Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-11-16, 01:06 AM
Regular User

Default ¿Hardwood OR Tile in the Kitchen?

Would anyone be able to tell me what the pros and cons are for hardwood in the kitchen vs. tile?

Thanks
Old 2007-11-16, 01:11 AM
Regular User

If you search the forum you should find this topic as it was previously debated.
Old 2007-11-16, 11:01 AM
Regular User

Hi Dorni,

I'll try to spare you searching back for the thread!

I've heard that some don't like the hardwood because if stuff spills on the wood it can ruin it etc. I heard that ceramic works better in the kitchen for spills etc.

I've heard that putting hardwood in the kitchen when you have it everywhere else in the house makes the house 'flow' nicer, and that ceramic is cold/hard to walk on sometimes.

In general, it all depends on your preferance. I put hardwood everywhere including the kitchen because if something spills, I would wipe it quickly etc. I know we can't always anticipate things happening but such is life and we would deal with it should there be a flood or something! I think it looks nice and cleaning the floors with one cleaner is easier. Some people like that they can be 'harder' on their floor and put ceramic down, plus it still looks nice to me! So do whatever you think is for you.
Old 2007-11-16, 11:46 AM
Regular User

Hi Dorni,

I bought a Berryland and chose to go with all hardwood on the main floor. Although I like the durability and ease of cleaning of ceramics in the kitchen, I went with h/w for the following reasons:

- even flow on the main floor layout
- decided on white cabinets so the h/w gave a nice contrast

If you're curious to see the inside of a Berryland, check the first model home out in the below link (G3 S3).

http://www.mattamyhomes.com/corporat...omes.asp?id=36

Good luck with your decision.
Old 2007-11-16, 11:53 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorni View Post
Would anyone be able to tell me what the pros and cons are for hardwood in the kitchen vs. tile?

Thanks
Random thoughts ....

I like cooking. In my last house I had ceramic in the kitchen. I found that after standing on the ceramic in slippers for anything longer than an hour, my back and knees really hurt. If I wore running shoes, it was better. I have very messy toddlers, they got alot of food gack on the floor. Ceramic is easy to scrap clean. This house I have hardwood. It is much easier on the joints. No more back pain after cooking.

I have to put a splat mat under the messy toddlers because it's harder to clean food gack off of the wood floor. Once my toddler threw her sippy cup on the floor and I didn't notice right away. The water seeped in the seams and bubbled. After a week the bubble shrunk down and it's only noticable if you know where to look.

In my opinion, the wood floor looks better. Having a continuous medium has allowed me to put the dinette table a little further towards the family room so that I could put extra cabinets in the kitchen. I couldn't have done that with ceramic because the table would have straddled the wood/ceramic boarder.

One toddler fell backwards and cracked her head on the ceramic - serious goose egg and she had to be monitored for a concussion. Other toddler fell backwards and cracked her head on the wood floor - barely a whimper. (yes, I have clumbsy kids)

A little rock got stuck in the felt under one of the kitchen chairs. Pushing it in and out gave some scratches on the wood.

Patio door - do you plan on having a pool or sandbox or going in and out the patio door alot? If so, maybe it's better to have ceramic at the entrance to the patio door.

I hope something I've written helps ....

HL

The wood floor in my kitchen is much more beat up than the wood floor in the rest of the house. But honestly, who's inspecting it that closely? I prefer the overall look of the wood even though a close inspection shows flaws.
Old 2007-11-16, 11:53 AM
Regular User

The one thing to be careful is water spillage from the dishwasher and refrigerator/freezer (e.g. in a power failure).

I would have done hardwood in my kitchen but the cost was beyond what I was prepared to pay. My kitchen is modelled after the Fernhaven model home (which also has hardwood throughout). The floor plan of my house provides natural separation between the kitchen/eating area and living room anyway, so "flow" is less of an issue.
Old 2007-11-16, 12:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
The one thing to be careful is water spillage from the dishwasher and refrigerator/freezer (e.g. in a power failure).

I would have done hardwood in my kitchen but the cost was beyond what I was prepared to pay. My kitchen is modelled after the Fernhaven model home (which also has hardwood throughout). The floor plan of my house provides natural separation between the kitchen/eating area and living room anyway, so "flow" is less of an issue.

Kanata is well known for power failure.
Old 2007-11-16, 05:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha_Nikki View Post
Hi Dorni,

I'll try to spare you searching back for the thread!

I've heard that some don't like the hardwood because if stuff spills on the wood it can ruin it etc. I heard that ceramic works better in the kitchen for spills etc.

I've heard that putting hardwood in the kitchen when you have it everywhere else in the house makes the house 'flow' nicer, and that ceramic is cold/hard to walk on sometimes.

In general, it all depends on your preferance. I put hardwood everywhere including the kitchen because if something spills, I would wipe it quickly etc. I know we can't always anticipate things happening but such is life and we would deal with it should there be a flood or something! I think it looks nice and cleaning the floors with one cleaner is easier. Some people like that they can be 'harder' on their floor and put ceramic down, plus it still looks nice to me! So do whatever you think is for you.
Thanks for saving me the time of looking through the forums
Old 2007-11-16, 05:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtn75 View Post
Hi Dorni,

I bought a Berryland and chose to go with all hardwood on the main floor. Although I like the durability and ease of cleaning of ceramics in the kitchen, I went with h/w for the following reasons:

- even flow on the main floor layout
- decided on white cabinets so the h/w gave a nice contrast

If you're curious to see the inside of a Berryland, check the first model home out in the below link (G3 S3).

http://www.mattamyhomes.com/corporat...omes.asp?id=36

Good luck with your decision.
This is great...Thanks for the link
Old 2007-11-16, 05:07 PM
Regular User

Great information, thanks ALL