Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2007-11-19, 10:32 PM
Regular User

Default Coaxial + speaker wires

My builder is providing 2 TV outlets and 1 smart-wire bundle (wall panel containing 2 coaxial, 1 tel, 1cat5). I want three TV outlets .... the builder suggests that additional TV outlet would be at 90 bucks or so. But can't the 2 coaxial available in the smart-wire bundle also be considered for TV outlet?

I was thinking of placing the smart-wire bundle in the Family room (1 coaxial for TV, 1 coaxial for satellite), 1 TV outlet in Master bedroom and 1 TV outlet in the kitchen area. Can this configuration work?

Also how hard is it to fish speaker cables through baseboard and up the walls after the house is built. The builder is asking too much for providing speaker wires.
Old 2007-11-19, 11:15 PM
Administrator

The 'smart wire' they are offering is more than likely a single jacketed cable that contains all the cables you mention. 2x RG6 and 2xCAT5 as this is what is available from the large local cable supplier that we all use. It's a single cable bundle, meaning, you cannot split any of the individual cables out from it without creating more work.

So as long as you are comfortable with that configuration, you should be fine.

If you have plans of a TV above a fireplace, do NOT have them run any TV jacks above the fireplace, it will be useless. Reason being if you also want to get any sort of satellite or digital cable for HDTV channels, you will need a digital box capable of bringing in those signals.

As for speaker cables, it can be done. I do it all the time. However, the price afterwards may end up being the same, or close to what it costs ahead of time. Also doing it afterwards reduces the possibilities for placement.

If you want to do any of these things prior to drywall, let me know. I've done a few things in Arista homes.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-11-20, 11:20 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
The 'smart wire' they are offering is more than likely a single jacketed cable that contains all the cables you mention. 2x RG6 and 2xCAT5 as this is what is available from the large local cable supplier that we all use. It's a single cable bundle, meaning, you cannot split any of the individual cables out from it without creating more work.
The company doing the TV outlets, etc are called 'Built-in-Technology'. They showed me this smart-wire bundle..... it had a wall panel with four outlets coming out in the front and four corresponding wires coming from the back, 2 individual coaxial, 1 cat5 and 1 telephone wire all separate but connected to one wall panel. I can place this panel anywhere in the house. I was thinking of putting this in the family room (which has no fireplace) at about 5 ft above the ground (right behind the mounted TV). I was mainly interested in the 2 coaxial coming out of this panel, one could potentially be used to run TV and the other to connect to Satellite receiver etc. I sure would loose the 1cat5 outlet by mounting it high but i think I'll be having a wireless network anyways.

Quote:
If you want to do any of these things prior to drywall, let me know. I've done a few things in Arista homes.
I'll see if Arista will allow me to get any speaker work done before the drywall is up! Guess a lot depends on the supervisor of the site and how willing he is! In general do the supervisors allow such kind of thing?

Also one more thing about Built-in-Technology..they really want new homeowners to get their alarm system and pay 25bucks for 3 years. I asked them their prices for conduit and speaker wire installation, etc. They gave me reasonable prices ..but as soon as got to know i was not interested in the alarm system, they jacked up all the prices by some amount. I thought that was soooooo cheeky!!!
Old 2007-11-20, 11:39 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideB View Post
Also one more thing about Built-in-Technology..they really want new homeowners to get their alarm system and pay 25bucks for 3 years. I asked them their prices for conduit and speaker wire installation, etc. They gave me reasonable prices ..but as soon as got to know i was not interested in the alarm system, they jacked up all the prices by some amount. I thought that was soooooo cheeky!!!
ha ha...
been there, complained about them before I've only got the conduit from basement to attic with them. Same story, gave me a good price, but when they foud out I don't need their alarm as I'll be getting it with somebody else, they raised the price by about 50%.
And their price for the video monitoring system and the intercom was not really that good, especially since the standard offer uses what looked to be old-ish technology.

If they are the recommended installed from the builder, chances are they will not allow you to bring anybody else in to do work. But definitely try, maybe your builder is more relaxed (I doubt it, there's more to it than just letting somebody on the site - there's a lot of safety issues and quality controls they have to go through, and can't really control what the client's installer does).
Old 2007-11-20, 11:55 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik003 View Post
ha ha...
been there, complained about them before I've only got the conduit from basement to attic with them. Same story, gave me a good price, but when they foud out I don't need their alarm as I'll be getting it with somebody else, they raised the price by about 50%.
And their price for the video monitoring system and the intercom was not really that good, especially since the standard offer uses what looked to be old-ish technology.

If they are the recommended installed from the builder, chances are they will not allow you to bring anybody else in to do work. But definitely try, maybe your builder is more relaxed (I doubt it, there's more to it than just letting somebody on the site - there's a lot of safety issues and quality controls they have to go through, and can't really control what the client's installer does).
So did you get the speaker wiring installed later on after the drywall was up?
Old 2007-11-20, 02:51 PM
Regular User

I did not get anything else but the conduit from them. I'll get all the rest done after closing.
Old 2007-11-20, 03:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik003 View Post
I did not get anything else but the conduit from them. I'll get all the rest done after closing.
Who will get getting to get speaker wire done? Heard Greg is pretty good.
Old 2007-11-20, 08:53 PM
Administrator

I'll tell you right now.. I do not install alarm systems I'll run the wire for them, but in no way will I install the system

If you need things done in your home for home theatre, speakers, security cameras, central vacuums, etc.. Let me know.

Thanks.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/