Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-03-30, 08:29 AM
Regular User

Smile Water Heater and Furnace Rental Class Action

So interesting read in CBC this morning:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...erge-1.4042330

If you have not signed a contract for the water heater (or furnace) just have your own installed and let the rental company know you will not be needing the item. If you are concerned about anything you've signed with the builder, this is not a contract and therefore does not tie you legally to any other contract or company.

Here is the Consumer Protection Act in Ontario:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/your-rig...lling-contract

"All terms of the agreement

A contract must clearly show the terms of your agreement with the business."

Sched Z (or what ever your builder calls it) does not have ANY terms or conditions on it. This form clears the builder from the cost of the tank and it meant to convince you to sign with the rental company.

One last note, sign NOTHING with the rental company. Even if they agree to pick up the tank do not sign any forms.

If this helps at least one person out I am happy.

(This post was not meant to spark the "rent vs own" debate. If you are happy renting I respect that. If you are confused about why homes in Ontario have various rented appliances within and don't feel like renting is your thing feel free to PM me and I can give you more details.)
Old 2017-03-30, 11:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe View Post
So interesting read in CBC this morning:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...erge-1.4042330

If you have not signed a contract for the water heater (or furnace) just have your own installed and let the rental company know you will not be needing the item. If you are concerned about anything you've signed with the builder, this is not a contract and therefore does not tie you legally to any other contract or company.

Here is the Consumer Protection Act in Ontario:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/your-rig...lling-contract

"All terms of the agreement

A contract must clearly show the terms of your agreement with the business."

Sched Z (or what ever your builder calls it) does not have ANY terms or conditions on it. This form clears the builder from the cost of the tank and it meant to convince you to sign with the rental company.

One last note, sign NOTHING with the rental company. Even if they agree to pick up the tank do not sign any forms.

If this helps at least one person out I am happy.

(This post was not meant to spark the "rent vs own" debate. If you are happy renting I respect that. If you are confused about why homes in Ontario have various rented appliances within and don't feel like renting is your thing feel free to PM me and I can give you more details.)

Thank you for posting it. I have been looking around for information & have been following the other post of rental/own water heater. I might PM you if I have any details. Thanks again & have a nice day
Old 2017-04-02, 10:41 AM
Regular User

Good stuff! Great to see people are finally coming to their senses and pushing back on this. Shame on the rental companies - and more so, shame on the shady builders for leading people to believe they are stuck with something that they are not.
Old 2017-04-04, 12:19 AM

This is just the info I was looking for. I had an argument with the salesperson recently when signing for our new home because I didn't want to get stuck with a rental water heater contract. They said the APS wasn't complete unless I signed the schedule, so I did.

How would one prevent them from installing the tank before getting possession of the house?
Old 2017-04-04, 11:56 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by immysiddy View Post
This is just the info I was looking for. I had an argument with the salesperson recently when signing for our new home because I didn't want to get stuck with a rental water heater contract. They said the APS wasn't complete unless I signed the schedule, so I did.

How would one prevent them from installing the tank before getting possession of the house?
The tank will be installed because it's part of building code or occupancy permit. Builders typically do not allow outside contractors to work on the house. Sign nothing with rental company and once you move in start making calls.
Old 2017-04-04, 05:50 PM

Have a look at Mattamy's latest Schedule 'Z'. Do you think they've worded it such that a new home buyer could follow OP's advice to not be bound by a legal contract with the 3rd party company?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	201704041438061000.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	13843  
Old 2017-04-04, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by immysiddy View Post
Have a look at Mattamy's latest Schedule 'Z'. Do you think they've worded it such that a new home buyer could follow OP's advice to not be bound by a legal contract with the 3rd party company?
That's a legal question for a lawyer to discuss with you in your particular situation. No one here would be able to provide any sort of definitive answer on such a legal matter.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2017-04-07, 05:05 PM
Regular User

great information, thanks for sharing. Will try not to sign and see how it goes.

Last edited by alsh; 2017-04-07 at 05:08 PM.
Old 2017-04-07, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
That's a legal question for a lawyer to discuss with you in your particular situation. No one here would be able to provide any sort of definitive answer on such a legal matter.
I'm not looking for legal advice. I was hoping to get other members' thoughts on the wording of the Schedule (isn't discussion the point of this forum?). The form is not particular to my situation as pretty much all builders require the signing of a similar form.

And btw, I asked two real estate lawyers about it and they both referred me back to the builder.
Old 2017-04-07, 09:05 PM
Regular User

I can share my thought - if I'd signed something like this I would feel that I'd agreed to it. 'The purchaser agrees to sign a Service Agreement when requested.....'