Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2006-10-07, 11:09 PM
Regular User

Default How long is / will be your commute?

I'm curious... all you new buyers in Fairwinds, JT, Kanata, other areas of Stittsville, how long will yoru commute to work be once you move?

My commute currently takes 10 minutes and that includes dropping my son off at the daycare when there is traffic! Same for my wife.. That's pretty hard to beat. When we bought our new house, we were also carpooling, she used to work on the same street!

We'll be moving to Jackson Trails in Stittsville so that's an extra 10 - 15 minutes on the commute and my wife is now changing job and will be working on the Vanier Parkway for the RCMP so she's looking at a 45 - 60 minutes commute during peak rush hour (it's only 20 minutes without traffic though! ) We're not really looking forward to her commute... As for me, I'm in high tech so who knows where I'll work and for how long due to the lack of stability of high tech...
Old 2006-10-10, 01:29 PM
KBMF

Hi mart,

My commute right now is about 5-8mins. Once I move it will be about 15-20 if not longer. Im just hoping traffic into Kanata at around 430 wont be as bas as I have seen it in the last while!
Old 2006-10-10, 01:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMF
Im just hoping traffic into Kanata at around 430 wont be as bas as I have seen it in the last while!
If the sens play, traffic is a major PITA.
Old 2006-10-10, 01:46 PM
KBMF

How early does traffic get backed up when the sens play? im hoping on days like that i can leave work at 330 and beat the rush. am i dreaming here?
Old 2006-10-10, 01:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMF
How early does traffic get backed up when the sens play? im hoping on days like that i can leave work at 330 and beat the rush. am i dreaming here?
I don't remember exactly, it's been a while (5 years?) since I had a job that required me to take the 417. Leaving at 3:30 shouldn't be too bad though.
Old 2006-10-10, 03:45 PM
KBMF

Thanks for the info mart!
Old 2006-10-10, 05:44 PM
Regular User

There will still be a delay at 3:30pm - government people heading home at that time, plus all the people going to the game who want to avoid the traffic

Traffic will be slow, but not too bad (I use to travel that way a year or so ago). But if you travel around 5pm - be prepared for a good delay!

I can actually walk or bike to work (which I do as often as I can now). My commute is only a few minutes when I drive. I know that my office could move one day or I could change job - so to me, I would want to have easy access to the hwy and to public transit (park 'n ride lot).
Old 2006-10-10, 10:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph
I know that my office could move one day or I could change job - so to me, I would want to have easy access to the hwy and to public transit (park 'n ride lot).
Yup. Keywords here. Which is why I'm going forward with the jackson trails agreement...