Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Tarion Questions

Tarion Questions Ask questions and share your experiences with Tarion. Note: It is to be understood that Tarion is not involved with this forum at all and that what you post should be factual. Do NOT post builders names or names of any of their representatives.

Old 2020-04-18, 07:54 PM

Default 1 year STC issues

Hello everyone.

I purchased a preconstruction property, it is now 1 year. It is a stacked town house, wood structure. I didn't know of the sound issues originally because the unit above didn't move in.

Anyway, in my bedroom, which is above the unit above's living room, you can easily hear their conversation, not raised voice, TV, music etc.

I am going to put it on the 1 year Tarion report but i am sure the builder will say that it is to specs, which i expect to respond with "workmanship is a huge factor that cannot be defined" I would expect it need to go to reconciliation.

I wanted to ask if anyone have experience with noise issues that went to reconciliation, what they did, how they measured it and what was the outcome.

Thanks a million!

Last edited by keljai; 2020-04-18 at 07:54 PM. Reason: sound, Toronto, Tarion, noise, impact noise,
Old 2020-04-21, 09:16 AM
Regular User

If you go the conciliation route you will be assigned an inspector and will have an opportunity to chat with them before they come out. While I wasn't having noise issues, the problem I was having wasn't clearly spelled out in the guidelines and speaking with Tarion gave me a clearer picture of what the outcome would be based on what they would be looking for when they came. I could then cancel if I wished or go through with it.