Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2013-01-09, 12:33 AM
Regular User

Default Electrical/Wiring experiences?

Hi all,

Just going through process of choosing wiring/electrical for house, and am wondering about people's experiences on audio/video setups. Are people getting the Control 4 automation, and if so, was it worth it? I was planning a simple layout of components and a few iPad's, but some of these other options sound interesting (I have simple needs - primarily just hiding bulky components from sight). Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 2013-01-09, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Not sure I understand the question.. Is getting Control4 worth it? That's up to you really. Home automation can add some nifty things to your home, even if it is Control4 (I'm a Crestron dealer)

It will certainly add cost, but distributed audio, lighting control, climate control, shading, video distribution, home theatre, integrated alarm and cameras, etc.. Can all create some cool possibilities.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2013-01-09, 10:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Not sure I understand the question.. Is getting Control4 worth it? That's up to you really. Home automation can add some nifty things to your home, even if it is Control4 (I'm a Crestron dealer)

It will certainly add cost, but distributed audio, lighting control, climate control, shading, video distribution, home theatre, integrated alarm and cameras, etc.. Can all create some cool possibilities.
I didn't know you did Crestron, Greg! We just put in a huge Crestron-based AV install at work. The DM32 is a monster behind all of the AV switching. Being here through the entire install and seeing the tight Crestron integration has made me realize that the other solutions out there are really pretty mediocre. Alas there's no way I can afford it in my own house, even with the nice buddy discounts I'd get from knowing the installers and dealers. Haha oh well, that's what you pay for a solution like that I guess.
Old 2013-01-12, 10:03 AM
Regular User

Pre-wiring is key to places that will be tough to get to like ceiling speakers, and pretty much everything in the second floor for speakers, security, cable, cat6, etc.

If you're thinking of staying for a long while, add conduits from basement to second floor in case you want to wire fibre if/when you get FTTH in your area.

If you specify your requirements, members here will give you more detailed answers.

Good luck and enjoy the process.