Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2009-05-30, 12:39 PM
Regular User

Default Hardwood to tiled areas

Looks like I may have screwed up
.....moving in next week, decided to do the hardwood myself, had the builder raise the trim 3/4 inch and add the same height to the bull nose around the stair pickets, but I did not look at the tile height
Sundial uses concrete under the tile, raising it up about an inch!

I did not take that into account

so my options are to add another subfloor to raise it to tile level, but now Im off on my trim around the stair, and have to pull off and raise/replace the wall trim

or lay the hardwood as planed and leave a small lip where it meets the tile

...any suggestions, options?

Thanks
Old 2009-05-30, 01:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahleeshouse View Post
Looks like I may have screwed up
.....moving in next week, decided to do the hardwood myself, had the builder raise the trim 3/4 inch and add the same height to the bull nose around the stair pickets, but I did not look at the tile height
Sundial uses concrete under the tile, raising it up about an inch!

I did not take that into account

so my options are to add another subfloor to raise it to tile level, but now Im off on my trim around the stair, and have to pull off and raise/replace the wall trim

or lay the hardwood as planed and leave a small lip where it meets the tile

...any suggestions, options?

Thanks
I ended up having the same problem. I have a bout 10 feet in total of transition between the hardwood and the tile. Aesthetically it looks fine. It abuts nicely to the marble thresholds but the marble threshold is raised up a bit. So you just have to be careful not to stub your toe or make sure any little ones don't trip. In my case I was told the only option was to change the marble threshold to a different style that works better with a reducer. Changing the marble threshold for this would be a lot of time and effort not worth it too me so I left it. I can live with it. I am trying to learn to expect things not to be perfect with a new house. When you do that things are less stressful
Old 2009-05-30, 01:26 PM
Regular User

Default thanks

......good to know I am not the only guy

it still looks nice I presume? I think I would do the same and just leave the marble as it is, it does have a beveled edge to it so it would finished, just not smooth flowing from wood to tile

I am a bit of a perfectionist I just hope it does not bug me once I decide

I really dont see too many options

I wonder how Sundial would have layed down the wood if I went through them ( its not as thick from them), they would have the same problem...has anyone gone with the free wood from the builder that can comment?

cheers
Old 2009-05-30, 11:31 PM
Regular User

My builder used a mortar bed and my hardwood was about 1/4" below the tile. I would have preferred it level - figure it's worth $500 to $1000 to me - more than the cost of 1/4" underlay but not the cost of all new 1" nosings.
Old 2009-06-01, 08:09 AM
Regular User

Default floor

That is unusual! Normally the tile is a little lower than the floor except in the laundry. You can buy transition pieces that are cut to different sizes on each side to allow for the change in height. They look good but not as nice as not having any transition. Actually I like them but “The War Department” doesn’t.
There is a hardwood flooring expert on the site, you may want to ask them for help. I believe they call themselves PATROB.
Old 2009-06-01, 09:15 AM
Regular User

Default thanks guys

I did go through a fernbrook house with hardwood to tile , and it had the same problem....did not look all that bad!

I guess i never noticed other homes with the step up

Sundial did a great job with our house....looking forward to moving in next week

thanks everyone for your input
Old 2009-06-01, 09:27 AM
Regular User

Our tile in our current house is about 1/2 an inch higher than the hardwood. The builder used pieces of hardwood as a transition. Estentially the transition to the two types of flooring looks like a ramp. The hardwood transition meets at the edge of the tile then angles down so the other edge of the transition is flush with the remainer of the hardwood floor. I'm not sure how this was accomplished but there is no lip to catch toes on and esthetically it looks nice. I have been in alot of different homes and seen this same technique used.