Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?

Old 2009-01-11, 10:24 PM
Regular User

I talked to a salesperson at Sears this weekend and she siad that the vast majority of people who go for the counter-depth fridge opt to have a second fridge in their basement. I think this may be a better option for us since, unfortunately, we don't have a ton of room in the kitchen.
Old 2009-01-11, 10:56 PM
Regular User

I guess your lucky because our conterdepth fridge is only 20 cubic ft. I would love to have a 22 cubic ft in my kitchen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine&Chris View Post
Ridiculous. Sounds like she was trying to sell a second fridge. We are going from an 18 cubic foot fridge that was never full to a 23 cubic foot counter depth one. I don't think we'll be needing a second fridge... lol
Old 2009-12-16, 01:06 PM
Regular User

I wanted to bring this topic back up. What are people's thoughts on counter depth fridges? We are getting our pantry set forward, and adding a gable (so, 26" deep). I dont want the fridge sticking out so we will be doing counter depth. Any advice on what style to go for?

Old 2009-12-16, 04:05 PM
Regular User

We did the same thing where we extended the cabinets above the fridge and had to also get the gable. We wanted and got a counter depth fridge and I really couldn't imagine not having one, bc a regular depth one would stick out way too much and look ridiculous. Our fridge is located between a gable and a wall that stands btwn kitchen and hall/dining room. It would have looked ridiculous to be sitting in the dining room and see the fridge stick out past the wall. I admit the fridge doesn't seem to be huge on the inside but we were using an 18cu foot fridge at our old house so its fine for two adults.
Old 2009-12-16, 05:39 PM
Regular User

I'll let you know on friday. we got the samsung RFG237AARS or something like that. have a 24" depth on the cutout for it. pantry on one side, deep uppers and gables around it.

Old 2009-12-16, 06:00 PM
Regular User

definitely go for a counter depth... you can see the difference it makes.
as for size, you don't need to sacrifice it if you get a wider one. I have a 48" counterdepth that has 32.5 cubicfeet of space.
Old 2009-12-16, 06:19 PM
Regular User

What we did was pay an upgrade for a fridge build-out so that it the cabinets around the fridge extend beyond the counter. We had a counter depth fridge in our old house and found that the capacity of the regular fridge was far better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 002.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	5274   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 005.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	5275  
Old 2009-12-16, 06:44 PM
Regular User

Smile Counter Depth Side by Side

I too would like a counter-depth but don't like the price tag that comes with it.
There's a side by side one by Frigidaire that is counter depth and 23 cubic feet for about the price of a standard depth french door fridge.

I'm tempted to go with this one for the price but hear the odd negative feedback on side-by-side models. People say there isn't much room but isn't 23 cubic feet in side-by-side the same amount of room a 23 cubic feet in french door? I know we wouldn't be able to fit gigantic cake and pizza boxes but if that's all, I think I would be willing to sacrifice it.

Thoughts?
Old 2009-12-16, 06:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
I wanted to bring this topic back up. What are people's thoughts on counter depth fridges? We are getting our pantry set forward, and adding a gable (so, 26" deep). I dont want the fridge sticking out so we will be doing counter depth. Any advice on what style to go for?
We're so happy with our 22cuft counter-depth KitchenAid. The space wouldn't be the same with a fridge sticking out past the broom closet and counter.
Old 2009-12-16, 06:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcol27 View Post
I too would like a counter-depth but don't like the price tag that comes with it.
There's a side by side one by Frigidaire that is counter depth and 23 cubic feet for about the price of a standard depth french door fridge.

I'm tempted to go with this one for the price but hear the odd negative feedback on side-by-side models. People say there isn't much room but isn't 23 cubic feet in side-by-side the same amount of room a 23 cubic feet in french door? I know we wouldn't be able to fit gigantic cake and pizza boxes but if that's all, I think I would be willing to sacrifice it.

Thoughts?
I got all frigidaire in the kitchen aside from the fridge. we wanted to get the side by side but found the drawers to be very difficult to open in the frigidaire. the freezer is also pretty tiny in it.