Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2013-05-08, 11:18 AM
Regular User

Default Will Kits

Both my wife and I have gone without a Last Will and Testament up until now. We've both known that it was important, especially now that we have recently added children to the mix and need to name guardians. After reading a few good things about the "Will-o-matic" kit (including decent reviews from a lawyer friend), I decided to give it a whirl. Our situation is very straight-forward, and the tax software-like feel to this kit made things really easy. $57, with unlimited changes for a year. Check it out if, like me, you've been putting this off.

Here's are a couple stories about this kit in particular:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2432567/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LZcc...ature=youtu.be
Old 2013-05-08, 02:38 PM
Regular User

Thanks Trepex.
We've been mulling over having a will put together as well.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to complete the program and have your will completed?

Old 2013-05-08, 03:57 PM
Regular User

Interesting, I was on a retirement course last fall and the lawyer that presented stated that wills are only valid if the entire will is hand written or done up by a lawyer.

It's also advised to have a power of attorney in case you get incapacitated.

I don't recall how much it cost to write up both but it certainly didn't cost as much as the article states.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2013-05-15, 10:09 PM
Regular User

Wow, that lawyer is kind of... an idiot. The only legal requirements for a will are:
- Needs to be in writing
- Testamentary competency (older than 18 and "mentally sound")
- Signature
- 2 witnesses at time of signature UNLESS it is a "holograph will" - hand written, signed, and dated by the testator

I dunno, maybe you just got a great deal. The quotes we got weren't much under the ones quotes. The rates we were quoted were basically $350 for a straight-forward case.

We didn't really see power of attorney being all that important right now. Living wills are certainly becoming more popular these days though... not a bad idea to decide who gets to pull the plug, and when!
Old 2013-05-15, 10:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_ottawa View Post
Thanks Trepex.
We've been mulling over having a will put together as well.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to complete the program and have your will completed?
About an hour or so once we had decided the answers to the basic questions like who would be guardians, what would be the age at which children would receive their inheritance, etc. Pretty quick!
Old 2013-05-16, 08:17 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Wow, that lawyer is kind of... an idiot. The only legal requirements for a will are:
- Needs to be in writing
- Testamentary competency (older than 18 and "mentally sound")
- Signature
- 2 witnesses at time of signature UNLESS it is a "holograph will" - hand written, signed, and dated by the testator

I dunno, maybe you just got a great deal. The quotes we got weren't much under the ones quotes. The rates we were quoted were basically $350 for a straight-forward case.

We didn't really see power of attorney being all that important right now. Living wills are certainly becoming more popular these days though... not a bad idea to decide who gets to pull the plug, and when!
Perhaps but he has given the same speech to thousands of federal government employees and last I heard, he's still one of the presenters for the retirement course. He must know what he's talking about otherwise he wouldn't be asked to keep presenting.

I actually had my will and power of attorney drawn up when I bought my house, by another lawyer, and the retirement lawyer offered a free consultation. He found some things that I should be aware of that the first lawyer and I didn't think of so again, he can't be that bad.

I got the will and power of attorney for $275 plus GST in 2010. Not sure what the going rate for the retirement lawyer is but IMO, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the value of the house and belongings.
Moved In: April 10th 2010

Last edited by BrianT; 2013-05-17 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Added price of will
Old 2013-05-19, 10:52 AM
Regular User

Regardless, if he's actually a lawyer then it's kind of hard to believe he'd suggest that a will's validity depends on a lawyer drafting it. Maybe he was referring to the need to have sworn affidavits from your two witnesses, but even those are only required when the will is executed? Getting the docs notarized right away is generally advised so that the trustee doesn't have to chase them down after the fact.