Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2018-04-10, 10:47 AM
Regular User

Default Interlocking fixups

Hi guys,

Last year I hired a guy to interlock my driveway, this year I noticed few places on the driveway sunk and needs some work. I tried contacting the guy but he is nowhere to see, I guess it is a common practice with such people to do the work, get the money and vanish.

I want to hire someone to come and redo that part of the driveway, take the stones away, put some more crush, tamp again and lay the stones back.

Any idea if a reputable company will agree to do that and then have ownership of what they have done?

I am afraid I do not have skills/tools to do it myself.
Old 2018-04-10, 12:47 PM
Regular User

Assuming this guy didn't really put down a proper subbase, this will keep happening every year. If it's not a tripping hazard, maybe wait another year or two and see if things stabilize a bit. If it was a really lousy job, you may need to remove the pavers, excavate all the granular and then the loose and compressible material below, and do it all over again. At least you own the pavers.
Old 2018-04-10, 01:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBandy View Post
Assuming this guy didn't really put down a proper subbase, this will keep happening every year. If it's not a tripping hazard, maybe wait another year or two and see if things stabilize a bit. If it was a really lousy job, you may need to remove the pavers, excavate all the granular and then the loose and compressible material below, and do it all over again. At least you own the pavers.
It is happening only at the specific side on a specific spot. Cars have been parked on the driveway all over during the last year and nowhere else I can see any issues, it is just this one part it seems it is not enough tamped or something.

Would any company even agree to redo it? Like mark the pavers, take them away, redo the base for a bit larger section than this problematic part and put back stones.

I am not a handyman at all to try to do it myself.
Old 2018-04-10, 02:13 PM
Regular User

Any small company will come in, remove the pavers in the affected area, put down some more sand, rake it, screed it with a 2x4, plate tamper, then replace the pavers. Maybe place some polymeric sand for the joints.
Old 2018-04-10, 04:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBandy View Post
Any small company will come in, remove the pavers in the affected area, put down some more sand, rake it, screed it with a 2x4, plate tamper, then replace the pavers. Maybe place some polymeric sand for the joints.
Any recommendations? I am in GTA.
Old 2018-04-10, 05:22 PM
Regular User

Not really. Find someone in a local paper. It's a small, easy job. Because of that, you're effectively going to be overcharged. Most companies don't like small jobs. Sounds like the sort of thing someone in the local paper would do on a weekend. If we're talking about a 10x10 area, consider it's about a half day to one day for 2 guys.

Someone is going to say that's too much time or too little. But that's my moderately-educated guess.
Old 2018-04-15, 01:03 PM
Regular User

Interlocking.

Sorry, but IMO this material is the worst choice for a driveway.

A thick layered and heavily tamped base is needed to support vehicles even when done properly these driveways usually do not look great for long.

Where I am your only hope would be to find a handyman ( Ooops,,, Handy person. ) or small landscaping company.

Companies who do this professionally in my area are generally too busy to repair someone else's mistakes. You will of course need to rent a tamper.

Like already said - You may want to wait to see what else happens with the driveway and make repairs then.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2018-04-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 2018-04-15, 01:41 PM
Regular User

It can be done well, but not for the price people want to pay. I know some companies want over 12" of subbase. 18" in some cases.
Old 2018-04-16, 03:18 PM
Regular User

Yeah this guy did not do it properly. At least I paid him next to nothing. But now few sections I need to redo after the first year.
Old 2018-04-17, 09:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by erexa View Post
Yeah this guy did not do it properly. At least I paid him next to nothing.
Maybe that's the issue? Get what you pay for.