Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-02-28, 11:50 AM
Regular User

Default Enercare Water Heater Rental Scam, DON'T SIGN ANYTHING!

Hi all,

There is a lot of discussion about this so I just wanted to see how everyone is getting along resolving this issue. On our end We had it removed in January 2017 and installed an 80 gallon Tank. Advised Enercare that it's waiting for them. I got into a bit of an argument with the rep but ended the call saying you know where we live, here it is waiting for you. Needless to say, they haven't picked it up yet and have sent us a letter to inform us that they are charging us for the past due rental amount...... so I sent them a letter through Registered mail. No signature, no offer and acceptance = no binding agreement.
Old 2018-02-28, 01:35 PM
Regular User

I’m in the same situation with Cricket comfort, I asked them to come remove tankless heater and no answer so far. They emailed me saying that contract is in place since it was accepted with the purchase agreement from the builder. Is this even true?
Old 2018-02-28, 01:38 PM
Regular User

I read the posts too, but i'm not sure exactly which part is the scam? I called enercare to find out how to get rid of it to install what I want and they said I can't - i'm locked in. I asked how long the term is, and they couldn't answer that. Its up to them, until they decide they no longer want/can service it. I contacted my real estate lawyer (who's been pretty useless all along), but he said its part of the purchase agreement/contract. Builder made some choices, installed them and passed them on to me.

I haven't received any bills... I haven't been contacted, and I have no idea whats going on with it. I'd like it gone and install my own unit. Is there nothing in any of the contracts obligating us to keep renting it? Are there any consumer protections in place?
Old 2018-02-28, 02:52 PM
Regular User

It's all in the rental agreement. Download it and download the buyout chart and make an informed decision.. Buying out the tank is the most economical and hassle free option. Especially if you planning to use the same size tank..
Old 2018-02-28, 03:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsh View Post
Iím in the same situation with Cricket comfort, I asked them to come remove tankless heater and no answer so far. They emailed me saying that contract is in place since it was accepted with the purchase agreement from the builder. Is this even true?
It should be in your APS. Mine says:

Quote:
It is agreed that the hot water system(tankless) is leased and not included in the Tax Included Selling Price. The purchaser agrees to assume the lease payments for the system from the date of the completion of the transaction.
That's so vague though so I don't know how it can be used against us? I haven't closed yet, so I don't know if there are more signings that will clarify this.
Old 2018-02-28, 03:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
It's all in the rental agreement. Download it and download the buyout chart and make an informed decision.. Buying out the tank is the most economical and hassle free option. Especially if you planning to use the same size tank..
my buyout is $2500 after 8 years of payments, not very economical.
Old 2018-02-28, 04:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva86 View Post
It should be in your APS. Mine says:

That's so vague though so I don't know how it can be used against us? I haven't closed yet, so I don't know if there are more signings that will clarify this.
Well that's the point. It's extremely vague. The sales agreement doesn't even state the name of the rental company or the monthly cost(s) nor does it state the buyout price. If I have to go to their website to get this info then in my eyes I don't have an agreement with them.

Think of it this way. You're buying a car form the dealership. You've signed on the dotted line, been approved for financing and once all is said and done, the lender contacts you to tell you what your monthly fees are. That's not an agreement, that's fraud and no one would agree to this. If you've made any type of payment to them then yeah, you're a bit stuck but if not then there is no agreement.
Old 2018-02-28, 06:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonMacpherson View Post
my buyout is $2500 after 8 years of payments, not very economical.
Depends on what model tank you have.. Some install for a1500$ some for $4500 depending on the type of system..

Keep in mind that buyout is the complete installation. Not just the price of the tank..
Old 2018-02-28, 06:18 PM
Regular User

For instance the Enercare buyout chart linked here.. You have to look at actual models and features to determine what the value is of a tank

2018 Buyout Table.xlsx - Enercare
PDFhttps://www.enercare.ca › library › pdfs
Old 2018-02-28, 06:18 PM
Regular User

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...jZQJRv7NH7IDm7