Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?

Old 2014-05-27, 10:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
Just a few comments. First, for me, that side burner would be very usefull. It isn't just a regular side burner but is actually extra grilling space where you can sear at very high heat. Very useful when it comes to grilling a great steak.

Second, if you are set on Napoleon (a great Canadian choice) Costco sells a couple of Napoleon grills online. Not sure if they are cheaper (they probably don't sell the exact same models) but just an option.

Third, I also have a Kamado type grill and use it more than my BBQ. Great for low and slow cooking like pulled pork or brisket, great for grilling burgers and steaks, even great for making some of the best pizzas you have ever had. Nothing matches the taste of charcoal.

But like everything there is a but. And in this case it is the fact that it isn't really geared towards grilling for large crowds. You can definately cook up some pulled pork for a large crowd but if you plan on grilling up some burgers or steaks for more than 4 or 5 people on a regular basis then a regular grill will be a better choice and Napoeon is a good brand.
The model of Napoleon that Costco sells, is made in China. Same goes for the ones they sell/used to sell at Canadian Tire.

Old 2014-05-27, 10:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
Warmer weather is finally here and backyard patio season has finally arrived. With that, I thought I'd get some input from folks on BBQs. What you have, what you like, what you wish you should of bought, etc.

I'm in the market to replace my old, worn down, 10+ year old unit. I've been looking at Napoleon units and wavering back and forth between two models. The units I'm considering are the Pro500RB and Pro500RSIB. Main difference is the addition of the infrared side burner and integrated ice bucket/cutting board on the 500RSIB. I'll never use the ice bucket, cutting board is not important to me. I'm wondering if the infrared side burner is really worth a $400 premium.

Does anyone have one of these units? Do you use or like the infrared burner?

What other models or recommendations can anyone suggest? Should I look at Weber?
I bought the model without side burner. My buddy has the one WITH it. He ONLY uses it to sear steaks. Otherwise he says he does not use it at all. So if you plan to cook a lot of steak, it's a good option to have. The ice bucket thing is a bit of a gimmick though...

Old 2014-05-27, 04:45 PM
Regular User

Exactly. You need to think what you will be cooking. We went with a smoker as we love pulled pork, brisket, ribs, smoked beans, etc. I love steak but have them blue so cooking time would be minimal at best on a traditional gas grill.