Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2009-10-21, 10:32 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudz View Post
I have always been with Rogers on and off. It has its own advantages. Internet is best with Rogers, but I do not recommend it for HD content. I have never tried Bell, but Rogers HD has occasional pixallation, sometimes the quality of HD is compromised. I have attic mounted antenna as well, to compare the quality of local HD channels vs the ones provided by Rogers, and I can tell you for sure, that at times, Rogers quality of HD channels is worse.
Rogers or BELL HD videos are compressed. The OTA you are getting are not.
Old 2009-10-21, 11:17 AM
Regular User

Visit RedFlagDeals, read the retentions thread, write down the very best deal that anyone has posted about getting from Bell/Rogers. Call up Rogers/Bell (whichever is the "other" company), ask for retentions say that's the deal you want them to meet or beat.

Hey Mudz, what kind of antenna do you have in your attic? And how many OTA channels do you get? I have plain old rabbit ears behind my TV, and on a good day I get about 4 channels of HD and a half dozen fuzzy analog ones. I might consider the attic approach if I can get better reception...
Old 2009-10-24, 06:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzricezz View Post
Rogers or BELL HD videos are compressed. The OTA you are getting are not.
Doesn't matter. The OTA video is compressed to MPEG 2. Bell and Rogers should be compressed to MPEG 4. MPEG 4 doesn't have to compromise the quality. The only difference is it should require a more processing, and the digital box should effectively do it without taking too much time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post

Hey Mudz, what kind of antenna do you have in your attic? And how many OTA channels do you get? I have plain old rabbit ears behind my TV, and on a good day I get about 4 channels of HD and a half dozen fuzzy analog ones. I might consider the attic approach if I can get better reception...
I have built my own coat hanger antenna. It was pretty simple to make. You can search you tube for "coat hanger antenna". I am getting all the 5 HD channels (CBC English/French, Sun TV both SD and HD, OMNI 1 and 2.) OMNI 2 was the hardest to get, but anyways I was able to find the right spot in the attic where I could get it. It wasn't possible at all if I placed the antenna near TV. All the analog channels are in pretty good quality. No luck so far catching US channels. You can drop by some time, I can how you my setup.

Last edited by Mudz; 2009-10-24 at 10:18 PM.
Old 2009-12-29, 04:29 PM
Regular User

Hey everyone,

I just got around to doing this and called Bell today. Here's what I was offered after a bit of negotiating.

-30% HD Essentials programming for 1 year
-Free HD model 6131 receiver for 2 years
-5 HD Theme choices free for 6 months.

They originally offered me a free HD PVR model 9241 dual tuner receiver for 1 year and 20% off programming but I declined because they said the receiver requires 2 coax connections. My only HD capable TV is on the 2nd floor in my master so there is no way the tech will be able to run another coax up to the receiver. When I mentioned that would be an issue they tried to assure me the tech will be able to do it... (yeah right). I don't want a Bell tech running cables up the outside of my house, so I chose the other receiver and 30% off.

Does anyone else have the 6131 that allows an external HDD to be connected to it? Does it have a scheduler that will allow me to schedule a program to PVR when I'm not home?
Old 2009-12-29, 04:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
Hey everyone,

I just got around to doing this and called Bell today. Here's what I was offered after a bit of negotiating.

-30% HD Essentials programming for 1 year
-Free HD model 6131 receiver for 2 years
-5 HD Theme choices free for 6 months.

They originally offered me a free HD PVR model 9241 dual tuner receiver for 1 year and 20% off programming but I declined because they said the receiver requires 2 coax connections. My only HD capable TV is on the 2nd floor in my master so there is no way the tech will be able to run another coax up to the receiver. When I mentioned that would be an issue they tried to assure me the tech will be able to do it... (yeah right). I don't want a Bell tech running cables up the outside of my house, so I chose the other receiver and 30% off.

Does anyone else have the 6131 that allows an external HDD to be connected to it? Does it have a scheduler that will allow me to schedule a program to PVR when I'm not home?
Seems to be the going retention package from Bell.

I have an 6131 with an external hdd connected to it. It basically turns it into a 9131 except it's a single tuner. AFAIK, you cannot schedule the PVR away from home. I don't think there are any PVRs that can do this (from Bell, Rogers, etc.) out of the box. You would need some extra piece of equipment like a Slingbox or connecting the receiver to a media pc.

Close date: July 16, 2009
Old 2009-12-29, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
You mean dial it up or connect to it over the internet? Haven't seen any PVR model from Bell/Rogers/Shaw that did that.

The 6141 boxes are nice. I just put 3 of them in a rack a while ago. Nice hardware.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-12-29, 08:47 PM
Regular User

6131 allows an HDD to be added to make it a PVR.

I just plugged my external drive in and from what I understand you have to be "watching" what you are recording. there is a channel that explains everything I believe but I don't remember which one it is.

Old 2009-12-29, 10:51 PM
Regular User

Thanks everyone.

Sorry if I was confusing. I don't want to schedule it remotely. What I meant was can I set up a schedule of any kind with this model so that it will record when I'm not present? or do I need to be watching TV and hit record manually?

SoNgMaN - Do you know if I plug in my external drive does it get formatted by the PVR? I have one external drive but it has data on it and was hoping I could use this drive for the PVR function without the data being lost. (ie. record onto a separate partition). If not, I will have to go out and purchase another external drive which is a bummer.
Old 2009-12-29, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Find a program you want to record, either running now or running sometime in the future, press record. If it's a series it will ask you if you want to record it daily, weekly, etc.. Just like a VCR.

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

Sorry if I was confusing. I don't want to schedule it remotely. What I meant was can I set up a schedule of any kind with this model so that it will record when I'm not present? or do I need to be watching TV and hit record manually?

SoNgMaN - Do you know if I plug in my external drive does it get formatted by the PVR? I have one external drive but it has data on it and was hoping I could use this drive for the PVR function without the data being lost. (ie. record onto a separate partition). If not, I will have to go out and purchase another external drive which is a bummer.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-12-30, 08:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

The Bell PVR functionality is pretty good. It's as easy as finding a program, hitting record and then it will give you options such as record new episodes only, all episodes, etc. You can even it tell it to start a bit earlier and end a bit later (good if you like recording sports in case it goes into OT). *edit* whoops...didn't see GregS had responded already

It will reformat the harddrive so best you take all data off before you connect it to the 6131. After that you won't be able to connect it back to your pc without reformatting again.

Close date: July 16, 2009

Last edited by Fernwater@HMB; 2009-12-30 at 01:39 PM.