Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2017-02-22, 01:22 PM
Regular User

Default South facing bedroom very warm

One of our bedrooms faces south. We have put room darkening drapes that are closed most of the day, but even with that the room is 6-7 degrees warmer than the set temperature. I have the furnace fan running continuously and there is a cold air return in the bedroom. I've just added heat control film to one of the window panels.

I would expect a south facing room to be warmer, but is that variance normal or should I be seeing if we can better balance the temperatures with the HVAC? Any other suggestions to make this room more liveable? It is better if the door is left open, but that's not really a solution in this case.

I worry what that room will be like in the summer.
Old 2017-02-23, 07:38 PM
Regular User

Id check (or have checked) the HVAC system - see what the CFM and temperature is of the air coming out of the heat register. Is it one of the smaller bedrooms? Have you tried partially closing off the damper in the heat boot a bit? (careful reaching in there, usually some very pointy screws) Is the bedroom door normally closed or open?

Also - what is the cladding on the outside? Dark brick could warm up in the sun and hold in more heat than a light coloured vinyl or cement board.
Old 2017-02-24, 09:33 AM
Regular User

I have the air circulating, so when it's very warm in the room, the air from the register is a little cooler. I've left it open to move the air around the house as much as possible.

The bedroom door is normally closed. There is light coloured siding on the outside.
Old 2017-02-24, 01:27 PM
Regular User

Id try partially closing the damper off in the register(s) of the hot room and checking they are fully open in the cooler rooms.

You can try turning up the heat about 4 degrees - this will kick the furnace into "high fire" and seeing how warm the air feels in the various vents or better yet check with an IR temperature gun (you can pick em up for $20 or so) the device to measure airflow is much more expensive bout you'll be able to get a good idea if one is much stronger than another by feel. You can always contact the builder as well if you're in a new home thats still under warranty - or even try the HVAC contractor directly - there's usually a service number on the furnace.

Unless all the other rooms are experiencing heat loss due to insulation issues it sounds like an HVAC issue.

In this case that room would probably be colder come AC season.
Old 2017-02-24, 01:29 PM
Regular User

is the air return on the floor or up high on the wall?

in my house, the bedrooms facing afternoon sun have the return high on the wall and the bedrooms that would not receive that solar load have the air return on the floor/low on the wall. it seems to work well.

check the actual airflow you're getting from your vents. it may be too low. try removing your furnace filter and see if there's a big improvement.

also check to make sure you're getting a draw from the air return. I have one that I don't think is actually connected.
Old 2017-02-27, 10:04 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
is the air return on the floor or up high on the wall?

in my house, the bedrooms facing afternoon sun have the return high on the wall and the bedrooms that would not receive that solar load have the air return on the floor/low on the wall. it seems to work well.

check the actual airflow you're getting from your vents. it may be too low. try removing your furnace filter and see if there's a big improvement.

also check to make sure you're getting a draw from the air return. I have one that I don't think is actually connected.
The air return is high on the wall, and we've tested to see if there's air flow (the old tissue test) and there is. At the builder's recommendation, I'm using the 'cheaper' filters that allow more air flow. The fan on the furnace runs continuously.

With the thermostat set at 19 that room reaches 26 when it's sunny. When it's not sunny, it's about the same as the rest of the house.
Old 2017-02-28, 01:27 PM
Regular User

Maybe "balancing" your HVAC ducts can help. Sometimes homes have excessive air flow to one area of the home or not enough air flow. Balancing can often better distribute the airflow in a home making things more comfortable.
Old 2018-02-10, 06:06 PM
Regular User

I'm continuing with this saga. The builder has had the HVAC guy in, and they say that the readings at that register are what they are supposed to be. They've shortened the door a bit to try and help with air circulation.

We've closed the damper completely on the register and even with the door open, that room is 3 degree Celsius warmer than the main floor in winter.

Suggestions?