Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2006-10-20, 11:07 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph
Did you see the kitchen floor after the ceramic titles were installed but before the cabinets were installed? Or did you only see it after the cabinet were installed and what you saw was ceramic also installed on the floor where the fridge, stove, and dishwasher usually goes?
Why wouldn't the builder want to install ceramic under the cabinets? If the standard is ceramic, ok, I understand but if standard is vinyl and you upgrade to ceramic, they make more money if they install it under the cabinets!
Old 2006-10-20, 11:10 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242
Investigation done: I saw it in person at "the healthiest building supplies" (135 holland) and at home depot. Verdict: I'm not putting that in my house. It could be nice in some stlyes of houses... but it looks worse in person than in pictures! Actually, the look is not even my biggest concern. I hated that the pressure of a finger nail would scratch it. With kids, it's a big no no.
Which home depot did you see it at? Did you see any bamboo flooring examples too? It would be nice to see a real size sample of these - not just the small samples you usually get to see. But I do not know of any model homes that make use of this type of flooring.
Old 2006-10-20, 11:14 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242
Why wouldn't the builder want to install ceramic under the cabinets? If the standard is ceramic, ok, I understand but if standard is vinyl and you upgrade to ceramic, they make more money if they install it under the cabinets!
They could... just wanted to know if they really did or not. Because he said it was standard in the kitchen, I just wanted to check. I would be cheaper for the builder not to install under the cabinets (unless of course the area is so small that it really did not make much of a difference).
Old 2006-10-20, 11:19 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Which home depot did you see it at? Did you see any bamboo flooring examples too? It would be nice to see a real size sample of these - not just the small samples you usually get to see. But I do not know of any model homes that make use of this type of flooring.
The one near universal appliances on Bank street (near hunt club). I also saw bamboo (I think that's what it was, didn't asked) at "the healthiest home building supplies) or whatever their name is, 135 holland (corner wellington). http://www.thehealthiesthome.com/

I'm not a big fan of bamboo either. Sure, it might be ecological but I'd buy engineered floor anytime instead of hardwood. I would also never buy hardwood from the rain forests.
Old 2006-10-26, 04:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Did you see the kitchen floor after the ceramic titles were installed but before the cabinets were installed? Or did you only see it after the cabinet were installed and what you saw was ceramic also installed on the floor where the fridge, stove, and dishwasher usually goes?

Thanks
We saw the entire floor before any of the cabinets were installed.

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!
Old 2006-10-27, 10:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes on you
Even if the builder installs the hardwood they will not be putting it under the cabinets!
Any flooring type is layed just past the kickboard and install the kickboard once the floor is done. Except for under the stove and fridge of course. I have never known a builder that would install any type of floor before cabinets go in. Waste of materials and time and money!

3/4" lower, not really, the floor is just 3/4" higher....You will not notice the difference.

For Mattamy owners, I asked Kim about this in an email and she said they install hardwood under the kitchen cabinets. If you ever want to change the layout of your kitchen later (move the island, whatever), this is a great thing to have....
Old 2006-10-28, 10:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&A
For Mattamy owners, I asked Kim about this in an email and she said they install hardwood under the kitchen cabinets. If you ever want to change the layout of your kitchen later (move the island, whatever), this is a great thing to have....
And you get to pay the $12 per square foot (or is it more for hardwood) for it, so more profits for Mattamy

Your island is proabably screwed/nail to the floor, so when you move it, you'll have holes to fill up in the hardwood. It will always be noticable.

Joseph