Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2013-06-13, 02:12 PM
Regular User

Default Area reputation

Had someone mention the other day..."I hope you don't live in Alton". Referencing problems with garbage windows and homes already showing wear and tear in their very early years. Seems like more and more multiple family homes also. Is it going to continue to be desirable in 5 years? Or will it be another junky suburb neighborhood.
Old 2013-06-13, 06:42 PM
Regular User

They said our area had 'junkie windows' and you didn't punch them in the face?!
Old 2013-06-14, 08:14 AM
Regular User

Probably just somebody upset that their property value hasn't doubled in the last 5 years.
Old 2013-06-14, 10:50 AM
Regular User

LOL, people will always find a reason to complain.

I have yet to find a neighbourhood where houses don't age.
Old 2013-06-14, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Come on down to south of the QEW where I am.. where the trend is to buy up a bunch of lots (average size is 150x50) and replace them with lots of townhouses.

I just had 71 built in my backyard. 22 more a block from there. There is another 14 going up a block the other way.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2013-06-14, 06:49 PM
Regular User

Haha. I love this comment.

To answer your question: yes. The neighbourhood will continue to be desirable. In fact, likely MORE desirable in 5 years time (by then, the development should have all been completed).

The multiple-family dwellings are an unfortunate thing, though I haven't seen many myself.
Old 2013-06-16, 10:28 AM
Regular User

I do not believe that poor windows would render a neighbourhood undesirable they will ultimately have to be changed anyways as seals break. There is issues with windows and a particular business. If I had any concern it would be the lack of upkeep by 1 in 5 homes, or unsightly/unprofessional driveway widening or the ridiculous amount of on street parking ( I believe that will change shortly).

As the neighbourhood matures so does the resident stability, many purchase to earn quick cash and flip but once the clusters become residents in it for the long haul it will improve.

As for multi family dwellings I would not say multi family I would say large families that include papau, granny, husband wife, litter of kids, in laws and maybe the hobo brother or sister, rentals are few and far between.
Old 2013-06-17, 12:02 AM
Regular User

I guess there's some homes that look 'junky' but I'm finding most people care about and take care of their properties.

There's been a lot of turn-over on our street (as you know but that was a result of multiple home flips from the same original owner. I see lots of people putting in gardens and walkways and plantings and generally beautifying their spaces, and lots with plans to do so in the next few years (us included).

I think if anything, walking in the streets/phases that have been there a bit longer really gives an indication of how beautiful and well-kept the area is.
Old 2013-06-17, 03:37 PM
Regular User

I agree with the latter comments about the windows. I have never, in fact, told someone who lives in Burlington that I live in Alton Village and heard them ask about my windows.

General upkeep from unit to unit certainly varies. I would not say it is one in five houses, maybe one in ten. But it also varies from street t street. Some of the worst houses are those that are rented. There is one house on our street that never cared for their yard. The renters put no effort into watering the new sod when it came in. The grass died and the weeds survived. Fortunately no one can use weed killer so the dandelions have survived.

Gina is right about second owners taking more pride and doing more work than flippers.
Old 2013-06-24, 01:09 PM
Regular User

Like I said in a previous post. We should be within the borders of Brampton. Alton fits right in there, but not Burlington.