Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-05-10, 01:59 AM
Regular User

Default VOIP: primus or Vonage

We are thinking about getting a landline (we've been using celphones only). Conventional phone lines are fine but we're considering VOIP features. I know of only Primus and Vonage that are available in Barrhaven. Is there anything else?

Has anyone had any experience with any of them? With Roger's highspeed, is it going to function as it should just like a regular phone?

You comments on experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 2009-05-10, 02:52 AM
Regular User

I have a land line since I need that for security connection. But, I have also a VOIP from Vonage for more than 3 years for my business line and it is great.
Old 2009-05-10, 07:04 AM
Regular User

We've had Primus for many, many years and it's been great for us. I have no complaints about the service. Much cheaper than Bell. We also have Rogers High Speed Internet.
Old 2009-05-10, 07:15 AM
Regular User

VOIP is available everywhere. As long as you have a high speed internet connection. (Cable is the only one that makes sense, or a DSL on a dryloop land line)
Before considering them, there are few cons.

1. It's service is dependent on your internet service. If that is down, you are out of phone line. That can be down because of the provider or if your modem or router freezes. Its also goes down from time to time because of maintanance of the VOIP servers.

2. Most of the companies have hefty cancellation fees that you might not find in the contract.

3. Home alarm companies dont install their system on VOIP lines because of reasons given in 1.

I have been using comwave for last few years. Because it has great rates for international calls, along with unlimited US and Canada. (By the way most of the VOIP companies provide unlimited US and Canada.)
Old 2009-05-10, 07:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudz View Post
VOIP is available everywhere. As long as you have a high speed internet connection. (Cable is the only one that makes sense, or a DSL on a dryloop land line)
Before considering them, there are few cons.

1. It's service is dependent on your internet service. If that is down, you are out of phone line. That can be down because of the provider or if your modem or router freezes. Its also goes down from time to time because of maintanance of the VOIP servers.

2. Most of the companies have hefty cancellation fees that you might not find in the contract.

3. Home alarm companies dont install their system on VOIP lines because of reasons given in 1.

I have been using comwave for last few years. Because it has great rates for international calls, along with unlimited US and Canada. (By the way most of the VOIP companies provide unlimited US and Canada.)
Mudz,

You are incorrect on point # 2 alarm companies can and will install on a VOIP system as there are now different ways to make the system compatible and to work without any problems.
Old 2009-05-10, 07:43 AM
Regular User

What would be typical initial costs to set up a system? We currently have 4 phones in our home.
Old 2009-05-10, 08:25 AM
Regular User

Primus was an absolute nightmare for us. The service works fine when it works, but god forbid you have a problem... you will be dealing with the absolute scum of the service industry.

When they terminated the line, there was unbearable static, echo, and latency... calls would drop constantly... Primus refused to send out service techs and instead blamed it on the home wiring and the telephones we used. "We ran tests and everything was fine" After escalation to several managers, they finally sent a service tech out who fixed the problem at the demarc. A few months later the problem came back. This went on for another year before we finally got fed up.

When we went to cancel and switch to Rogers Home Phone, they continued billing us for another 3 months after cancellation (you only owe them 10 days notice before your next billing cycle). They refused to refund it. Thanks to the intervention of a few managers at Rogers, they convinced Primus to finally stop billing us when they showed proof that the phone number was switched over 3 months prior.

When we switched to Rogers, it was a day and night difference. The service is amazing, and definitely worth the extra few bucks a month.

It's important to note that many cheaper VoIP setups do not have UPS backup, and are reliant on your own internet connection. So you can imagine what happens if your power goes out and you need to dial 911. It's also important to note that Rogers home phone is not VoIP, it just uses coax as the medium. The phone box is also equipped with a battery backup for power outages.
Old 2009-05-10, 12:30 PM
Regular User

If you plan to go the VoIP route, it may be a good idea to have a cell phone handy in case the power or the Internet goes down as some of the PP already mentioned.

Primus has never been known for good customer service, well maybe in the early get-go yes but when it gets flooded with new customers because of their aggressive pricing, all hell broke loose.
Old 2009-05-10, 01:40 PM
Regular User

I had posted the following in another topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis&Sarah View Post
We have been with Vonage for almost 4 years now and we absolutely love it. It's funny because I try to get my friends to switch over as well, that I might as well be working for them.

We don't use the phone much, so we have opted for the $19.99 plan. This includes 500 minutes a month to anywhere in North America, so if you ever do need to make a long distance call then you're good to go. No extra fees. It includes call display, call waiting, 3 way calling, voice mail, free vonage to vonage, and if we're waiting for an important phone call we get it to simultaneously ring to our cell phones if we're out of the house. Click on the link for more free vonage features . Sometimes when we go to visit our families we bring our vonage device so we can still recieve phone calls or make phone calls when we're not at home.

Obviously the downside to having any VOIP is the 911 issue, but as long as you keep your address up to date you should be okay (however, if you usually have your cell phone around, then you don't have to worry.) Another downside is that if you ever want to cancel you'll have to pay $40 to disconnect.

We did think about switching to Rogers My Home Advantage, but after doing the math we're still paying less if we just pay for Rogers Cable and Internet as well as Vonage separately.
One feature that I didn't mention is how you can set a Network Availability Number. So if you ever lose your internet connection and your phone is not working, it will automatically forward to another number, in our case our cell phone.

Anyway, it's now been over 5 years with Vonage, and we have no plans on switching. As you can tell I'm a big supporter, so obviously I'm going to recommend it.
Old 2009-05-10, 01:49 PM
Regular User

Must say I've had great service from Vonage for the last 3 years. As Dennis&Sarah mentioned the Network Availability Number is a great feature.

Note: if you're planning to use VOIP phone service with a HighSpeed "Lite" Internet connection be prepared for the voice quality to suffer a bit if you're talking and downloading at the same time.