Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2018-03-17, 07:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
they do offer removing the insulation and putting new. but they said it won't make much of a difference in terms of temperature and so my wife doesn't want to pay extra for it.
You're getting hardly much of an R-value from the builder bagged insulation - especially when compacted behind studs.

Adding rigid foam/spray foam/roxul is going to boost that significantly...I'm now worried reading that statement from your contractor "removing the insulation and putting new. but they said it won't make much of a difference in terms of temperature"
Old 2018-03-17, 11:10 PM
Regular User

they said the way its insulated now, it meets code. plus they will add heat registers because the main floor has 7 and the basement has 4. the basement has to have the same as the main floor, according to code.
Old 2018-03-18, 12:32 PM
Regular User

Your house buddy - the more I read with this thread and the other one you started on 'should I get a permit', the more I am convinced that budget is driving your decisions and you're already cutting corners to try to get the project done - not good.

Good luck to you but I fear you're going to run into problems down the road.
Old 2018-03-18, 12:34 PM
Regular User

what kind of problems?
Old 2018-03-19, 10:23 PM
Regular User

If you want to save some money, just skip the roxul / spray foam / rigid panel and do a standard builder type insulation of a framed 2x4 wall, set out from the concrete 2" with tar paper or housewrap on the concretr wall and put r20batt in the stud openings, with vapour barrier on top. Or better yet frame 3" out and put 2 layers of r12, one horizontally behind the studs and a second on the stud openings.

This is typical builder standard in most new homes, I believe only one builder uses that blanket stuff.

Not as good as some of the other insulation options, but economical, meets code and keeps things warm, and you dont get that cold, damp airspace between your blanket insulation and drywall. The sky is the limit when looking at the cost of doing a basement, if you go too nuts, you'll never get that money back when you sell, but you dont want to cut corners either, that will always come back to bite you.

Last edited by Rottn; 2018-03-20 at 06:06 AM.
Old 2018-03-20, 01:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
they said the way its insulated now, it meets code. plus they will add heat registers because the main floor has 7 and the basement has 4. the basement has to have the same as the main floor, according to code.
Did this info come from the same contractor? Its not correct - again. THis guy is making it up.
Old 2018-03-20, 01:26 PM
Regular User

This contractor definitely seems shady. I'd send him on his way. Probably the type you call with an issue 3 months down the road and the number is out of service.
Old 2018-03-20, 04:19 PM
Regular User

Just for completeness, bagged insulation when our home was built 7 years ago was R14. Since 2012, it has to be R20, so 50% thicker. If you have R14, I don't think it will meet code if you finish your basement today. The R-value will be printed on the clear plastic vapour barrier, repeatedly. The local building department may let you keep the old R14 insulation, but I doubt it.

Here's the thing with insulation values - they are for ideal installations. So, because there are small gaps around any type of batt insulation, and the batts can be compressed in spots, it never performs to its design value. Spray foam doesn't have gaps, so it meets its design value in actual installations. 2" closed call spray foam is R14, and it is very much better insulated than an R20 batt insulated wall. Code is 3" of closed cell spray foam, which is even better.
Old 2018-03-22, 10:03 AM
Regular User

the company I'm going with is ABC Reno. anyone have any experience with them?

Last edited by homie27; 2018-03-22 at 12:08 PM.
Old 2018-03-22, 10:21 AM
Regular User

Wow. You literally just posted the name of a company that offered to do a non-permitted basement renovation for you.

I'd reconsider that move.

Are you sure they didn't suggest you could apply for the permit and deal with the city yourself, and that's the source of the savings? Because what you've done is created a situation where they could get very mad at you, either for not understanding and effectively libeling them, or telling the truth and exposing them.

If it's the former, clear this up with them now. If it's the latter, decide if you want to be the guy to post it online.

Last edited by BartBandy; 2018-03-22 at 10:25 AM.