Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Aurora

Aurora Minto, Kylemore, Aspen Ridge and Townwood

Old 2008-03-03, 01:16 PM
Regular User

Default Starlane in Aurora

We are getting ready to sign on the dotted line with Starlane homes in Aurora (Wellington & Bayview). We are buying the Kingsbury 10 plan on 50 foot lot across from lots backing on to the wooded area. I was wondering anyone can comment on following items:

1) Starlane as builder: How was your experience with them? How was the quality of work that was done for you? Were you able to negotiate upgrades/amount of upgrades or any changes to plan at time of the offer?

2) Do you know what what will be built at Wellington and Mavernaic? My understanding is that Megna owns that land and will be building office place (no retails) I am wondering if that is correct and also how tall will the structure be at that location.

3) Just east of Wellington and Mavernaic is the wooded lot. I am wondering what if there are any plans of homes/business between that wooded lot and the community center on Wellington?

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards,
Jack
Old 2008-03-03, 09:43 PM
Regular User

You can check website of town of aurora to see future development. http://www.town.aurora.on.ca/aurora/...?ArticleID=851

Starlane releases ravine lot finally. Would you mind telling me how much is the premium for those lots?
Old 2008-03-04, 09:08 AM
Regular User

Default No ravine yet

Thank you BCCL for your response. I was hoping you would respond as reading some threads from Markham forum I noted that you bought Kingsbury 8 in Aurora from Starlane. We currently live in a Starlane home in Markham but didn't buy from Starlane, we bought from an investor flipping.

Thank you so much for the link to planning WEB site. I was on the town's site yesterday but didn't get chance to to reach that page (yet). Very informative but was unable to get details on the areas just out side the sub-division where we are thinking of buying. I will ping the town and see what I get.

As for ravine lots, sorry for not communicating properly, are not open yet. We are thinking of buying a lot across from the lots which are ravine/wooded. Sales rep at Starlane told us that they just opened 3 lots on Eakins Lane, on the east side, almost close to Tonner Cres on the side where wooded lots are. Way back in summer of 2007, when we had visited Starlane, both myself and my wife had picked that street as our choice but the lots were not available. Since they just became available, we were thinking of buying.

My concern was that the ravine/wooded area is not very wide and I heard from other builder (sales) that there will be semi-detached homes on the other side of the wooded lot and wanted to know if someone else has confirmed that from town.

I was hoping you can provide some details on your experience with the Sales rep at Starlane. Was there any room for negotiation on the amount of upgrades or changes to plan up front with the offer?

Did you had your lawyer review the offer before submitting or not?

Thanks,
Jack.
Old 2008-03-04, 01:25 PM

Default Tonner

Hi

we buy from Starlane on Tonner Cres. and closing is in Feb 2009.

They didn't give us anything more, just standard $5000 upgrade.
Old 2008-03-06, 08:57 AM
Regular User

Default Closing Date

Hi,

I am wondering if you had a choice of early closing date (say, Nov 2008)? We are being offered a closing date of Nov 2008. I am wondering if that date is unrealistic and only to make the sale and eventually delaying it by 3 months or so? The only reason I ask this is that we are going to be one street over from your and all homes on your street have been sold where as none of the homes on our street have been sold. So, how can the build ours faster then yours?

Also how others are dealing with sale of their current homes? How long before the closing date are you putting your house on the market? Do you have any protection against the delay in closing date? Say, I sell my house with closing date of Nov 30, 2008 some time in June and my new house which was suppose to close on Nov 30 gets delayed by 30 days? What are my options at that point other then finding a rental/relative for the mean time.

Thanks,
Jack

P.s. Please pardon my questions if you find them silly. I am very nervous about this whole thing specifically transitioning from current to my current home.
Old 2008-03-06, 12:35 PM
Regular User

Hi,

My lot is on Tonner Cres and closing date is Nov 08.
I finalized all my upgrade and I was told by staff from Decor centre that my house should be ready on time.

I read other messages in this forum and noted that people say if the builder started digging the lot 6 months before closing date, then it should be okay to get the house ready on time (of course depends on weather condition).

I am planning to sell my condo in July but before I do that, I will go to the site and make sure my house is being built (at least all exterior works are done).
Old 2008-03-06, 04:35 PM

Thumbs up Tonner Cres.

Hi (future) Neighbor

First we had our closing in Nov 2008 but we change that to Feb 2009 because our boy starting Jr. Kindergarten in Sept. and we don't want him to change after just two month - instead we will move after "March break" next year.
Nov 2008 is not unrealistic - they need only 3-4 month to finish house from foundation to roof.

I don't know how you have information that all houses are sold on Tonner - we are actually "above" you, where Borealis finish and you have circle, on that part of Tonner Cress Starlane have 7 40' lots - we buy Princeton 5. Just 2 lots are sold for now.

On our lot is now Greenpark construction office ;(

We will put our house on sale when they finish all brick work on new house, that is good rule of thumb that closing will be on time.

On protection for closing delay - my wife is full-time real estate agent and she has solutions for that

If you want her to sell yours "old" house she will take care about dalay (closing insurance, etc.).

You can actually call her and if you decide to work with her she can show you our agreement with Starlane and letter from our lawyer about agreement (we give to him to read one copy) and tell you what to do BEFORE you sign.

Send me PM if you want to talk to her.

BTW we plan closing for "old" house two weeks after we get keys for "new" house, for this two weeks we will install dryer, washer, stove, a/c etc. and give us less stress with moving.
and this is not expensive, on every $1000 in mortgage approx. $2 in interest
and every bank will give you this "bridge" mortgage.

I will post for you upgrade prices from Starlane what we ask for.

Regards

P.S.
The Tarion Warranty Corporation, the regulator of the new home building industry, has announced that it is introducing new regulations regarding delayed closing and delayed occupancy warranties for new homes and condominiums. The new regulations will come into force on July 1, 2008
Old 2008-03-07, 09:13 AM
Regular User

Default Thank You

Thank you both for providing much needed help.

I will look further into smooth transition from current to new place and will consult with our real estate agent and the lawyer.

Thank you for pointing me to new Tarion regulations and I'll look forward to upgrade prices if can post them.

Thanks and hope to have you guys has neighbors. Also good to know that there will be some small children in the immediate area. We have 4 1/2 year old and 1 1/2 year old ourselves.

~Jack
Old 2008-03-10, 08:27 AM
Regular User

Default Ravine on Tonner Cres

Just a quick update:

We were visiting the Starlane Homes sales office yesterday and decided to stop off at the Great Gulf Homes sales office and found that they have released their ravine/wooded lots. Preimum you ask? It ranges from 40 to 55k depending on the lot you get.
Old 2008-04-12, 02:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kockica View Post
Hi (future) Neighbor

First we had our closing in Nov 2008 but we change that to Feb 2009 because our boy starting Jr. Kindergarten in Sept. and we don't want him to change after just two month - instead we will move after "March break" next year.
Nov 2008 is not unrealistic - they need only 3-4 month to finish house from foundation to roof.

I don't know how you have information that all houses are sold on Tonner - we are actually "above" you, where Borealis finish and you have circle, on that part of Tonner Cress Starlane have 7 40' lots - we buy Princeton 5. Just 2 lots are sold for now.

On our lot is now Greenpark construction office ;(

We will put our house on sale when they finish all brick work on new house, that is good rule of thumb that closing will be on time.

On protection for closing delay - my wife is full-time real estate agent and she has solutions for that

If you want her to sell yours "old" house she will take care about dalay (closing insurance, etc.).

You can actually call her and if you decide to work with her she can show you our agreement with Starlane and letter from our lawyer about agreement (we give to him to read one copy) and tell you what to do BEFORE you sign.

Send me PM if you want to talk to her.

BTW we plan closing for "old" house two weeks after we get keys for "new" house, for this two weeks we will install dryer, washer, stove, a/c etc. and give us less stress with moving.
and this is not expensive, on every $1000 in mortgage approx. $2 in interest
and every bank will give you this "bridge" mortgage.

I will post for you upgrade prices from Starlane what we ask for.

Regards

P.S.
The Tarion Warranty Corporation, the regulator of the new home building industry, has announced that it is introducing new regulations regarding delayed closing and delayed occupancy warranties for new homes and condominiums. The new regulations will come into force on July 1, 2008
Hello,

Could you provide more information on how the "bridge" mortgage works. Let's say I am scheduled to close my new home in July but for some reason my current house is not closing until August, please elaborate on how the bridging will work in this scenario.