Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2009-06-23, 09:58 AM
Regular User

Default Wavy/Bumpy Ensuite Shower Floor

Hi everybody, my ensuite shower was leaking so they came and break up the floor and fixed he leak. Previous to this, the floor was perfectly smooth. When they redid the floor - I noticed that it was too wavey/bumpy (as if there's was a big indentation/hole in the floor). So I stopped work right away and demanded that <name removed> from customer rep inspect it. She agreed and they redid the floor again. However, we noticed that they didn't break up the floor. Instead they just pour more conrete to it. We noticed it was still not to our satisfaction but was live-able. After a while of putting up with it, my wife is starting to complain again.

Therefore, I thought I posted pictures of the floor. Can you compares to your ensuite floor and let me know if you agree/disagree? Should we call <name removed> from Fernbrook to come fix it again? We hate to constantly bugging people if it's not justified.

Last edited by GregS; 2009-06-23 at 07:33 PM. Reason: do NOT use the names of builders staff!
Old 2009-06-23, 04:04 PM
Regular User

it's hard to break up the floor if they've used a rubber membrane - cracking the concrete can tear the membrane and leave you with a leaky shower. if they're breaking out the concrete, they might have to take up the bottom row of tiles and re-do the membrane.
Old 2009-06-23, 05:15 PM
Regular User

in otherwords its gonna take some work for them to fix it right... Tear it down!
Old 2009-06-23, 05:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
in otherwords its gonna take some work for them to fix it right... Tear it down!
or call Mr "Make It Right".... Mike Holmes
Old 2009-06-23, 05:31 PM
Regular User

exactly, although we should have have to call him especially with a new home.... but as we all see on his show....
Old 2009-06-23, 06:56 PM
Regular User

Banger,

I'm not a tile person, but I find it weird that they didn't put a full tile on the wall next to the floor and use smaller ones at the top?? Perhaps you can use that to when approaching them to do the entire shower correctly.
Old 2009-06-23, 09:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhillon View Post
Banger,

I'm not a tile person, but I find it weird that they didn't put a full tile on the wall next to the floor and use smaller ones at the top??

I agree. My shower starts with a full tile on the bottom and fortunately ends with a full tile on the top.

The slope/grade in the picture looks good for proper water drainage to prevent pooling but there does seem to be more "bumpy" areas on the floor. Just looks like a half ass job which probably feels akward on the feet but hopefullly won't lead to a leak or any problems.
Old 2009-06-24, 08:27 AM
Regular User

Default tiles

Not sure why you would want the small tiles at the top where they would be much more apparent as you look at the shower? They are less obvious at the bottom, my opinion but I am no expert.

I agree the floor looks terrible, get it fixed. If you call Mike Holmes be prepared for a $30K bill to do the job. It is great the way he does things but go check out the costs of some of the materials he uses. Now if you get the show to pay for the repair that is a good deal. I know you get what you pay for but economy passengers arrive at their destination in a fraction of a second behind first class.

Last edited by Big Al; 2009-06-24 at 08:32 AM.
Old 2009-06-24, 08:59 AM
Regular User

Why would I need to repair this on my own? Am I not covered in the Tarion? It was leaking before and the floor was smooth until they fixed the leak and redid the floor.

I should also add that they only need to tear down 1 or 2 lower tiles to redo the floor. They didn't re-tile the whole wall. I don't mind the smaller tiles on the bottom as it's not really noticeable. I think it would be more noticeable if it was on top. When they fixed the leak, I inquire if they can re-tile my wall with granite. They said sure, "2k". I said "Go * yourself". Actually, I didn't say that. Just kidding.

Last edited by banger; 2009-06-24 at 09:15 AM.
Old 2009-06-24, 10:30 AM
Regular User

Default Tiles

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you should fix it yourself. I agree the builder should do the work. I would be interested to hear what Tarion would say. They seem to have allowances that ensure functionality without concern for appearance.