Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2012-11-25, 11:11 AM
Regular User

Question Help with surround sound with an open concept living room

I have a living room with an open concept room. I've uploaded an image of the floorplan for my living room here: http://i50.tinypic.com/2cy5dvm.jpg. Sorry for the bad drawing...drawing isn't my forte . As you can see, my living room is "open" to two other rooms (kitchen and dining room). The red squares is where I was thinking of putting speakers but i'd be open to moving them if it means for a better set up. With that said, I have a few questions:

1) Seeing as I will never be sitting at a perfect distance from any of the speakers, is it worth having surround sound for this type of room?

2) What would the best speaker set up be for me?

3) I need wireless rear speakers to avoid having to run wires through the basement or the atic. Are there any decent systems that offer this? I'd love to stay around the 500$ range for both the speakers and receiver but I'm not sure if that is possible.

Thoughts?
Old 2012-11-25, 03:15 PM
Regular User

They have this speaker that goes right on top of the t.v very slim looking that gives surround sound and no need for any other speakers. I know they sell them at xs cargo, the brick and probably best buy and future shop. I think besides xs cargo the brick was cheapest.

Old 2012-11-25, 06:23 PM
Regular User

For surround to work, you need to be sitting in front of the TV, not at 90 degrees as pictured. And I believe the rear speakers are set too far back.
Old 2012-11-26, 01:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNNersoul View Post
3) I need wireless rear speakers to avoid having to run wires through the basement or the atic. Are there any decent systems that offer this? I'd love to stay around the 500$ range for both the speakers and receiver but I'm not sure if that is possible.

Thoughts?
If you want decent sound, the $500 range is not going to be enough. There are wireless out of the box systems from Sony and Panasonic (I think) but I've heard a lot of complaints about signal loss or the quality being poor. For your room size, a decent amplifier and subwoofer is needed for proper surround sound experience. Plus as mentioned above, if your couch is 90 degrees to the tv, it kind of defeats the purpose of having rear speakers because only your right ear will pickup up the rear speaker sound based on your setup. Hence its not surround sound anymore.
Surround sound is spectacular if done right so hopefully you can work something out. You don't need the best equipment to experience it but your layout needs to be good.
Old 2012-11-26, 02:15 PM
Regular User

For that lay out I would suggest a Sound bar that comes with a wireless sub, a double arm pullout bracket to hang the tv and pull it out on a 90 deg angle. Also get a sound bar bracket kit that allows you to suspend the sound bar from the tv at the bottom so that it moves with the tv when you pull it out.

Old 2012-11-26, 06:22 PM
Regular User

IMO,without wires everywhere,and in that price range,Bose Cinemate is great.Not true surround but a great full sound from whatever is connected to your tv.I have this as well as a JBL soundbar with wireless sub in different rooms.The sound bar is also very good and the wireless sub can be plugged anywhere up to 40' away.
Old 2012-11-26, 07:32 PM
Regular User

I realize my situation isn't ideal with the couch being on the side like that. I just don't have the room to put the couch in front..unfortunately. With that said, I was still hoping that I could get some better sound than just the tv speakers even though I may not able to get the "true" surround sound.

It looks like the soundbar option may be my best bet along with maybe this "Bose Cinemate". I would be willing to pay more if it was really worth it. I just don't want to pay thousands of dollars because I know these things tend to get pricy real quick. Other than maybe this "Bose Cinemate", are there any other good systems for a reasonable price?

For those that have wireless speakers/systems, have you personally experienced any signal loss or poor sound quality or any other issues?
Old 2012-11-27, 10:48 AM
Regular User

For surround sound just get ear bud headphones, and put it on max, cheapest solution haha
Old 2012-11-27, 04:29 PM
Regular User

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...0f03b31fe3en02

Would be best if you go to a store and see if the sound quality from this system meets your expectations. Seems like a decent buy and within $500.
Old 2012-11-27, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Like anything wireless, it's convenient, when it works.. but with wireless anything, you usually end up losing something along the way. And 'wireless' speakers still need to be wired to an amplifier, and that amplifier needs to be powered.

$500 for a surround sound setup is very very very low. You may be able to find some sort of home-theatre-in-a-box situation on special for that price, but please do not expect any sort of quality. But it should fit your criteria of better sound than the built in TV speakers.

Sound bars are also fine. We've done a few of them. And when set up in the right situations, they work well. Good ones can be had for around $1200. You will still need an AV Receiver.

Running wiring through an unfinished basement is very easy for those of us in the business.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/