Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-04-26, 11:45 PM
Regular User

Default porcelain vs granite floor tile

I apologize if there's already a thread in the past discussing this. I tried to look back but couldn't find anything.

I was originally planning on putting porcelain floor tile in my kitchen, however I have been recommended granite by a few people.

As a result, I'm on here to get people's opinions or experiences.

-I don't need a discussion about cost...I know both vary a lot, and generally granite is more expensive.
-I do use my kitchen a lot, so my fear/impression of granite is that it will be slippery if wet. I'm guessing I may be able to get honed granite....but again, on here to gather more knowledge for myself!

Thanks in advance!
Old 2011-04-27, 10:00 AM
Regular User

The only thing I would bring up is the maintenance factor. With granite because it is a natural stone you would have to seal it. Where as a porcelain tile there is no maintenance other than your regular cleaning / swiffering etc.

Another side note, with a honed granite because your taking the polished finish off the tile, you're removing a layer of protection. So it would have to be sealed more regularly than a polished granite tile.

3 Bedroom Urbandale Pasadena - Bridlewood
Closing Dec 2012
Old 2011-04-27, 11:05 AM
Regular User

not sure why you would want granite in the kitchen. Go porcelain, as discussed, there is no maintenance and definitely better when wet.
Old 2011-04-27, 12:18 PM
Regular User

My sister in law has granite in her whole entrance, kitchen, pretty much anywhere they would put tile including the bathrooms. She hasn't complained of it, I guess it depends on the pattern but I felt it was too busy, I personally didn't like it, I don't know about maintenance, however I know you have to seal granite countertops so i'm assuming it would be the same. I also did feel that granite did get slippery, even when it's not wet, when I would walk on it, it felt like it was way too smooth of a surface for me. Hope this helps! This is similar to her granite, I mean you'll get the idea of how smooth the surface is, it's the last picture.
http://www.whiteeaglehomes.ca/6-leveque-way
Old 2011-08-06, 11:33 AM
Regular User

Lightbulb

IMO, I Don't Like Granite, Don't Like The Look Of It. I Really Like Polished Porcelain, Looks Similiar To Marble. I Got Polished Porcelain (Calcutta) 12x24 (Staggered/Brick Pattern), Through The Builder, It Really Does Look Like Marble, Maintenace Is Easy, No Sealing.

I Rec Polished Porcelain 12x24, In Staggered/Brick Pattern, It Would Look Gorgeous!
Old 2011-08-06, 11:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvi View Post
IMO, I Don't Like Granite, Don't Like The Look Of It. I Really Like Polished Porcelain, Looks Similiar To Marble. I Got Polished Porcelain (Calcutta) 12x24 (Staggered/Brick Pattern), Through The Builder, It Really Does Look Like Marble, Maintenace Is Easy, No Sealing.

I Rec Polished Porcelain 12x24, In Staggered/Brick Pattern, It Would Look Gorgeous!
Another recommendation on polished porcelain, love it!
Old 2011-08-07, 12:44 AM
Regular User

Another vote for Porcelain.
To me, there are only two places are still using granite floor, banks AND my grandma house.
Old 2011-11-14, 02:46 AM

Default ceramics

you can find information about ceramics in here:
קרמיקה
Old 2011-11-14, 10:32 AM
Regular User

i have porcelain tiles in my kitchen and its a huge pain for the back and feet. so i got one of those cushion kitchen mat things and it kind of help (put it at the sink) but you can't line every inch of the floor in length with the mats to save your back when you're cooking and cutting and chopping. it looks really nice but its too painful when standing for long periods of time.

i also have the same tile in my ensuite and the entrance of the home along with the powder room and everyone tells me it looks like marble and how nice it looks and its great for those areas because you're not standing on it for a long period of time.

Last edited by 22Girl_Excited; 2011-11-14 at 10:34 AM.
Old 2011-11-14, 11:14 AM
Regular User

+1 Porcelain

I think it's more practical.