Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-01-18, 08:35 AM

Question Downpayment for custom home

Hi Folks,

I just stumbled across this site this morning and am impressed by the amount of great information here!

I'm currently in a Minto Fifth Avenue townhouse in Avalon and my husband and I are thinking about building a custom home here in Avalon. Our mortgage is up for renewal in August 2010 and I've read that the builder would require 20-25% down to start building.

We don't have 20-25% for a down payment now since all of our money is tied up in our current home, and since 20-25% of the home we'd be looking at would be around 100K, it would take us forever to save that up!

Has anyone else dealt with this type of scenario? How do banks look at this type of scenario? Sorry if this is a silly question , I really have no idea.

Thanks for any information
Old 2009-01-18, 09:55 AM
Regular User

Do you have significant equity in your current home? If so, one option would be to obtain a home equity/secured line of credit against your current home that you could use as a downpayment. You would get a better interest rate than a regular loan and can make interest only payments if you wish.

Mortgage Guy might have other suggestions or be able to provide more insight.
Old 2009-01-18, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the reply - we've got almost 100K of equity in our home currently.
Old 2009-01-19, 11:47 AM
Regular User

Default Custom Build?

When you say custom build, do you just mean build brand new with a builder? If so, I've never heard of 20-25%, more like 20 to 30K.

We just bought brand new and it was $25K with Mattamy.
Old 2009-01-19, 12:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully View Post
Hi Folks,

I just stumbled across this site this morning and am impressed by the amount of great information here!

I'm currently in a Minto Fifth Avenue townhouse in Avalon and my husband and I are thinking about building a custom home here in Avalon. Our mortgage is up for renewal in August 2010 and I've read that the builder would require 20-25% down to start building.

We don't have 20-25% for a down payment now since all of our money is tied up in our current home, and since 20-25% of the home we'd be looking at would be around 100K, it would take us forever to save that up!

Has anyone else dealt with this type of scenario? How do banks look at this type of scenario? Sorry if this is a silly question , I really have no idea.

If you are going with a true "custom" builder then you most likely will need 20 to 25% down so they can afford to buy materials and pay the trades. Small builders just can't afford the overhead costs like the big guys.

The best bet is to talk to your builder and find out exactly what he needs to get going and then go to your bank with this information and they will let you know how to or if you can do it.

Will Minto sell you a lot in Avalon for a custom builder to build a home? I didn't think they would do that.
Old 2009-01-19, 01:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Orleans View Post
Will Minto sell you a lot in Avalon for a custom builder to build a home? I didn't think they would do that.
Although not the intent of the original post, I'm curious about that one, too. Seems unusual to say the least.
Old 2009-01-19, 04:47 PM

Sorry folks, I meant building a home w/ Minto, not a custom builder (sorry)

20 to 30K seems much more reasonable - thanks for all of the replies
Old 2009-01-22, 03:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Orleans View Post
If you are going with a true "custom" builder then you most likely will need 20 to 25% down so they can afford to buy materials and pay the trades. Small builders just can't afford the overhead costs like the big guys.
If anybody ever asks you for that kind of money upfront, run away (or they will run away with your money). I am building a custom home with a very small builder, I paid a deposit of 6%.
Old 2009-01-29, 07:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully View Post
Hi Folks,

for the love of all things sacred..Minto can barely scrape by building cookie cutter houses are you seriously thinking of having them build a custom crooked house?