Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane

Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane For residents and soon-to-be residents of Stouffvilles Main Street and River Ridge, Great Gulf Homes, Fieldgate, Greenpark and more!

Old 2010-07-25, 09:20 AM
Regular User

Default 1st layer of driveway

I am wondering if parking cars on the driveway when it is only the first layer will cause premature dents / cave in's in the first few months?
Old 2010-07-25, 02:25 PM
Regular User

I have seen one driveways cave in in my old area. I think it caved in because the land was still settling.
Old 2010-07-25, 10:19 PM
Regular User

Parking cars for long period of time will leave dents in first and second layers. Happened in my Markham home. Should move car every three days at the min.
Old 2010-07-27, 07:50 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_Greenpark_57 View Post
Parking cars for long period of time will leave dents in first and second layers. Happened in my Markham home. Should move car every three days at the min.
Why not just park the car in the garage, it won't leave dents if it's not parked on the driveway
2007...MOVED IN!
Old 2010-07-27, 09:01 AM
Regular User

Yes parking on the first layer will leave indents and eventually so will parking on the final layer. but if you plan to park in the same spot on the driveway all the time then do it now with the first layer then it will pack down and when they do the second layer on to the indents should not appear as soon or as bad. I am leaving good indents in mine with my full size truck. you can even see ruts down the driveway where I drive. That is sort of the point as I understand it anyways of doing first layer then coming back much later to do the second layer.

You could always rip out the asphalt and interlock it then every 10 years or so you juts lift up the sunken areas add some screening under it and relay the stones.
Old 2010-07-27, 09:11 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkie View Post
Yes parking on the first layer will leave indents and eventually so will parking on the final layer. but if you plan to park in the same spot on the driveway all the time then do it now with the first layer then it will pack down and when they do the second layer on to the indents should not appear as soon or as bad. I am leaving good indents in mine with my full size truck. you can even see ruts down the driveway where I drive. That is sort of the point as I understand it anyways of doing first layer then coming back much later to do the second layer.

You could always rip out the asphalt and interlock it then every 10 years or so you juts lift up the sunken areas add some screening under it and relay the stones.

Sorry to hijack thread but Wilkie we have been thinking about interlocking our driveway. Is this better than asphalt? My builder is charging us $1650 for 2 layers and we were thinking to not pay this at closing and just do the interlocking. You have any idea a ballpack amount to do a 2 car driveway that can park 4 cars?
Old 2011-07-12, 10:28 AM
Regular User

A 2-car driveway (that can park 4 cars) is usually (varies of course) approx. 600-800 sf. Applying Interlock Stones to this area will cost approximately $4,950 -$6,600 (respectively). Cheers to Summer!!
Old 2011-07-15, 09:56 AM
Regular User

when do we get the 2nd layer?
i thought they told me in 2yrs
Old 2011-07-15, 01:07 PM
Regular User

I was told by a builder rep that the second coat was going to be 2 years after the first one too but another builder rep recently told me that we might get it in the fall, so not sure, I guess we'll see.
Old 2011-07-18, 07:56 AM
Regular User

they might do the 2nd layer of asphalt after a year, usually the start of summer.