Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Waterloo Region

Waterloo Region Kitchener, Cambridge, and Waterloo, and the townships of Wellesley, Woolwich, Wilmot, and North Dumfries.

Old 2011-03-18, 01:53 PM

Question 2nd year Tarion form

Hello friends,

I have to fill my second year tarion warranty form, can anyone suggest what all aspect to look into i had seen the form its confusing.

Last month on weekend my THERMOSTAT was non-functional due to which i dont had heat in house , I had to call to heating company those who install my furnance ..they said my THERMOSTAT is Bad, Which they replace and charged me double the price "as they said my Furnance is install before I move in prior to 6month when builder was building the house and their 2 year warranty expire in last Dec. Dont know will builder pay me for that or not?

Is my warranty start from day which i move in or from the day when my furnance is install.

I still feel un even heat distribution throughout House (getting colder in Master bed room & Living)

your prompt advice on this concern in highly appriciated. Have nice weekend

Regards,
Sandy

Last edited by sandxox; 2011-03-18 at 02:00 PM.
Old 2016-01-31, 08:28 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandxox View Post
Hello friends,

I have to fill my second year tarion warranty form, can anyone suggest what all aspect to look into i had seen the form its confusing.

Last month on weekend my THERMOSTAT was non-functional due to which i dont had heat in house , I had to call to heating company those who install my furnance ..they said my THERMOSTAT is Bad, Which they replace and charged me double the price "as they said my Furnance is install before I move in prior to 6month when builder was building the house and their 2 year warranty expire in last Dec. Dont know will builder pay me for that or not?

Is my warranty start from day which i move in or from the day when my furnance is install.

I still feel un even heat distribution throughout House (getting colder in Master bed room & Living)

Sandy
It's too late to help Sandy because she posted her question a few years ago but with all the new home activity in the Kitchener area I thought I would shed some light on Sandy's post. Sadly she was taken advantage of by the HVAC company that replaced her thermostat.

1 - While the 30 day and one year forms must be submitted within certain time frames, second year forms can be submitted anytime during the second year and while Tarion will only accept one 30 day or One Year form you can submit as many second year forms as needed to get things done. Sandy did not need to wait until her second year came to an end to submit her list as she could have submitted her one anytime during that second year.

2 - The HVAC company should NOT have charged Sandy one penny to replace her defective thermostat because it is covered for 2 years from HER date of possession and NOT the date when the furnace was installed. Sandy should not have called the HVAC company who installed the system, she should have called the builder who is responsible to her and who would then be responsible arrange for the service needed to repair the system.

3 - Because the HVAC system "feels un even heat distribution throughout the house" then it's likely that the system needed to be balanced and that was covered for 2 years, but the master bedroom could also be cool because of attic insulation issues that are only covered for one year.

When it comes to HVAC, ( Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning ) new home buyers need to know their rights and often need to assert themselves to get the warranty service they are entitled to. WATCH NEW HOME BUYERS - you will likely be told that your furnace warranty is voided if someone other than the builder installs your AC. This is NOT true. This myth that you automatically lose your furnace warranty should some other licensed HVAC company install your AC has been perpetuated by many builders for years. Tarion will confirm this warranty coverage.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2016-02-05 at 07:39 AM.
Old 2016-02-09, 09:41 AM
Regular User

Good tips.

What I did with my last new home was ANY issue I had was reported to the builder warranty office first. A few times I got lucky and they decided to come out and fix it as a good will gesture. For example, after my third winter a frost free hose bib cracked and started sending water into the house. The builder fixed it, even though it was clearly out of the domain of the Tarion warranty.

Eventually they started telling me "hire a contractor", but I always made sure that if there was any chance the builder would take responsibility, I let them take it!