Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-07-27, 03:30 PM
Regular User

Question Potential draft in front bedrooms?

It could just be me watching one too many Holmes on Homes or Holmes Inspection episodes, but I recently started having concerns about potential drafts of air coming from the garage (and the garage roof).

To give a little context, we bought a Tamarack Bristol and our master bedroom is adjacent/above the garage. If anyone who has the Bristol or a similar Tamarack build who have lived through one more multiple winters can comment on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

My concerns would be that the front bedrooms (especially the one adjacent to the garage) would be significantly colder than other rooms in the house in the winter.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2010-07-27, 04:48 PM
Regular User

A front room above a garage will naturally be cooler than the other rooms since it is above an unheated space. Another consideration is if the rooms are North facing.

I implemented a very simple solution and has proved effective.
Typically, builders will install a cold air return near the ceiling on any 2nd floor home. In the colder months, it is actually better to have a cold air return near the floor in order to draw the cold air off the floor. In the winter, your cold air return near the ceiling is only removing the warm air from the room.

In order to improve air flow and temperature, you will need to create a second opening into the cold air return. This opening should be just above the baseboard. In the summer, cover the opening near the floor so the opening at the top draws all the warm air out. In the colder months, cover up the opening at the top so that the lower opening is drawing the cold air from the floor.

Of course, before doing this, make sure there are no other building deficiencies, such as loose ductwork, openings etc.

This fix should not take any longer than 1 hour to complete.
Old 2010-07-27, 05:58 PM
Regular User

I'm assuming you've already tried all this but i'll mention this anyway ...

- is there sufficient insulation between the garage ceiling and bedroom floor
- are all the vents in the bedroom open (check dampers)
- some rooms will have ductwork that has taken one too many turns and as a result you won't get as much warm air coming through (similar concept to some faucets / taps having less water pressure)
- check for drafty windows
- keep window panes covered ... curtains or blinds

thats all I can think of
Old 2010-07-27, 10:36 PM
Regular User

we have an amberley which is a similar design with the master over the garage. We noticed that our bedroom is a little cooler than the others in the winter. While not ideal, the fact that it is over an unheated room (the garage) makes sense and it also has a much bigger window than the other bedrooms. Ultimately I will have the garage ceiling spray foamed which should fix the problem.
Old 2010-07-28, 01:05 AM
Regular User

If the temp difference is significant enough your builder should fix it. I have the same issue with rooms over the garage and had the builder check the temp between those rooms and rooms elsewhere on the 2nd floor and the temp difference was large enough that they have to fix it. Not sure what they will do but the first step is to confirm adequate insulation.
Old 2010-07-28, 09:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alymg View Post
If the temp difference is significant enough your builder should fix it. I have the same issue with rooms over the garage and had the builder check the temp between those rooms and rooms elsewhere on the 2nd floor and the temp difference was large enough that they have to fix it. Not sure what they will do but the first step is to confirm adequate insulation.
For us, we have different situation. The room above the garage is warmer than other rooms. I noiticed during construction process that there was 3 feet empty gap between garage celing and the bedroom flooring above it. Also, there was two duct pipes going to that area. I found later that this is to heat that area and make sure that the bedroom above the garage is not cold. One of the pipes is for heat and the other for cold return.
Old 2019-01-11, 11:37 PM

Hey I have the same issue but itís the smaller room beside the master and itís above the porch. Was wondering what happened, did u fix it? Our house is Bristol model too.