Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-08-12, 11:16 AM
Regular User

Agree with Halton Home Inspector. Very strongly recommend 30 day and 1 year inspection if you are a home owner. Specifically inspectors who use latest cutting edge tools like thermal scanning atleast for one of the the inspection if not both. You will be very surprised with what they catch which a normal person cannot see. Do not skimp on the money for this.
Old 2019-08-12, 11:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikka View Post
Agree with Halton Home Inspector. Very strongly recommend 30 day and 1 year inspection if you are a home owner. Specifically inspectors who use latest cutting edge tools like thermal scanning atleast for one of the the inspection if not both. You will be very surprised with what they catch which a normal person cannot see. Do not skimp on the money for this.
I believe we are talking about a PDI inspection here.
Old 2019-08-12, 11:41 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post

Edit: Actually, we even asked a home inspector about this. They said it's a waste of money, you'd be better off hiring one for the 30-day tarion list.
That's because the PDI is primarily an inspection to identify chips, scratches, upgrades, how nice the paint looks and blaw, blaw, blaw.

It is not a real home inspection and it is not the time to do a home inspection.

No point in looking in the attic for example during the PDI to look for issues that are covered for one year while missing a big gouge in the hardwood floor near the front door that must for example be identified at the PDI.
Old 2019-08-12, 11:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:

I've heard of some builders denying you the option of bringing an inspector to the PDI, meaning you'd have to have them come in seperately.
Those builders are violating the New Home Warranty Act in Ontario and a person should be very sceptical of the integrity of any builder that does this, BUT, again it comes down to the professional behaviour of the inspector.

Some bone head inspectors that do not understand the new construction inspection and PDI processes may think he / she is at the PDI to do a "home inspection" when that is the last thing they should be doing.

During the PDI a professional inspector will stay in the background, not interfere with the builders rep, and help the new home buyer identify PDI issues. Then again, even that makes some builders reps heads explode because they can't handle a client getting real help.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2019-08-12 at 11:51 AM.
Old 2019-08-12, 11:56 AM
Regular User

Quote:
I believe we are talking about a PDI inspection here.
I think the OP was wondering if it was necessary to hire a home inspector at any time since the home was under Tarion warranty. It then somehow morphed into a PDI question.

To the OP. You definitely need a home inspector to look over things. Tarion won't be asking you if you have any warranty items. You need to let them know and an inspector will catch things that should be fixed by the builder.

PDI inspection...no
30 day inspection...definitely yes
1 year inspection...most likely yes.
Old 2019-08-12, 02:15 PM
Regular User

Unless you are an experienced inspector yourself, or familiar with such things, I would with 100% confidence state that anyone who does not hire a home inspector on a new home build is CRAZY.

We used Phil Acker. He was excellent.

There are so many little details, things your builder may not have done up to acceptable code, that you WILL MISS unless you know what to look for. Things that will hurt you and your home's value SIGNIFICANTLY down the road, if you do not address early on.

We had a corner unit and our builder did not install the siding properly on the corner side. It looked great to me. But the brick needed to have 1/3" more support or it would have been at risk during an earthquake, for house to literally FALL APART. Again, this would never be noticeable to anyone without an untrained eye. I would not have known to look for, or noticed that 1/3 of an inch was not being supported properly. It honestly looked normal. However, the builder fixed this immediately upon our inspector discovering it. It was an urgent matter.

We had about a half dozen other things like this...things that look 100% normal but are not acceptable. And about a dozen other 'would be nice' things that we wouldn't have noticed either, but were not critical.

Cannot imagine ever not hiring a home inspector again for such a large investment. It is truly a no-brainer.

I wish you the best of luck and hope this information helps.

Last edited by Mopstah; 2019-08-12 at 02:18 PM.
Old 2019-08-12, 09:48 PM
Regular User

I thinking to hire for 1 year deadline
Old 2019-08-13, 08:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Orleans View Post
I think the OP was wondering if it was necessary to hire a home inspector at any time since the home was under Tarion warranty. It then somehow morphed into a PDI question.

To the OP. You definitely need a home inspector to look over things. Tarion won't be asking you if you have any warranty items. You need to let them know and an inspector will catch things that should be fixed by the builder.

PDI inspection...no
30 day inspection...definitely yes
1 year inspection...most likely yes.
I agree. It is also useless to have an inspector at the PDI as the PDI isn't a Tarion warranty point. During your home inspection, your time is better spent with the inspector. You can't do this if you are accompanying the builder's rep during the PDI.
Old 2019-08-13, 08:14 PM
Regular User

I hired two different inspectors for my 30 day and one year. We're often suggested to get multiple estimates for projects so why not different inspectors.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2019-08-14, 10:07 PM
Regular User

That’s what we did:

PDI: no inspection needed.

30-Day: get an inspector, but first note all deficiencies yourself -homeowner is the best inspector in my opinion, plus you would have 30 days to do it- and compare/add the rest to the inspection report

Year-End: depend if the builder fixed most (if any found) deficiencies. And we did the inspection as well

Good luck