Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-07-27, 04:37 PM
Regular User

Smooth ceilings can be done after but its a messy messy job. No idea about cost. Gas line price sounds reasonable we paid 350 for our bbq line. Dont know how youd do that after.

We paid approx 3k for black iron but it included the modern posts
Old 2019-07-27, 07:06 PM
Regular User

1). Standard cabinet (Chateau Line) with Executive Kitchen $2290.00 ( drawing attached)

2). Standard cabinet (Chateau Line) with Grande Kitchen $3927.00 ( drawing attached)
*Personally, I would at least do the Executive Package - it looks like you get moulding around the tops of the cabinets and a set of pots/pans drawers. Going up to Grande would be personal choice as it includes a wall oven and cooktop.

3). Smooth ceiling on main floor cost $1220.00, is this can done after closing?

4). Smooth ceiling on second floor Cost is $2848.00, is this can done after closing?
*Smooth ceilings look so much better! If you have the opportunity to bring someone in before you move in, then maybe you'd save some $ doing it yourself. But I can only imagine it will be a huge hassle once you're settled in.

5). Standard interior door style or upgrade $396.00 for the whole house (picture attached) *Personal choice. But if you don't like the included style, it is definitely worth the money compared with buying new doors.

6). Frameless shower in en-suite cost $3304.00, is this can done after closing easily and cheaper? *Knowing whether they tile before or after putting in this frame would be my deciding factor. If doing it after closing means needing to re-tile then it is likely worth it to do with the builder.

12). Gas Line Rough-In for Future BBQ- $532
*I know plenty of people who enjoy having the gas line. But I also know several people who didn't end up putting it in the right place and have now paid to move it or just use propane.

13. Framing for wall mounted TV-$426 *If this includes the conduit from the tv to a location of your choice on the wall then I would recommend it.

14). Conduit from basement to attic- $255 *Could come in very handy - if you install a security system, want to run speakers upstairs, etc.

While I would never advocate for anyone taking on a mortgage larger than they are financially comfortable with, I will say that we regret not adding in a few upgrades with our builder. When the total was staring back at us in a spreadsheet, we got scared and pulled out a lot of things to keep our design centre budget at a "reasonable" amount. But looking back, the extra $10-20/month would have been totally worth it. Now we are paying the full amount out of pocket...so we have ended up living with things we don't love while we slow make our way through the to-do list. But....if this is not a forever home, and more of a 5yr home, remember that you won't get any extra money on re-sale for any of the upgrades you listed (except maybe hardwood stairs).
Old 2019-07-27, 08:28 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
1). Standard cabinet (Chateau Line) with Executive Kitchen $2290.00 ( drawing attached)

2). Standard cabinet (Chateau Line) with Grande Kitchen $3927.00 ( drawing attached)
*Personally, I would at least do the Executive Package - it looks like you get moulding around the tops of the cabinets and a set of pots/pans drawers. Going up to Grande would be personal choice as it includes a wall oven and cooktop.

4). Smooth ceiling on second floor Cost is $2848.00, is this can done after closing?
*Smooth ceilings look so much better! If you have the opportunity to bring someone in before you move in, then maybe you'd save some $ doing it yourself. But I can only imagine it will be a huge hassle once you're settled in.

5). Standard interior door style or upgrade $396.00 for the whole house (picture attached) *Personal choice. But if you don't like the included style, it is definitely worth the money compared with buying new doors.

6). Frameless shower in en-suite cost $3304.00, is this can done after closing easily and cheaper? *Knowing whether they tile before or after putting in this frame would be my deciding factor. If doing it after closing means needing to re-tile then it is likely worth it to do with the builder.

*I know plenty of people who enjoy having the gas line. But I also know several people who didn't end up putting it in the right place and have now paid to move it or just use propane.

13. Framing for wall mounted TV-$426 *If this includes the conduit from the tv to a location of your choice on the wall then I would recommend it.

14). Conduit from basement to attic- $255 *Could come in very handy - if you install a security system, want to run speakers upstairs, etc.

While I would never advocate for anyone taking on a mortgage larger than they are financially comfortable with, I will say that we regret not adding in a few upgrades with our builder. When the total was staring back at us in a spreadsheet, we got scared and pulled out a lot of things to keep our design centre budget at a "reasonable" amount. But looking back, the extra $10-20/month would have been totally worth it. Now we are paying the full amount out of pocket...so we have ended up living with things we don't love while we slow make our way through the to-do list. But....if this is not a forever home, and more of a 5yr home, remember that you won't get any extra money on re-sale for any of the upgrades you listed (except maybe hardwood stairs).
Thanks for your recommendation
Old 2019-07-27, 08:30 PM
Regular User

From my experience I would only do with the builder what I cannot do after taking possession, or do not want to deal with after possession.

The builders prices are almost always overpriced and relying on someone else to supervise work being done for you, is always a crap shoot and one that you will usually do poorly on compared to doing the work with someone you choose and supervise later on.

If you're not planning on living in the house for long then structural upgrades are a waste of time, as buyers normally do not appreciate them. That being said, those are normally the only upgrades I will do with a builder because you can't very easily do them after the fact, if at all.

Good luck!
Old 2019-07-27, 08:52 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stittsville resident View Post
From my experience I would only do with the builder what I cannot do after taking possession, or do not want to deal with after possession.

The builders prices are almost always overpriced and relying on someone else to supervise work being done for you, is always a crap shoot and one that you will usually do poorly on compared to doing the work with someone you choose and supervise later on.

If you're not planning on living in the house for long then structural upgrades are a waste of time, as buyers normally do not appreciate them. That being said, those are normally the only upgrades I will do with a builder because you can't very easily do them after the fact, if at all.

Good luck!
Thanks for recommendation
Old 2019-07-27, 08:52 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reens09 View Post
Smooth ceilings can be done after but its a messy messy job. No idea about cost. Gas line price sounds reasonable we paid 350 for our bbq line. Dont know how youd do that after.

We paid approx 3k for black iron but it included the modern posts
Old 2019-07-28, 11:25 AM
Regular User

At my old place I got someone to take off the popcorn ceiling, and for the main floor it cost about $1000 just for the removal and primer. I painted the ceiling and then had to repaint the walls to get a clean finish. Based on this, I'd say pay the extra with the builder if you like smooth ceilings. On my new place I only did it on the main floor as it was crazy expensive on the second, as your numbers show.

10). Increase Gas Line from 1” to 1 1⁄4”-$350

This depends on the number of gas appliances you have and you will not have a choice if you pass the number.

The cost isn't that far from what you'd do after the fact. If you need them, put them in.

14). Conduit from basement to attic- $255

I did this one, but my alarm installer didn't even use it. They don't like going into the attic at all. Jury is still out as to whether it was a good expense.
Old 2019-07-28, 11:32 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post

At my old place I got someone to take off the popcorn ceiling, and for the main floor it cost about $1000 just for the removal and primer. I painted the ceiling and then had to repaint the walls to get a clean finish. Based on this, I'd say pay the extra with the builder if you like smooth ceilings. On my new place I only did it on the main floor as it was crazy expensive on the second, as your numbers show.

10). Increase Gas Line from 1” to 1 1⁄4”-$350

This depends on the number of gas appliances you have and you will not have a choice if you pass the number.

The cost isn't that far from what you'd do after the fact. If you need them, put them in.

14). Conduit from basement to attic- $255

I did this one, but my alarm installer didn't even use it. They don't like going into the attic at all. Jury is still out as to whether it was a good expense.