Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2008-06-29, 07:30 PM
Regular User

Default We urgently need more rest areas on 401

I use 401 quiet often, usually between Ottawa and Toronto, sometimes all the way to Detroit. I can tell you for sure that the rush at the service centers is nowhere close to what was there 3 years ago including long weekends. Even other Tim Hortons close to 401 are packed on the weekends. Even with rising gas prices, people prefer to stay home but that still didn't cut long distance commute. Where is all our tax money are going which we pay on gas?

I really wanted my voice heard, didn't think of anywhere else I should have posted this.
Old 2008-06-29, 08:50 PM
Regular User

hmmm we've been in TO 6 yrs now and we commute back home to Ottawa every long weekend, holiday, and many weekends in between. We think there's plenty rest areas, restaurants, and coffee shops and never found them to be overly busy. The drive from Ottawa to North Bay (hwy 17), now there's something to complain about. It's a ghost ride and you're lucky if you find a crappy coffee time on the way. Something to look forward to when we move back and I'll have to travel that to see my family up North.
Old 2008-06-29, 09:34 PM
Regular User

Well hwy 17 isn't 400 series, so I would care a little less (as there are whole bunch of highways like that, that need rest areas), but 75 KMs of 416? seriously its a road leading towards capital. Even on exit 57 there is sign for services but you have to drive few KMs inside to get to the Tim Hortons.

And if you drive from anywhere before Toronto, (like Kitchener, London, Windsor or Michigan or farther) There is no rest area 161 KMs. (There was one near winston churchil exit of Mississauga, they shut it down.) What would you do? take exit in Toronto? where everything is already overly busy already?

But seriously, its not easy to stretch the legs anymore anywhere on 401. I should have taken picture of the rush at the first rest area after I crossed Toronto. There was no place to even move. Anyone who have used the rest area in the past wouldn't believe it what I saw. Even it took me half an hour in the line at the rest area near London yesterday to get a coffee from Tim Hortons.
Old 2008-06-30, 12:07 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudz View Post
Well hwy 17 isn't 400 series, so I would care a little less (as there are whole bunch of highways like that, that need rest areas), but 75 KMs of 416? seriously its a road leading towards capital. Even on exit 57 there is sign for services but you have to drive few KMs inside to get to the Tim Hortons.

And if you drive from anywhere before Toronto, (like Kitchener, London, Windsor or Michigan or farther) There is no rest area 161 KMs. (There was one near winston churchil exit of Mississauga, they shut it down.) What would you do? take exit in Toronto? where everything is already overly busy already?

But seriously, its not easy to stretch the legs anymore anywhere on 401. I should have taken picture of the rush at the first rest area after I crossed Toronto. There was no place to even move. Anyone who have used the rest area in the past wouldn't believe it what I saw. Even it took me half an hour in the line at the rest area near London yesterday to get a coffee from Tim Hortons.
try driving over 2 hours on highway with NO flush toilets, never mind a coffee place! have you ever driven highway 17 up north??

And having a rest area on the 416?? If someone can't hold their bladder or have enough caffeine from Prescott to Ottawa.. well then... uh, they've got problems Heaven forbid one has to drive a few kms off the highway to get that precious tim horton's coffee...

Sorry - but I don't agree with you. I think the province has far bigger transportation/infrastructure issues to deal with than building more rest stops!
Old 2008-06-30, 07:57 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine&Chris View Post
try driving over 2 hours on highway with NO flush toilets, never mind a coffee place! have you ever driven highway 17 up north??
YES!!! Exactly! We take that hwy to visit my family. What a nighmare that highway is. Has it improved? Since being here we take Hwy 11 and that's been fantastic. Moving back to OT, we'll have to take the 17 again. Oh and then the best part to shave off 45 mins we take a mountain road in Mattawa, which I don't think has been repaved or serviced in god knows how many years. I think it's Highway 535 or 555. After that we take Hwy 63. Another crappy highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine&Chris View Post
And having a rest area on the 416?? If someone can't hold their bladder or have enough caffeine from Prescott to Ottawa.. well then... uh, they've got problems Heaven forbid one has to drive a few kms off the highway to get that precious tim horton's coffee...
Uhm yes! Taking the 401 to Ottawa has been great but I cringe the minute I see we're getting on the 416. Hate it. Won't have to make that travel much longer. We're giving our apartment notice today. Moving back for Sept 1st.
Old 2008-06-30, 08:37 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
YES!!! Exactly! We take that hwy to visit my family. What a nighmare that highway is. Has it improved? Since being here we take Hwy 11 and that's been fantastic. Moving back to OT, we'll have to take the 17 again. Oh and then the best part to shave off 45 mins we take a mountain road in Mattawa, which I don't think has been repaved or serviced in god knows how many years. I think it's Highway 535 or 555. After that we take Hwy 63. Another crappy highway.
Oh no nanners i'm talking highway 17 north of sault ste. marie... um YIKES!!! Wayyyyy worse than Ottawa to North Bay! haha
Old 2008-06-30, 09:13 AM
Regular User

Well, I have driven in plenty of smaller highways. But if you plan to take those highways, you hold your bladder until you see some restaurant or something. But if you are holding it for 401 rest area, specially on long weekend.. Good Luck! The old days are gone for good.
Old 2008-07-13, 10:11 PM
Regular User

Today, I had to drive round and round to find a parking spot in the rest area just after London, while coming back to Ottawa. Its really getting crazy.
Old 2008-10-12, 04:36 PM
Regular User

I think they are on a negative trend.. Closing existing ones rather then opening new ones.
The closed one in Mississauga near Winston Churchil (East bound) long time ago, never opened again..
The closed west bound last rest area going towards Windsor. (Not sure if they reopend it or not..
They closed another rest area recently on west bound near Kingston (one with Tim Hortons and Shell near a mountain..)

Is that what the travellers pay taxes on gas for?