Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2010-01-11, 01:03 PM
Regular User

Default When to get ducts cleaned?

Hi,

just thinking ahead abit as to when to get my ducts cleaned? move day, closing day?

TIA!
Old 2010-01-11, 01:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag1 View Post
Hi,

just thinking ahead abit as to when to get my ducts cleaned? move day, closing day?

TIA!
some builders already clean, make sure do not waste money
Old 2010-01-11, 01:41 PM
Regular User

I did mine a month after closing. Builder said they did it, but still found some debris in the vents. Not sure if I found enough debris to warrant paying for a duct cleaning. Duct cleaner said the previous company actually did a pretty good job, and found minimal stuff in my vents. But for $150, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

One forewarning though is that after the builder does it, they usually still have to install carpets and baseboards, of which they still tend to throw the particles (drywall crumbs, carpet strands) down the ducts, and maybe one coffee cup. So its up to you.

If you trust your builder, don't do it. If they've done some sketchy stuff, like leave food on your floors when working on your house (i found cigarettes, bananas, sandwiches, beef patty wrappers), then yeah I'd do it; cause those guys are likely still in your house working on it after they do the duct cleaning.

On the positive at least I never found poo on my floors like some other poster mentioned finding in his basement due to no port-a-potty being located near the house for the workers.
Old 2010-01-11, 01:57 PM
Regular User

poo on the floor??? excuse me!!! I have seen the cigareete butts, beer bottles, lunch leftovers.....kind of makes me a little like hey i put SOME money into this home already...put your crap in one place...BUT POO>?>
Old 2010-01-11, 02:45 PM
Regular User

Refer to post #3 on this posting

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=12009

And when he complained about it, they told him not to visit the site anymore. hahaha.
Old 2010-01-11, 08:01 PM
Regular User

^ same problem, pee everywhere. lol.. we put in the contract that they would bleach the basement floors.