Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-02-05, 12:40 PM
Regular User

You'll have pot lights in the basement, every Urbandale home with a finished basement for the last 10 years has come with them standard.
Old 2018-02-06, 08:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgyh1 View Post
I am pretty sure that potlights are not included as standard in the basement. It is unfortunate, but since they are included in the kitchen and lower halls and ensuite, that saves up some money to put them in the basement.

I can't confirm but I am sure that hardwood floors are not standard in the kitchen. the model floor plan shows tiles in the kitchen and it is mentioned in the agreement as well. I will be asking for a price quote for hardwood in the kitchen because I think it would look much nicer especially since the kitchen is open to the dining area and living room.

I am planning to drop by the design centre in the coming weeks to see the standard selection of hardwood colors. Were there any that caught your attention? I am hoping they would have something dark brown/grey similar to what they currently have in the Champlain model home in Riverside South.
That would be nice to have the hardwood in the kitchen for sure! We'll definitely look into that as well. Yea we weren't crazy about the 3 standard hardwoods. The darker option had kind of a red tint to it. There was one we really liked called stone. It was kind of a grey/charcoal looking. She said it would likely only be $500-$600 to upgrade to that one.

She said as long as you stick with Oak, it won't be crazy $$$ to upgrade. We were really impressed with the standard tile selection. Lots of different sizes and options. Even the kind with the wood grain in it thats really popular right now.
Old 2018-02-06, 08:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz lightbeer View Post
I feel like they may have made a few changes to the features page since we bought but we definitely have potlights standard in the basement. I suppose it could be possible that it’s changed because hardwood in the kitchen used to be included as well. Hopefully it’s just a case of it not being listed..
Yea hopefully! That is good to know though. Thank you!
Old 2018-02-06, 09:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord View Post
That would be nice to have the hardwood in the kitchen for sure! We'll definitely look into that as well. Yea we weren't crazy about the 3 standard hardwoods. The darker option had kind of a red tint to it. There was one we really liked called stone. It was kind of a grey/charcoal looking. She said it would likely only be $500-$600 to upgrade to that one.

She said as long as you stick with Oak, it won't be crazy $$$ to upgrade. We were really impressed with the standard tile selection. Lots of different sizes and options. Even the kind with the wood grain in it thats really popular right now.
We went with the package B hardwood called Smoky Grey in oak. None of the standard hardwoods really did anything for us but we definitely had options that appealed to us at the first upgrade level. We also were impressed with the tiles, we found some great standard 12x24 tiles that closely resembled some of the higher package options.
Old 2018-02-10, 10:07 PM
Regular User

Is anyone thinking or has decided to upgrade and add the bathroom in the basement? The sales centre has a standard estimate of $6500, although I will double check and ask for an official estimate as part of my structural changes.

If anyone has done it post-construction, an ideas of estimates would be much appreciated.
Old 2018-02-12, 12:48 PM

Hi Everyone!

My fiance and I have purchased a Calypso Interior Unit in Bradley Commons and we are very excited to have found other future Calypso owners!

We love the Calypso model and feel like we are getting a steal. Especially when we were comparing it against similar options like the Addison model by Richcraft (which is essentially the same layout as the Calypso), the Calypso was over 15k cheaper and has much better standards. (AC, Quartz, Hardwood, etc..).

We would love to hear what design Centre options you are all considering for your hardwood, kitchen Cabinets/Countertops and other options. We feel so overwhelmed with all the design options and would love to hear what others are choosing!

We are planning on removing the laundry room upstairs and turning that whole area into a large walk in closet.
Also planning on expanding the size of the master shower.

It will be awesome once others start sharing progress photos and we are looking forward to seeing models currently being built in Bradley Commons.

Nice to connect with you all!
Old 2018-02-13, 10:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgyh1 View Post
Is anyone thinking or has decided to upgrade and add the bathroom in the basement? The sales centre has a standard estimate of $6500, although I will double check and ask for an official estimate as part of my structural changes.

If anyone has done it post-construction, an ideas of estimates would be much appreciated.
We are considering getting our contractor to put in a full bathroom in the basement shortly after closing. I suspect the $6,500 would be on the high end just like anything you have done through the builder. We had a powder room added to our home this past summer for around $5,000 all in. We supplied the material (floating Ikea vanity and Costco tile and toilet). Allot of the cost was having to break the floor and tie into existing plumbing and drainage. With everything already roughed in, I would imagine you could have someone put a full bathroom in for much much less than $6,500. Although, we don't know what finishes are included in that estimate.

Anyway, putting in the bathroom in the basement makes allot of sense in my opinion since allot of the work is already done. It's also a great value add when the time comes to sell.
Old 2018-02-14, 08:13 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord View Post
We are considering getting our contractor to put in a full bathroom in the basement shortly after closing. I suspect the $6,500 would be on the high end just like anything you have done through the builder. We had a powder room added to our home this past summer for around $5,000 all in. We supplied the material (floating Ikea vanity and Costco tile and toilet). Allot of the cost was having to break the floor and tie into existing plumbing and drainage. With everything already roughed in, I would imagine you could have someone put a full bathroom in for much much less than $6,500. Although, we don't know what finishes are included in that estimate.

Anyway, putting in the bathroom in the basement makes allot of sense in my opinion since allot of the work is already done. It's also a great value add when the time comes to sell.
You'll still probably have to break the floor as they tend to put the rough in, in unusable spots.
Old 2018-02-14, 09:55 AM

We were quoted the same estimate of $6500 at first but then I think the bathroom became $6000, but we still haven't signed our structural so that might change when we get final official pricing. We didn't want a tub in basement but that would only reduce price by about $500 (again estimated) so we decided to keep the tub. The very reason I wanted it done from the builder was because of the rough in location...I am thinking if the house will be built with a bathroom in basement then the rough in location will be chosen more carefully, if not it is included in the $6000 for them to realign the rough in.

we have to sign off on our final structural very soon and I am hoping we haven't missed anything.
Old 2018-02-14, 10:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swales View Post
You'll still probably have to break the floor as they tend to put the rough in, in unusable spots.
In some cases yes, in others no. Ours was in a usable and logical spot so I didn't need to break up the floor when I finished our basement this past summer.