Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2006-09-28, 10:38 PM
Regular User

Cool Let's go Tankless!

C Here... Let's band together, let's Go Tankless!

This is not a sales pitch, just a simple idea... and I think I am going to push Mattamy for it!

If I understand correctly Mattamy has a contract with Ozz Comfort Solutions to provide Hot Water Tank (Gas or Electric) Rentals for the Mattamy Fairwinds Community.

I don't think I am alone in wanting better efficiency, better use of space, unlimited Hot Water... am I?

I want to go with a Tankless Hot Water solution : http://www.gotankless.com/index.html

I want to reclaim the wasted space in my basement, I want shower all day long with hot water, and I want to feel that I have an option that is the way of the future.

Do some reading on these units... 30-50% saving on water heating, electricity consumption *only* when the water runs!

I have done some research, and even Ozz Comfort Solutions has *tankless* options listed on their residential products page. (Tagaki)

Personally I am already convinced, plus I do not want to pay a "rental" fee for my hot water tank, so why should I spend $1K buying it out, when I can have a newer tankless option for a similar cost?

Who's with me.... If your not convinced, visit the page above, do some reading, watch the Discovery Channel, Disney Idea, and HGTV clips, these units are real, they work, and they save
Old 2006-09-28, 10:53 PM
Regular User

Do some more research. Tankless is not necessarly better. Winters are super cold here so the water has to be warmed up quite a bit which reduces the water flow (ie: not possible to use two devices at the same time). Do some digging on the home & garden forum on redflagdeals, I think that I posted a link to the white paper that makes detailed calculations.

If you have kids, think twice about it. I hate being ripped off by ozz but the tankless doesn't look like the perfect solution. I'll still get a quote from Tamarack because I know that they offer it as an upgrade. If I want to go tankless, now's the time to do it instead of paying the 1800$+ that I'd have to pay ozz to buy what is a 600$ heater...
Old 2006-09-29, 03:37 PM
Regular User

Yes, like mart242 said - do some more research.

I looked into this a few months ago (probably getting close to a year now). The biggest draw back is the limited flow from these. So you need to look at how you use hot water in your household. For example, having 2 showers at the same time, or running the dish washer and laundry washer at the same time? Etc. If so, you need enoug flow - and the more you need, the more expensive it is.

You might be better off with a hot water tank and just use a timmer to control when it heats the water.

However, if you have a big soaker tub (or something that needs lots of hot water) then they are really handy because you get a constant flow of hot water to fill it up.

Joseph