if that's the rules of the board)

Thanks folks.
Old 2007-04-15, 04:59 PM
Regular User

For the HRV you can get it cheaper else where but only for about $100 for Venmarís Constructo 1.5. It may be worth just paying for the extra $100 and having it all done at once. Prices vary depending on the HRV they are offering.

All the other prices seem to fall into range of what it would be if you shopped around for some independent contractors. Under-cabinet valance lighting I havenít a clue as to what it would cost.
Old 2007-04-15, 06:14 PM
Regular User

3-piece bathroom rough-in in the basement, $600 seems like a fair price. Mattamy is charging approx 1300 but apparently it includes deeper windows.

Gas BBQ rough-in, $300 seems okay. Mattamy is charging about 500 that is finished as to being only a rough in. Gas stove rough-in $570 seems okay. As of right now i don't think Mattamy offers gas stove rought in but I think the gas line to the first floor is 450 and 550 to the 2nd floor.

Refrigerator water rough-in, $275 i think its a bit over price...I think my parents paid like 100 to 150. Mattamy is charging 150.

Pot lights with switch, ~ $200/light I haven't inquired about that with Mattamy.

Capped electrical receptacle, $109 Haven't inquired about that either.

Extra cable outlet, $98.10/each I think thats cheaper than Mattamy by $50.

Hope this helps.
Old 2007-04-16, 12:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA28 View Post
Refrigerator water rough-in, $275 i think its a bit over price...I think my parents paid like 100 to 150. Mattamy is charging 150.
Wow. That's quite the scam. I think that I paid 60$ or 90$ to have that done with proper copper pipe and pex connection w/ shutoff. Builder charges something like 180$..
Old 2007-04-19, 08:14 PM

Default Gas BBQ Hookup

I paid Enbridge I think $150 to install a Gas BBQ hookup after I moved in 2001.

I also paid another vendor $125 for a home in Kanata a couple of years before.

What exactly would rough-in be to finished hook-up. I mean the coupler comes with your BBQ and can be easily self-installed by just removing the cap and screwing on the coupler.

In general I think the vendor pricing for upgrades are greatly inflated. I wanted to change to more water efficient toilets and the builder quoted me $220 more than I would pay for them at Home Depot and gave me no credit for the standard toilet which actually has a higher price. So that is like a 3 fold increase. So I will be very wary of upgrades from my builder and will definately get alternate quotes to make sure I am not getting ripped off.
Old 2007-04-19, 09:52 PM
Regular User

Hi guys I would like to let you know that we have decided to change our house, switching to another unit at a different location (Woodroffe Estates) with an earlier closing date (end of July)...If you need more info regarding the change, send me a PM, let's just say that the area we chose in the beginning had more than meets the eyes.

Anyway, since the foundation has been laid and the frame has been put up, our appointment with the design centre now is actually for the interiors of the house instead of the pre-drywall stuff. So I will have to worry about pot lights (6 included for kitchen) and HRV and other rough-ins (gas BBQ and stove are now included in this unit) at a later time

Quick question here for you folks: Is there any interior upgrade that you guys prefer to go with the builder ? Or are they almost always cheaper with contractors ?

I am talking about things like:

-- additional or increased Pantry size

-- Pots and Pans drawers

-- Berber carpet

-- Kitchen backsplash

-- Fireplace surround

-- Electronic Air Cleaner

-- Power Humidifier

-- Window treatments ?

At this point, I don't have the pricing for this yet but I can get it this weekend and will probably peruse the list again and make some decisions.

Thanks fellas.
Old 2007-04-20, 09:59 AM
Regular User

Hey Canabiz

First of all for us, we'd rather purchase a larger home that will suit us for many years to come rather than a smaller home with all the upgrades included. We figure we'll have lots of time to upgrade later so for us were really only willing to pay for things that would be difficult/expensive to do later. So here are some of my thoughts but of course it really all depends on what you really want for your home and how much you are willing to pay for convenience.

-- additional or increased Pantry size

-- Pots and Pans drawers

I'm willing to spend on upgraded layout and cabinets - something I don't see myself wanting to replace for a long time if ever. Little things like crown moulding and valances can be added easily later.

-- Berber carpet

From the builders we have looked at they are asking almost as much for berber as it would cost me to completely replace my carpets after closing.

-- Kitchen backsplash

Depends on the price and the tile the builder is offering. You can probably get a nicer one after closing for the same price or less even if you don't do it yourself.

-- Electronic Air Cleaner

Haven't even though of this one...

-- Power Humidifier

This is something we definitely want for our home but weather it is better to buy from the builder or not I'm not sure.

-- Window treatments

Definitely not (IMO).

All this being said - I'd say its definitely worth pricing anything you're interested in with your builder - there may be some pleasant surprises
Old 2007-05-03, 05:36 PM
Regular User

Just a quick update and also some info for folks interested in Richcraft

We had our *Colours Options and Finishes* appointment today at the Design Centre. It took almost 3 hours to finalize the selections and complete the paperworks.

The designer is quite friendly and helpful. I made it clear to her at the beginning that we aren't interested in too many upgrades so she told us where the standard sections are. We present our choices and she puts in her $0.02 and overall it's a pretty good experience.

We decided to go with the following upgrades:

- Upgrade kitchen and powder room countertops to the Platinum series, $200

- Berber carpet for upstairs (hallways, bedrooms, stairs), $1,100

- Upgrade cabinet hardware, $200 (We could have upgraded the kitchen cabinet for another grand but I don't justify that so we ended up upgrading the hardware just to make my wife happy ;-)

- Pots and Pans Drawer, $370

We had some credits from the Design Centre so the total bill for the upgrades come to around $1,500. So all in all, that's not bad. I am not too picky about the colours and those cosmetic stuff so no big deal for me. The designer made a good point: In the end It's still only a townhouse so there's really no need to go berserk, just stay within your budget and for that I appreciate her straightforwardness.

So that's the end of it. No more changes after this. I don't know about other builders' design centre but what I could recommend is to visit a few times before your appointment just so that you have an idea what to choose and the prices. You won't have enough time for the appointment, trust me. Also, ask which area is *standard* and which one is *upgrade*, so that you don't waste your time looking at something that is not within your budget.

Cheers!

P.S. By the way, just to add that Kitchen Backsplash, Fireplace Surround and Bathroom Ceramic Tub/Shower Wall Surround are standard for this one for us so that's always welcome.

Last edited by canabiz; 2007-05-03 at 05:43 PM.