Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2018-02-13, 10:19 AM
Regular User

Default Home Inspection Recommendations

Hello!

We just had our pre-frame walk through and noticed that where a nook missing in the living room. They instead were planning to make the area flush with the fireplace.

I had emailed the builder to create this nook citing an identical model as mine along with pictures as proof.

They had created it but now the depth is total different between the two home. Ours is 9 inches whereas the other home is 16 inches. Normally I would not care but as the cable/satellite boxes are placed here, we are now left in a situation where the boxes stick out a good 2 inches past the wall.

I have replied to the builder and the have advised that its due to limitations of our home and asked if we want to go back to no nook or leave it as is and if we wanted, schedule a walk through.

I would like everyone's opinion on how I should proceed with this. Should I bring along an inspector or do I have any recourse? That leaves me with the impression that there may be other issues with the home which I may be unaware of.

Thank you!
Old 2018-04-01, 03:48 PM
Regular User

Evaluating the depth of a nook is not something that a new home warranty inspector can or should comment on. That is between you and the builder.

New home warranty inspections evaluate issues like the roof, roof flashings, exterior issues and flashings, vents, vent clearances, missing vents, HRV's, furnaces, water heaters, electrical, sumps, attics, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2018-05-29 at 06:51 AM.
Old 2018-04-01, 04:34 PM
Regular User

What HHI said.
Old 2018-04-01, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Did your original request specify the dimensions of the nook area? Or was it just left up to interpretation?
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/