Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-03-07, 10:59 PM
Regular User

Default Tamarack Owners - Educate me on the Bristol

** DISREGARD THREAD, going with Tartan ... explanation below ***

We are looking to upgrade from our Richcraft Carlisle LE townhome in Woodroffe Estates to a Tamarack Bristol in Findlay Creek. Barrhaven sucks, and living on a flight path sucks.

That said, I'd love to hear from Bristol/Tamarack owners -- how did you enjoy your experience? Can you give me an idea of what upgrades you would recommend, or seen done?

Right now the price is $384,900 plus 10K design centre bonus. I went in with my realtor, but i understand that they also give referral bonuses, so I'll try to weasel that out of them (I'll do my best to suggest a referral by the first person to PM me their name)

I would like ideas on the following:
-site-finished hardwood flooring -- will Tamarack do this?
-staircase open to the basement? how much?
-paint quality?
-grading quality? any standing water problems?
-shingle style? regular 3-tab, or the fancy-pants shake-look-alike?
-cabinets in powder room instead of pedestal?
-bigger windows in the basement? (we will be purchasing 9ft ceilings)

Thanks!

Last edited by Fingers; 2009-03-08 at 08:45 PM.
Old 2009-03-07, 11:38 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the PMs, I've got a person to share the referral with!
Old 2009-03-08, 12:12 AM
Regular User

That didn't take long!

Tell me though...why are you leaning towards site finished hardwood?
I tend to think that prefinished have more layers of coatings and UV protection on them.
What benefits can you get with site finished?

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Old 2009-03-08, 12:25 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcnally View Post
That didn't take long!

Tell me though...why are you leaning towards site finished hardwood?
I tend to think that prefinished have more layers of coatings and UV protection on them.
What benefits can you get with site finished?
I find the site-finished has a more uniform and homogenous look. I've had nothing but trouble with our flooring... 1 year old (superior cocoa maple low-sheen 35 yr warranty), and looks like crap. just a bad quality product, with any amount of moisture/humidity prompting the finish to peel and flake. I spilt a glass of water once, and destroyed a 2ft x 4ft section of floor. You say "boo!" and the stuff dents/nicks.

I find the site-finished stuff is more durable, and even if it scratches, the repair is simpler and not as conspicuous.
Old 2009-03-08, 07:50 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
We are looking to upgrade from our Richcraft Carlisle LE townhome in Woodroffe Estates to a Tamarack Bristol in Findlay Creek. Barrhaven sucks, and living on a flight path sucks.

That said, I'd love to hear from Bristol/Tamarack owners -- how did you enjoy your experience? Can you give me an idea of what upgrades you would recommend, or seen done?
2 out of the 3 new homes I have owned were Tamarack. I thought the process from start to finish was good overall. I like the fact that many upgrades are already standard in the home. We had to upgrade very little.

No location is absolutely perfect. FC has it's own issues. In fact, FC is closer to the airport runways then Barrhaven.

On site finished hardwood is not a better product than pre-finished. The finish of on site finished hardwood will crack as the house settles and this will not look nice.

I do not understand how one glass of water caused so much damage to your floor. I had a sink overflow from my laundroom into my livingroom. Probably half a gallon or more of water spilled and there was no damage.

Your money would be better spent doing structural upgrades such as:

- opening up the kitchen
- bigger windows in the basement
- potlights

or even:
- heated floors in the master bath
- upgraded kitchen counters
- upgrade the backsplash
- upgrade the hood vent

Last edited by golfer; 2009-03-08 at 08:51 AM.
Old 2009-03-08, 10:40 AM
Regular User

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree

I understand it's closer to the airport, but not being on a flight path makes an incredible difference in the amount of noise. Presently, I can't even carry on a conversation outside in my backyard, and if you're talking on the phone -- fahghettaboutit.
Old 2009-03-08, 08:47 PM
Regular User

I was asked via PM about why we are going with the Tartan Beckwith rather than the Bristol... I figured my reply might help others, so here it is:

We were on the fence between the Bristol and the Amberley... The amberley had very small bedrooms, and a strange kitchen layout... but beautiful otherwise. The Bristol had much better bedrooms, and again a strange kitchen layout (the bulkhead -- what's with that? you can't put tall upper-cabinets, nor can you even put crown moulding on the cabinets) When going into the basement, I noticed that Tamarack had used inferior quality floor joists, and supported them by adding MANY beams -- much more than were truly neccesary for the span of the joists, had they used the appropriate joists. This translates into having many many bulkheads, come time to finish the basement. I didn't like this at all. Also, the basement perimeter walls WERE NOT STUDDED, they just power-shot a 1x2 onto the wall, and vapour-barrierred the insulation into place... just really cheap on the materials... it would have cost them nothing at all to frame the perimeter walls, and make finishing the basement that much easier. Plus, no matter which of the two models you chose, you were practically forced into upgrading to their optional layout -- the dinette build-out in the Amberley, and the island kitchen in the Bristol.

We went to stittsville today, and stumbled upon the Beckwith model home. It was STUNNING. And the shocking part is, it wasn't very upgraded at all. Most of the flooring was standard... just a few extra potlights, paint colours, upgraded backsplash, and an extra foot of foundation space in the basement (which we were planning on doing regardless of model)

So yeah... if you're looking at the singles, i would urge you to look at Tartan.
Old 2009-03-10, 09:16 AM
Regular User

I'll chime in...

FWIW, whatever the builders put in the basement is GARBAGE. The tamarack stuff is easy enough to rip when it's time to finish the basement so it's a plus IMHO.

As for the bulkheads in the bristol it's not too bad. Just pay for the 9' ceiling in the basement and you can finish it with 8' ceilings everywhere. AS for the 1st floor, I've got no issue with the bulkhead in the kitchen. Keep in mind that the room (great room + kitchen + dining room) is BIG when it's open concept so something has to hold everything in place. Sure, using bigger I-beams and floor joists would be better but that comes at a big cost.

The amberley has a ****ty layout when it comes to the basement, there are too many posts in weird locations.

Don't put too much hopes on "the tartan was stunning and barely upgraded", whoever you go with you'll get reamed when it comes the time to upgrade. They are better than the cheaper builders though because you don't have to upgrade all sorts of stupid things since the basic homes come fairly well equipped. FWIW, I went with the bristol because tamarack had the lot I wanted and the bristol was nice. I did not even consider tartan due to lot choice but I doubt that you can go wrong with either.

One last thing: you are actually the first person that I see admitting that living in barrhaven under the flight path is incredibly annoying. Everyone else says "that's not bad, you get used to it". I'm glad I picked stittsville instead of barrhaven (those were my two choices)
Old 2009-03-10, 11:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
I'll chime in...

FWIW, whatever the builders put in the basement is GARBAGE. The tamarack stuff is easy enough to rip when it's time to finish the basement so it's a plus IMHO.

As for the bulkheads in the bristol it's not too bad. Just pay for the 9' ceiling in the basement and you can finish it with 8' ceilings everywhere. AS for the 1st floor, I've got no issue with the bulkhead in the kitchen. Keep in mind that the room (great room + kitchen + dining room) is BIG when it's open concept so something has to hold everything in place. Sure, using bigger I-beams and floor joists would be better but that comes at a big cost.

The amberley has a ****ty layout when it comes to the basement, there are too many posts in weird locations.

Don't put too much hopes on "the tartan was stunning and barely upgraded", whoever you go with you'll get reamed when it comes the time to upgrade. They are better than the cheaper builders though because you don't have to upgrade all sorts of stupid things since the basic homes come fairly well equipped. FWIW, I went with the bristol because tamarack had the lot I wanted and the bristol was nice. I did not even consider tartan due to lot choice but I doubt that you can go wrong with either.

One last thing: you are actually the first person that I see admitting that living in barrhaven under the flight path is incredibly annoying. Everyone else says "that's not bad, you get used to it". I'm glad I picked stittsville instead of barrhaven (those were my two choices)

Wow! Long time no see....
Where have you been hiding?

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Old 2010-04-25, 08:43 AM
Regular User

Default Bulkhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
I was asked via PM about why we are going with the Tartan Beckwith rather than the Bristol... I figured my reply might help others, so here it is:

We were on the fence between the Bristol and the Amberley... The amberley had very small bedrooms, and a strange kitchen layout... but beautiful otherwise. The Bristol had much better bedrooms, and again a strange kitchen layout (the bulkhead -- what's with that? you can't put tall upper-cabinets, nor can you even put crown moulding on the cabinets) When going into the basement, I noticed that Tamarack had used inferior quality floor joists, and supported them by adding MANY beams -- much more than were truly neccesary for the span of the joists, had they used the appropriate joists. This translates into having many many bulkheads, come time to finish the basement. I didn't like this at all. Also, the basement perimeter walls WERE NOT STUDDED, they just power-shot a 1x2 onto the wall, and vapour-barrierred the insulation into place... just really cheap on the materials... it would have cost them nothing at all to frame the perimeter walls, and make finishing the basement that much easier. Plus, no matter which of the two models you chose, you were practically forced into upgrading to their optional layout -- the dinette build-out in the Amberley, and the island kitchen in the Bristol.

We went to stittsville today, and stumbled upon the Beckwith model home. It was STUNNING. And the shocking part is, it wasn't very upgraded at all. Most of the flooring was standard... just a few extra potlights, paint colours, upgraded backsplash, and an extra foot of foundation space in the basement (which we were planning on doing regardless of model)

So yeah... if you're looking at the singles, i would urge you to look at Tartan.
Hi,

The bulkhead is a steel beam that runs across the open concept room. You need the steel beam because there are no structural walls to support the rooms above on the second floor. In fact they also run two steel beams across in the garage below the master bedroom. In the basement you will find two rows of steel beams that also to support the first floor.

Home on the Range