Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2008-02-14, 07:48 PM
Regular User

Default Advice from Emery Decor Center

We have our appt with the decor center in Woodbridge end of Feb for Phase 2of Emery's Envision. Do any of the experienced Phase 1ers have any tips/advice before going in there? Aside from having a vague idea of the colour schemes we are going for, we also received a list of these ridiculous upgrade charges (ie: $6900 for a double sides fireplace) and other indications such as "priced at decor center" - which is probrally an arm and a leg. Would appreciate of anyone could supply some constructive feedback so we have a bit of an expectation before we walk in there next week. Ie: How do alot of the standard options appeal to everyone? We received a credit for upgrades when we purchased but can already tell that it isn't going to be taking us very far!

Thanks!
Old 2008-02-14, 08:08 PM
Regular User

My only words of advice are to watch when they push certain upgrades at you. They tried very hard to convince us to upgrade the staircase to oak which was pretty pricy and they said it give us approximately $5,000 more when we sell the house. Being a Realtor I know what clients are looking for in a home and hardwood stairs is not one of them...you would be better off spending your money on the actual floors in my opinion. Just try to have a good idea of what you want before you go and remember that certain things can easily be upgraded after you close for a fraction of the cost (ex. backsplash, floors, etc) while others are probably better done through the builder like the pot lights.
Old 2008-02-14, 08:13 PM
Regular User

Thanks so much ... we are certainly going to keep all your advice in mind.
Wood floors are very nice but not $13/square foot's worth!
For that option even getting it installed from somewhere like Home Depot or Lowes is much more cost effective.
Thanks again!
Old 2008-02-15, 07:05 AM
Regular User

The upgrade prices are much better than the other builders, if you check on this board from previous posts. There were exceptions, stairs, fireplace, but everything else is half what other builders wanted or LESS.

A few examples....

Large basement windows - emery 100 , others 350
change closet doors from sliders to real doors - Emery 104, others 750
big trim emery 800, othes 2200.
Old 2008-02-15, 08:51 AM
Regular User

Last time we spoke to Decorenza they had mentioned that they are no longer handling the Emery account. So advice from Phase 1 buyers might not help Phase II and III. They mentioned this to us only about a month ago.
Old 2008-02-15, 09:10 AM
Regular User

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Last time we spoke to Decorenza they had mentioned that they are no longer handling the Emery account. So advice from Phase 1 buyers might not help Phase II and III. They mentioned this to us only about a month ago.
When I get home I will PM the listing with all prices if I can find it. Are you in a detach, semi or townhome?

As noted above I believe there inability to provide a good experience and followup was the issue and a lot of "Well Decorenza told me this". Not impressed with decorenza and a majority of the questions that we had at the decor center had to be called in because they did not know the answer. Sometimes I felt they just said no because they were too lazy to find out the actual answer.

As Amanda stated above we got suckered into the stairs as they were adiment that these could not be changed and us not knowing, a family member just had their entire staircase redone for 2 grand and their entire main level done in the same beautiful hardwood and it looks unbelievable.

The fireplace there is a quick workaround, have the gas line roughed in, we had that done for the basement, main floor and bbq, then go to a place like goemans (stoney creek not miss) for the fireplace.

The upgraded trim is definitely worth it, we got the maple cabinets and spent most money in the kitchen and bathroom for things that would difficult to do post construction.

The only switch I would make at this point is pot lights, take the 4 grand we spent on the stairs and pot the whole house inside and out. Kicking myself for that now but first time buyers you have to learn somewhere.

Other mentionables

Emery cold rooms great price ours was 1300.00 and it is huge. Door to garage was only a grand also, 3 piece basement roughin, bigger basement windows, security rough in, valance rough in, central vac trunked in garage, a few extra cable and telephone but you can talk to greg (website owner/moderator extrodinaire) about that. Other than that a few small electrical mods.

I cringe at the thought of those globe light fixtures :|
Old 2008-02-15, 09:52 AM
Regular User

Hey RFD,

You mentioned stairs being redone after for 2K.. what was underneath if you don't mind me asking? We're thinking about having the hardwood stairs but if it's doable after the fact, we'd probably opt for that. Any info you could give would be GREATLY appreciated!

VolgaOwners
Old 2008-02-15, 10:11 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolgaOwners View Post
Hey RFD,

You mentioned stairs being redone after for 2K.. what was underneath if you don't mind me asking? We're thinking about having the hardwood stairs but if it's doable after the fact, we'd probably opt for that. Any info you could give would be GREATLY appreciated!

VolgaOwners
I don't know the full details but I think it was just the standard plywood? I know at first they just had the floors done and then the tradespeople offered the stairs and as far as I know the process was removing the carpeting, then the the railings and spindles, some mod work to the risers etc, measuring and then precutting fitting the hardwood. I am on vacation for a few days so I may not get the full details but I will try to get more info as to exact cost, who and a picture or two if possible.

Thanks

Rob
Old 2008-02-15, 10:14 AM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyamanda View Post
My only words of advice are to watch when they push certain upgrades at you. They tried very hard to convince us to upgrade the staircase to oak which was pretty pricy and they said it give us approximately $5,000 more when we sell the house. Being a Realtor I know what clients are looking for in a home and hardwood stairs is not one of them...you would be better off spending your money on the actual floors in my opinion. Just try to have a good idea of what you want before you go and remember that certain things can easily be upgraded after you close for a fraction of the cost (ex. backsplash, floors, etc) while others are probably better done through the builder like the pot lights.
I guess I would disagree with you on the hardwood stairs. Perhaps it might depend on the area but at least here in Brampton, Mississauga, Woodbridge, etc. hardwood stairs is a must. It's not something easily doable after closing like a back splash. Perhaps if you have a smaller starter home, then yes & if you decide to sell, others will not expect to see hardwood stairs, but same can go for granite & other more fancy upgrades. Different price points of homes will demand diff. standard features. So in larger homes, I feel it does add value! Perhaps we can have a poll & see what people think
Old 2008-02-15, 10:18 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolgaOwners View Post
How much is the builder asking for the stairs?

Sure it's doable after closing but it's messy job & unless you plan to do it yourself, you still have to pay someone & it's not cheap.