Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-10-22, 12:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
Bank appraised my last home for more than MPAC did and more than I eventually sold it for. Granted I might have gotten more if I was more patient, but still...
More than MPAC can make sense because MPAC assessments are as of a certain year. So right now I believe all MPAC assessments are as of 2016 and that 2016 assessment is what will be used until 2020. By 2020 it is very likely that most homes will be worth quite a bit more than the 2016 MPAC assessment.

As far as the bank assessment being higher than what your home sold for, maybe my banks have always been cautious but they have always been lower (sometimes not by much though) than what the homes have been worth. The banks tend not to like risk and having a homeowner with a mortgage higher than the home is worth is very risky.
Old 2018-10-24, 07:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
More than MPAC can make sense because MPAC assessments are as of a certain year. So right now I believe all MPAC assessments are as of 2016 and that 2016 assessment is what will be used until 2020. By 2020 it is very likely that most homes will be worth quite a bit more than the 2016 MPAC assessment.

As far as the bank assessment being higher than what your home sold for, maybe my banks have always been cautious but they have always been lower (sometimes not by much though) than what the homes have been worth. The banks tend not to like risk and having a homeowner with a mortgage higher than the home is worth is very risky.
Same for me, bank assessments have always been more conservative.

When people challenge the MPAC assesment do they normally get it lowered? I find my taxes crazy in Clarence-Rockland. Approx $4,200 a year and I paid 332k meanwhile a home in Orleans that sold for 370,000$ (during bidding war, 20 k above asking) had taxes of $3,200. I think they might all be due for a re-assessment of their taxes lol

Last edited by eastendguy; 2018-10-24 at 07:26 AM.
Old 2018-10-24, 07:41 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendguy View Post
Same for me, bank assessments have always been more conservative.

When people challenge the MPAC assesment do they normally get it lowered? I find my taxes crazy in Clarence-Rockland. Approx $4,200 a year and I paid 332k meanwhile a home in Orleans that sold for 370,000$ (during bidding war, 20 k above asking) had taxes of $3,200. I think they might all be due for a re-assessment of their taxes lol
You can ask them to provide some of the comparables they used to determine the value of your home. From there you can decide if it is worth your time to appeal (they don't use that term, but you get the point). Can't hurt to try as you would be surprised at some of the errors you might find. When I bought my house I started the appeal process.....and in fact before even having to go through the formal process I got on the phone with an MPAC rep who noticed a measurement error in my house. In my case they were counting a 14 ft high room as "two stories", hence doubling the sq footage for that room, where their policy dictates that only 16 ft high rooms qualify for the doubling (i.e., "counting the air"). This resulted in a near 300 sq ft deduction to the size of my house on their books, and as a result my property taxes came down about $300 per year. The refund was effective retroactively for not only the previous homeowner, but everyone else with my model of home in the area. Good chunk of change! I'm still waiting for bottles of wine, gift cards etc from the benefactors.....
Old 2018-10-24, 07:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
You can ask them to provide some of the comparables they used to determine the value of your home. From there you can decide if it is worth your time to appeal (they don't use that term, but you get the point). Can't hurt to try as you would be surprised at some of the errors you might find. When I bought my house I started the appeal process.....and in fact before even having to go through the formal process I got on the phone with an MPAC rep who noticed a measurement error in my house. In my case they were counting a 14 ft high room as "two stories", hence doubling the sq footage for that room, where their policy dictates that only 16 ft high rooms qualify for the doubling (i.e., "counting the air"). This resulted in a near 300 sq ft deduction to the size of my house on their books, and as a result my property taxes came down about $300 per year. The refund was effective retroactively for not only the previous homeowner, but everyone else with my model of home in the area. Good chunk of change! I'm still waiting for bottles of wine, gift cards etc from the benefactors.....
Thanks very much for the info! $300 is $300

Hoping they will at least pay it forward on your behalf! hahaha
Old 2018-10-24, 10:11 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendguy View Post
I find my taxes crazy in Clarence-Rockland. Approx $4,200 a year and I paid 332k meanwhile a home in Orleans that sold for 370,000$ (during bidding war, 20 k above asking) had taxes of $3,200. I think they might all be due for a re-assessment of their taxes lol
You can't really compare taxes between different towns. With the average home price in Clarence-Rockland being lower than in Orleans your numbers don't surprise me.
Old 2018-10-24, 10:20 AM
Regular User

doesnt everyone in Ottawa pay the same municipal rate? Sounds like the house in orleans was simply undervalued by MPAC.
Old 2018-10-24, 11:01 AM
Regular User

Angry

Quote:
Are you sure of the retroactive refund? I spoke to MPAC in the past and they made it clear that they would not refund retroactively. This is due to the fact that they send their assessments annually (or bi-annually) with an opportunity to homeowners to contest them within a set period. Consequently, appeals will only apply moving forward.

If it's true, my parents are owed thousands of dollars in taxes as they 'assessed' our house to be valued at $600k (for at least 3 years) when comparable houses in the neighborhood have sold for $500 - $520k.

Given your story, I Feel like the rep misinformed me
Old 2018-10-24, 12:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg View Post
doesnt everyone in Ottawa pay the same municipal rate? Sounds like the house in orleans was simply undervalued by MPAC.
No, everyone in Ottawa would not pay exactly the same rate. Things like what transit zone you are in can mean taxes vary from one part of town to the other. But they shouldn't vary too much.

That said, I don't think Clarence-Rockland is actually part of the city of Ottawa. So they would have their own tax rate based on their city budget and the property values within their respective area. And if the average property value in Clarence-Rockland is lower than the average in Ottawa, which it probably is (but I really don't know for sure) then it makes sense that the tax rate would be higher.
Old 2018-10-24, 01:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by creat View Post
Are you sure of the retroactive refund? I spoke to MPAC in the past and they made it clear that they would not refund retroactively. This is due to the fact that they send their assessments annually (or bi-annually) with an opportunity to homeowners to contest them within a set period. Consequently, appeals will only apply moving forward.

If it's true, my parents are owed thousands of dollars in taxes as they 'assessed' our house to be valued at $600k (for at least 3 years) when comparable houses in the neighborhood have sold for $500 - $520k.

Given your story, I Feel like the rep misinformed me
I believe my case is different than the typical re-assessment. There is some degree of subjectivity in the whole process, so I understand why they generally wouldn't go retro (homeowner needs to speak up). In my case it turned out that it was clearly a measurement error on the part of MPAC, so they would have to own the mistake. That said, I would imagine people might have had to push for the retro portion.....not sure if anyone did or not.....if it were me I definitely would have made them pay up.
Old 2018-10-24, 02:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
I believe my case is different than the typical re-assessment. There is some degree of subjectivity in the whole process, so I understand why they generally wouldn't go retro (homeowner needs to speak up). In my case it turned out that it was clearly a measurement error on the part of MPAC, so they would have to own the mistake. That said, I would imagine people might have had to push for the retro portion.....not sure if anyone did or not.....if it were me I definitely would have made them pay up.
I wonder if the opposite would be true. If they found out they undersized the place would you have to pay back taxes? Maybe not because they are the experts and are expected to know what they are doing.

I know in our area the home we bought is a bungalow. And you can buy it with or without a loft which has two extra bedrooms. I know of a few other people who have the loft but their MPAC assessment has them without the loft (and missing two bedrooms). Probably saving them almost $1000 per year in taxes. MPAC never came to do an assessment on our home when we moved in. They simply called me and asked which model I bought. I imagine the ones where MPAC has the loft missing probably didn't mention the loft when MPAC talked to them. I wonder in that case if MPAC ever came to do an assessment would they end up having to pay back taxes (which could amount to a lot).