Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-12-17, 07:13 AM

Can someone please recommend a New Home Inspector in GTA?
Old 2018-12-17, 07:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie2121 View Post
Can someone please recommend a New Home Inspector in GTA?
You're in the Ottawa forum. You should check out the GTA forum.
Old 2018-12-28, 10:37 AM
Regular User

A few weeks ago when we got mild weather and rain, I noticed a leak in my garage (photo attached). Now that the temperature is colder the area is covered in frost. I'm also noticing that all of the exterior facing foundation walls in the garage and wet to the touch (photo attached). A have a few questions:

1. What could be causing the leak based on its location? Poorly installed started strip flashing?

2. Is frost build up bad for the foundation - can it damage or weaken it?

3. Is it normal for all of the foundations walls in the garage to be wet to the touch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181221_084537.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	14558   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_091252.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	14559   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_091317.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	14560  
Old 2019-01-05, 09:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatFlemming View Post
A few weeks ago when we got mild weather and rain, I noticed a leak in my garage (photo attached). Now that the temperature is colder the area is covered in frost. I'm also noticing that all of the exterior facing foundation walls in the garage and wet to the touch (photo attached). A have a few questions:

1. What could be causing the leak based on its location? Poorly installed started strip flashing?
For an outside garage wall with no rooms above the ceiling, the most likely cause is a leak past the cladding. If there is a room above the affected areas, then its possible the condition is due to missing insulation or air leakage from the interior spaces.

Quote:
2. Is frost build up bad for the foundation - can it damage or weaken it?
No

Quote:
3. Is it normal for all of the foundations walls in the garage to be wet to the touch?
This does not appear to be a normal condition.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca
Old 2019-01-07, 12:43 PM
Regular User

Default Hot Water Mixing Valve

Hi - our hot water has been intermittent in temperature for a few weeks so we contacted EnerCare who 'own' our hot water tank. They tell us that the hot water tank is fine but the mixing valve is faulty and this is not covered by EnerCare and is a plumbing issue.

After some research on this topic on my neighbourhood forum some people have said these mixing valves are notorious for failing, usually only lasting 5 year (ours is 6yrs) with a minimum cost of $300 for each repair. In these discussions a lot of people have chosen to bypass the mixer and I am wondering what the implications of this would be (e.g. scalding water if a toilet is flushed while someone is in the shower?) and if this would be a code violation should we end up selling the house?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 2019-01-08, 11:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckth View Post
Hi - our hot water has been intermittent in temperature for a few weeks so we contacted EnerCare who 'own' our hot water tank. They tell us that the hot water tank is fine but the mixing valve is faulty and this is not covered by EnerCare and is a plumbing issue.

After some research on this topic on my neighbourhood forum some people have said these mixing valves are notorious for failing, usually only lasting 5 year (ours is 6yrs) with a minimum cost of $300 for each repair. In these discussions a lot of people have chosen to bypass the mixer and I am wondering what the implications of this would be (e.g. scalding water if a toilet is flushed while someone is in the shower?) and if this would be a code violation should we end up selling the house?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
The valve that protects people in the shower from being scalded is actually part of the shower (in the wall behind your shower knobb) so that would not be affected. The main issue is if you then turn the water temperature too high at the water heater then someone, especially kids, could potentially burn themselves at the sink if they turn the water too hot. I would assume that you would have to put the mixing valve back before selling. I also don't know what your liability would be if someone were to burn themselves at your home if you knowingly bypass it.
Old 2019-01-08, 12:55 PM
Regular User

I just created a Mixing Valve Problem Thread here:

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...261#post335261
Old 2019-01-11, 10:01 PM
Regular User

During a resale inspection, when I encounter a hot water heater installation without a mixing valve, I identify this as a defect. This is a safety device required by the building code to prevent scald injuries. I would never recommend bypassing this valve.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca
Old 2019-01-14, 12:34 PM
Regular User

Off topic, but I wanted to quickly say that we used Phil for our 30 day inspection and were very happy with him and his services. We intend to hire him again for our 1 year inspection and would definitely recommend him to friends.

Thank you Phil!
Old Today, 11:47 AM
Regular User

When walking barefoot, I always noticed that there one area on my hardwood flooring that was noticeable cold to the touch. Sure enough, I grabbed the thermal camera the results confirmed my suspicion. The area in question is about 4-5C cold than the rest of the floor.

The area in question is right outside of a bedroom doorway. Itís a bungalow and the floor beneath this area is the basement.

I can rule out water leaking because no water lines are running in this area. There is HVAC ductwork, however, and the HRV is almost directly under the affected area. Itís really cold outside when I took the thermal reading, so Iím thinking potential air leaking from the incoming air for the HRV?

Any input before I start pulling drywall?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190117_073804.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	14598