Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-06-26, 09:20 PM
Regular User

Default Garage Door opener

I was talking to my friend and he was saying to check with Mattamy about voiding the warranty. He was saying that if the glass breaks or anything in general with the door it might not be covered. Has anybody heard of this
Old 2007-06-26, 09:45 PM
Regular User

It's the same with all builders. I've posted about this in the past. You install an opener and you void the garage door warranty. They want to scare you so that you pay 2x - 3x the price and buy through them. I wouldn't worry about it if you know what you're doing (ie: check door weight before installing it, does it open smoothly? ...)
Old 2007-06-26, 10:01 PM
Regular User

Yep. Dumb policy, but like mart said, it's a money grab.

Close on your house and spend the first few days with the manual door (you'll have to anyway, unless you book your installer or install it yourself immediately). During that time, make sure the door works properly. When you're satisfied there are no problems with the door (mine had its latch installed incorrectly, but they were over literally minutes after I got the keys to fix it), then have the opener installed, or do it yourself.

During my PDI they offered me a deal where for $350 I could have a 1/2 hp belt drive installed by the door contracting company. This would allow me to maintain the warranty on the door. Interesting, since the design catalog also offered a garage door opener option... for about $600. But by then I had already purchased my Sears opener, so I passed on that.
Old 2007-06-26, 10:16 PM
Regular User

Question: How long is the garage door warranty with the builder good for ? If it falls within the standard 1-year term then I don't mind not installing a garage door opener after that said period has passed

I understand the mentality of having it done NOW but obviously once the warranty period has passed, any talk of voiding the warranty is a moot point. I am sure garage door/garage door opener won't be the only thing on my mind when I first move in.
Old 2007-06-26, 10:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
I understand the mentality of having it done NOW but obviously once the warranty period has passed, any talk of voiding the warranty is a moot point. I am sure garage door/garage door opener won't be the only thing on my mind when I first move in.
Unless your wife keeps complaining that the double door is too heavy..
Old 2007-06-26, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
mine had its latch installed incorrectly, but they were over literally minutes after I got the keys to fix it

The latch is the first thing I remove when I start an opener.

Things to look for regarding your door:

1) Is your door balanced? The easiest way to check this is, open your door half way and leave it. If it stays in place, then its balance should be fine. If not, then it may require some maintenance. If this is a new house, notify your builder.

2) Does the door open and close all the way without any sticking? If not, then some maintenance may be required in order to get it to move smoothly. If the door does not move smoothly then the opener will have problems moving the door. If this is a new house, notify your builder.

3) Does the door close completely? When it's closed, is there a gap between the door and the floor that exceeds 6mm? If so, then the door will have to be adjusted otherwise the safety reverse system will not work properly when the door is obstructed. If this is a new house, contact your builder.

I've been to houses where these things have been problems and told the homeowner to call the builder to fix it and I'll come back to install the opener.

Just follow the directions in the manual, and if you run into problems, feel free to ask me for help
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-06-27, 08:05 AM
Regular User

I don't think you should worry about voiding your garage door warranty. I have never heard of someone having to make a claim against their builder for that. I am sure if something did go wrong with say the track or whatever the case may be that would have been caused by normal opening and closing manually, they'll fix it. As I said, I don't think you should worry about waiting a year. I moved into our house in March, going to install mine in the fall. We park our car in the driveway during the summer anyways so its no big deal.
Old 2007-06-27, 09:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
I guess that depends on the weather and your lifestyle (and sometimes the style of house). My house has essentially no driveway so the garage door is being openend and closed constantly. After the first weekend of getting out of the car and heaving the door up and down (and locking it) I quickly decided to have the door opener installed sooner than later.
Old 2007-06-27, 01:47 PM
Regular User

GreyingJay, were you watering your front lawn around 6:30pm yesterday?
If so we drive by your place while scoping out Helm/Rosehill again. Two new moving trucks in there yesterday.

CB
Old 2007-06-27, 02:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBoo View Post
GreyingJay, were you watering your front lawn around 6:30pm yesterday?
If so we drive by your place while scoping out Helm/Rosehill again. Two new moving trucks in there yesterday.

CB
6:30pm... nope, not me I did water it later in the evening, but it was getting dark by then.

Yeah, lots of moving trucks these days.