Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-06-11, 12:49 PM
Regular User

Default ESA inspection for basement renovation

Planning to finish my basement. Wondering how to proceed with ESA inspection and how much it will cost? When do I need to apply for the ESA permit? Is it before commencing the work? Any experience/advice on ESA permit would be helpful?
P
Old 2012-06-11, 03:26 PM
Regular User

Need to call for the permit within 48 hours after starting the work.

Cost me about $150 to do my basement.

You'll have two inspections. One after everything is roughed-in (boxes installed, wires run) and another one once everything is done (drywall up, receptacles installed, breakers in)

Do clean work and do your research and the inspections will go easy. The yellow book at Home Depot explains all the nuances of the code. You can also get the number of the inspector for your area from the ESA if you have any specific questions. Mine was very helpful.
Old 2012-06-11, 04:42 PM
Regular User

Also, the esasafe site is great for doing a search and finding answers.

Old 2012-06-11, 05:10 PM
Regular User

will you be doing the work yourself ?
Old 2012-06-11, 10:04 PM
Regular User

I went with ESA on our previous home for a few reasons. The major one was piece of mind when we went to sell. Many people don't ask if the permits were pulled, but for the sake of $150 for a permit....nobody could say they were not prepared to pay for the 10k basement reno because they were concerned I had extension cor buried in the wall.
2. If you have a fire, and it comes back to faulty wiring with regards to something you have done, your insurance will do everything in their power to get out of paying your claim. Once its been inspected, the responsibility shifts to the ESA.
I requested my permit the day I started the electrical work...framing stage was complete. Was a pretty quick visual (10-15min max) inspection to make sure you weren't over loading the circuit, then the words 'ok, hang your drywall'.
They sent me a reminder notice every 2 months until final inspection was done when the dry wall was up.
For final inspection the inspector opened 1 switch, 2 plugs, and 2 pot lights at random. He said if there was any issues i would have to pull all plates and re-schedule. I was asked various questions and issued a sticker on the panel.
As I said earlier, for the $150 - $200, its well worth it.
Old 2012-06-11, 11:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
will you be doing the work yourself ?
I have two options. I am hiring some one to do parts of the basement. He is available to do the electrical but is not a licensed electrician. If I have time, I can do it as well (my engineering skills will be tested for sure).
Old 2012-06-12, 06:09 AM
Regular User

just a fyi - what you are proposing is illegal

only the owner or a licensed electrician can work on your wiring

if this became known they could go after and fine the other person

if you get an electrician, the standard practice is for them to pull the permit

if you are simply adding a couple of breakers for new plugs and lights, it is pretty easy to diy
Old 2012-06-12, 07:40 AM
Regular User

I would recommend that you get the required permits. I would never purchase a house with a finished basement that didn't have permits. Too much risk, both from a safety and economic point of view, IMO.
Old 2012-06-12, 09:41 AM
Regular User

I'll be quite honest I did not get the warm and fuzzy after my inspections, maybe the inspectors know the key things to look for but through all the inspections I went through both building and electrical, they pop their heads in smack their gum around, shine a flashlight, write a few notes and they are out.

I too would not purchase if the permits were not pulled for a major build like a basement finish. I can only imagine the crap that is likely behind the wall.

As for ESA, if doing yourself the individual who OWNS the home AND/OR who has a major interest in the home can do the electrical. So friends, inlaws, even siblings or parents cannot do the work unless they live there OR have a major interest in the home, ie. they financed the home or are on the mortgage, joint ownership.

As for doing it yourself, they quiz you, they ask you questions, be ready and study.

If your friend values his career whether he is qualified to the job or not he and/or the organization he works for could get in a lot of she-at. I got caught in this issue thankfully before any work was done, the rule was changed in 08 that also excluded work for family and friends, why because EVERYONE was a family or friend and the guys who paid the money to be licensed to do this work were losing out...supposedly.
Old 2012-06-12, 10:14 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F.D. View Post
I'll be quite honest I did not get the warm and fuzzy after my inspections, maybe the inspectors know the key things to look for but through all the inspections I went through both building and electrical, they pop their heads in smack their gum around, shine a flashlight, write a few notes and they are out.
Back when I finished the basement in my last home I got the required permits from the city and electrical. The guy came and did the electrical rough-in inspection and was there a total of maybe 3 minutes. Before finishing the basement we had our first child so the construction slowed down a lot. About a year later, and before actually finishing the work, I received a letter from the ESA. Inside was the signed paper for the final inspection. They never did actually come to my home. I guess what he saw at the rough-in was good enough for him????