Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-11-04, 06:55 AM
Regular User

Smile Picking out the finishings. New home with Minto ( stage 6 )

I purchased a townhome and we have already finialized the finishings back in September. There are few things I was not sure of at the time of choosing the finishings and I kept wondering if I wanted to go back and change my choice for a few things would there be a charge for it? I remember then stamping no changes on the papers. My house wonít be till next June so Iím hoping I can get few things changed.
Also had a question of the door handles. We picked out black ones and does that mean in the bathroom the bar for towels and toilet paper would be black also? I donít remember the lady asking me what I would like for those.

Thank you for reading
😊
Old 2018-11-04, 09:43 AM
Regular User

We've built with Mattamy and Tartan, and both have meant 'no changes' when they say it. Neither would even entertain the idea of making changes after we signed.

I would recommend double-checking with Minto about your standard bathroom fixtures but I would imagine they will be the typical chrome ones in most new-builds. You might still be able to request specific locations on the wall, though, if you don't want to be surprised about where the contractor chooses to place them.
Old 2018-11-05, 12:19 PM
Regular User

Honestly, never hurts to ask. It depends on closing, but sometimes they haven't ordered things yet. If its common things, they likely have stock of it, or can ask their supplier to change the order, but they may pass on any added costs to you.

Try to avoid it - they can use it as justification for delaying closing - but it MAY be possible.
Old 2019-01-03, 10:49 AM
Regular User

i believe there is a fee of 50% of the cost of the item you are changing. but i am not sure if that means you can add stuff, i think it means you can only remove, but have to pay that amount to do so.
Old 2019-01-08, 01:55 PM
Regular User

Door handles black means only interior doors (handles, hinges, door stops), and nothing else. I was told (in an email) that the exterior doors would also have black handles, and after fighting them on it for forever, I ended up getting the exterio door interior handles and locks replaced but had to do the exterior myself. They also installed deadbolt locks from a different set than what was sold to me. Exterior/garage door hinges were left metal. Make sure they're black. Minto likes to install brushed bronze and try to convince you its black. Trust me, the headache lasted a year.

The design center staff never brought up certain options. When I found out there were available upgrades possible and contacted the office, I had to go up the chain and more up the chain to be allowed to make an additional change (nothing major), without penalty, but with additional cost. Its a pretty firm NO.

Last edited by hjuandok; 2019-01-08 at 02:00 PM.
Old 2019-01-08, 02:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjuandok View Post
Door handles black means only interior doors (handles, hinges, door stops), and nothing else. I was told (in an email) that the exterior doors would also have black handles, and after fighting them on it for forever, I ended up getting the exterio door interior handles and locks replaced but had to do the exterior myself. They also installed deadbolt locks from a different set than what was sold to me. Exterior/garage door hinges were left metal. Make sure they're black. Minto likes to install brushed bronze and try to convince you its black. Trust me, the headache lasted a year.

The design center staff never brought up certain options. When I found out there were available upgrades possible and contacted the office, I had to go up the chain and more up the chain to be allowed to make an additional change (nothing major), without penalty, but with additional cost. Its a pretty firm NO.
I can second this. I, and many others i spoke to in our development, felt that the design centre did not provide us with informaiton on all of the option available to us..

Here are some good ones that you may not be told about:

- if you are doing a chimney hood fan, you need to pay (in our case at least) to have your backsplash extended up to the ceiling behind your fan. Otherwise, it will stop where the fan starts and the rest will be bare wall

- custom cabinetry. there is alot you can do other than pots and pans. you can do a wine cabinet (like the X shaped slots). spice drawers, etc. we were not told about the wine cabinet option until we asked after seeing it in a model home.

- extra insulation in the garage. only garage walls that have the interior of the house on the other side are insulated. we insulated the exterior garage wall as an upgrade.

- dish soap pump to be installed into your quartz or granite. if you dont do it, you have to drill into your stone surface later on.

- removing mantle if you tile or stone your fireplace. you have to tell them. we assumed theyd just do it since we tiled it but nope...

- standard sink faucets come with the regular holes. if you want to install 8 inch widespread faucets later you cant unless you drill into it yourself.

- getting the exterior main door deadbolt and handle in black is an upgrade. we did it, and it is separate from the interior black door handles you upgraded.

something we regret NOT doing:
- frosting on the front door and side lights glass. we figured wed buy the stick on stuff after... well the stick on stuff is EXPENSIVE, and isnt cut to the exact shape. its a pain now to do it.

Last edited by reens09; 2019-01-08 at 03:01 PM.
Old 2019-01-08, 07:09 PM
Regular User

What does the standard washroom towel and toilet paper holder look like? They didnít ask us if we wanted that upgraded. Is there even a upgrade for that?

They told us they donít do the ceramic shelve in the shower anymore. Isnít that so sad
Old 2019-01-09, 09:00 AM
Regular User

with our builder, we had deleted the following:

- mantle over fireplace, surrounding tile and tile on floor. we did our own brick work after we took possession and it was 1/4 of the price compared to builder (9 ft ceilings)
- deleted the lighting in all the bathroom. this is good they installed a proper box (metal) and cheapo light receptacle. we installed the lighting features we wanted. otherwise you have a cheapo light bar and only an electrical wire going to the light bar. they don't install metal box behind the drywall.
- deleted all bathroom mirrors and also towel/paper holders and installed the ones we wanted.
Old 2019-01-09, 10:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reens09 View Post
something we regret NOT doing:
- frosting on the front door and side lights glass. we figured wed buy the stick on stuff after... well the stick on stuff is EXPENSIVE, and isnt cut to the exact shape. its a pain now to do it.
I'm not sure what product you want to use but I have done the frosting on every window in two houses, and I've fooled even the window guys with my DIY job. So it doesn't have to be expensive and it can look nice.

This is what I put on the windows around our front door. ....I'm picky and couldn't find a design I liked in Canada so I imported it. Gila Waterfall window film

I used the Gila 3-in-1 from Home Depot for all the other windows in the house.
Old 2019-01-10, 08:01 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
I'm not sure what product you want to use but I have done the frosting on every window in two houses, and I've fooled even the window guys with my DIY job. So it doesn't have to be expensive and it can look nice.

This is what I put on the windows around our front door. ....I'm picky and couldn't find a design I liked in Canada so I imported it. Gila Waterfall window film

I used the Gila 3-in-1 from Home Depot for all the other windows in the house.
Thank you ill check that brand out! Felt very frustrated by what i saw, as our sidelights are full 9 foot length and i couldnt find rolls that long so when you buy several it adds up fast..