Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-10-19, 12:06 PM
Regular User

Default Dripping sounds & hot water tank

Hi everyone,

I'm slowing losing my jitters - lovin' home ownership.

Quick question b/c my boyfriend and I aren't handy at all.

Whenever the hot water tank is running, there is a very distinct dripping sound somewhere in the bottem floor. It stops as soon as the hot water tank turns off. I am assuming that this is a leak - - - which is not good because it sounds like it is behind the walls.

I am thinking of approaching the warranty office next week, is my hunch correct, is it likely a leak? I really don't think this is normal.

Thank you!

1st_home_losing_my_jitters!!!
Old 2008-10-19, 04:16 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_home_w_jitters View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm slowing losing my jitters - lovin' home ownership.

Quick question b/c my boyfriend and I aren't handy at all.

Whenever the hot water tank is running, there is a very distinct dripping sound somewhere in the bottem floor. It stops as soon as the hot water tank turns off. I am assuming that this is a leak - - - which is not good because it sounds like it is behind the walls.

I am thinking of approaching the warranty office next week, is my hunch correct, is it likely a leak? I really don't think this is normal.

Thank you!

1st_home_losing_my_jitters!!!
When you say bottom floor do you mean basement? or do you mean you're hearing dripping sounds behind the walls on the main floor?

I cannot see how a leak and the water tank running could be connected. The water tank runs when it's reheating the water in the tank so no water flows through the house until you open a tap. If the pipes were leaking behind the walls chances are you wouldn't hear a dripping sound either.
Old 2008-10-19, 04:52 PM
Regular User

if u hear it around the tank is likely condensatio dripping down the flue pipe and then drips down onto the burner. normal stuff

also if its power vented and the ventimg is not properly slopped you may here trapped condensate in the vent pipe. i see this often on some new construction sites. u need a quarter inch per foot slope.
Old 2008-10-19, 09:52 PM
Regular User

Default Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to say - I don't have a basement, I'm a village-home-er - - - - it doesn't make sense to me either having the dripping. It is only when the hot water tank is running and no where near the vent pipe. I guess I will speak to Warranty and see what they say. It sounds like it is behind the walls . . . hmmm. . . I'll post what they say.
Old 2008-10-20, 07:59 AM
Regular User

It could be any metal pipes/fittings close to the w/heater expanding as they heat up. This sometimes sounds like dripping.
Old 2008-10-20, 09:08 AM
Regular User

Thanks Dave_B, you should work in construction, thats exactly what the warranty office told me. As the knocking/dripping sound is only when the hot water tank is running (and it is not heard any other time), it is the expansion of the pipes.

Whew, glad to hear that it is not a major problem.
Old 2008-10-20, 09:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_home_w_jitters View Post
Thanks Dave_B, you should work in construction, thats exactly what the warranty office told me. As the knocking/dripping sound is only when the hot water tank is running (and it is not heard any other time), it is the expansion of the pipes.

Whew, glad to hear that it is not a major problem.
Is there a way to fix it... or do you have to just live with it? Is it loud enough to get annoying?
2 weeks to closing I get a...
2nd Delay *NEW* closing: January 2009 (this better be it!)
Fairwinds, Kanata

Old 2008-10-20, 05:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Stroumboulopoulos View Post
Is there a way to fix it... or do you have to just live with it? Is it loud enough to get annoying?
They don't fix it - its just something you have to live with. Thankfully the hot water heater doesn't turn on too often, and I don't find it too annoying to live with. Its just a knocking sound and it made me very curious. It is noticeable . . . my father has a six year old Ashcroft home with the same thing but his is a little louder.
Old 2008-10-20, 06:38 PM
Regular User

is that water heater also heating a air handler? If so it may require a expansion tank. Again i have no idea what appliance you ahve untill you post a make and model number. Otherwise its just guess work....
Old 2008-10-20, 10:44 PM
Regular User

Default Model number

Hi TKG26 - I am soooo out of my element - I don't know if is also an air handler

I looked at the water heater - its the biggest i ever seen for such a small house (1096 sq feet) - its a natural gas automatic storage water heater . . . model number GP650YTVITCGA. We were supposed to get tankless water heater but due to the problems, this was put in instead. .. .