Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-03-01, 09:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
You have to ask yourself what's the cost (in terms of $ spent, your time and energy/stress) to proceed through these channels AND have another tank professionally installed (cause you still need hot water, correct?) vs just renting the thing and be assured that your system is already professionally installed, ready on occupancy and is covered should anything break down.

Folks - make sure your <---(you're) making an apples to apples comparison before you start ripping out parts of your house..
I didn't want to be locked in paying $48+ per month with Cricket for their "high efficiency" tank. I thought 50 bucks per month was outrageous and called another provider to put their rental tank in for $24/month. In terms of cost, it didn't cost me a penny because they sent their professional installers to remove and reinstall another tank.
Old 2018-03-01, 09:32 PM
Regular User

So you downgraded tank specs? . And got a lower rental rate..

Surprised your original rental provider didn't offer you a downgrade to keep you. When I worked at Direct Energy I down graded people who wanted lower rent. (removed high efficiency tank advised it can effect the energy Star rating of there home and installed cheaper lower efficiency tank) .

Don't mistaken what I say as your make a bad decision to downgrade. Fact is gas is so cheap the drop in rental rate out weights the extra operating costs with dropping efficiency.. Your ahead of the game in most cases. With a power vent tank at 25$/month
Old 2018-03-01, 11:30 PM
Regular User

Honestly, I didn't ask the original provider for a downgrade plus I didn't like the 10 year term Cricket was imposing.

Switched to Enercare, no long term contract - month to month, and they gave me a 200 buck prepaid Mastercard. Took the family out to The Keg!
Old 2018-03-01, 11:48 PM
Regular User

Thats good to hear... I always suggested to down grade vs loosing a customer. As service techs we realised at times the builders choice of tank was not right for all home owners.

Some where requesting 50/60$ high eff tanks in a small townhouse to meet certain energy star ratings for the home... The end result was tanks that where overkill and over priced..

The unfortunate thing about high eff tanks is that its so rare that builders atually tap into the potential of these tanks by offering radiant heated floors in tiled areas and basement floors. OF how about the rooms above the garage??? Even custom home builders choose these tanks and rarely use them to full potential.
Old 2018-03-02, 10:59 AM
Regular User

Anyone who has an issue with the rental costs for the hot water tank should take this up with the builder. Not Enercare or Cricket.

Most of you are forgetting that the builder owns the home before it becomes yours on possession day. They made the decision to contract out to one of these companies to install the proper venting etc. and provide THEM (not you) with a water heater that they would pay rent on. The BUILDER is getting you to take on those rental costs. They are telling you before you purchase that they are doing this and you are agreeing by signing. If you have a problem with this and truly believe you are being "scammed" then you should be angry with your builder. Enercare is just doing what they and the homeowner, at the time, agreed to.

It would be interesting to see how many people would choose to rent the tank vs purchase if they came up with a pricing structure based on two different scenarios. ie. You can buy the house for $450,000 with a rental water heater or you can pay $460,000 and own the tank on possession. The house must have hot water at the time of possession so there is no way to get your own installed. I can only imagine the posts then.
Old 2018-03-02, 01:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Orleans View Post
Anyone who has an issue with the rental costs for the hot water tank should take this up with the builder. Not Enercare or Cricket.

Most of you are forgetting that the builder owns the home before it becomes yours on possession day. They made the decision to contract out to one of these companies to install the proper venting etc. and provide THEM (not you) with a water heater that they would pay rent on. The BUILDER is getting you to take on those rental costs. They are telling you before you purchase that they are doing this and you are agreeing by signing. If you have a problem with this and truly believe you are being "scammed" then you should be angry with your builder. Enercare is just doing what they and the homeowner, at the time, agreed to.

It would be interesting to see how many people would choose to rent the tank vs purchase if they came up with a pricing structure based on two different scenarios. ie. You can buy the house for $450,000 with a rental water heater or you can pay $460,000 and own the tank on possession. The house must have hot water at the time of possession so there is no way to get your own installed. I can only imagine the posts then.

I don't know if you're actually from New Orleans but here in Canada namely in Ontario, the builder will just say, "OK, then we will sell the house to another buyer. thank you." They don't care and will clearly move on.

Last edited by pabloottawa; 2018-07-21 at 07:37 AM.
Old 2018-03-02, 05:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloottawa View Post
I don't know if you're actually form New Orleans but here in Canada namely in Ontario, the builder will just say, "OK, then we will sell the house to another buyer. thank you." They don't care and will clearly move on.
What's wrong with that? Purchasers and businesses decide to not enter into contracts 1000's of times every day.

If adding 2 or 3% to the cost of the house and owning the water heater at the time of possession was a real sticking point then builders would have to do that in order to sell homes. Apparently it's not that big of an issue to most. Definitely not a scam. You were made aware of the agreement between the builder and the rental company before signing anything. That much is certain.
Old 2018-03-02, 05:15 PM
Regular User

What I would like to see is for the Builder to provide some options for homeowners at time of purchase. Provide us with the option to buy or rent and between a traditional tank or tankless. Include it as an upgrade like appliances, fireplace, air conditioning, etc..
Old 2018-03-02, 05:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
What's wrong with that? Purchasers and businesses decide to not enter into contracts 1000's of times every day.

If adding 2 or 3% to the cost of the house and owning the water heater at the time of possession was a real sticking point then builders would have to do that in order to sell homes. Apparently it's not that big of an issue to most. Definitely not a scam. You were made aware of the agreement between the builder and the rental company before signing anything. That much is certain.
I’m not trying to be rude, but this still confusing to homeowners. Yes we were made aware that there will be rental fee without disclosing THAT fee, without disclosing the company name and without disclosing the buyout amount. So how do you expect homeowners to react when they get slammed with $40-48 / month extra? I myself on budget and this will certainly be an inconvenience.
That being said, I have been in contact with Cricket and Enercare and they’re even bargain with me, to keep the tank and sign the rental agreement! Believe it or not I believe this to be a scam. If the rental was solid price based on real numbers then there will be no room for negotiation
Old 2018-03-02, 08:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:

Why would we take this up with the builder? The builder chooses a high efficiency tank which happens to cost $48/month because that is what is required for their homes to meet the Energy Star Certification from the Fed Gov't. The builder receives some incentives for this or they wouldn't do it. I as the purchaser do not have the power to get my builder to install a less expensive, less efficient tank so why am I going to waste my time and energy "taking it up" with the builder. I still want the house and couldn't care less about the energy star certification so I choose to deal with the matter after possession, meaning having the tank removed in favor of a less expensive one.

I'm not calling it a scam. I'm going into this with my eyes wide open. I call it consumer choice. I don't want to be locked into one company for 10 years. I want to choose.

PS. These long term locked-in contracts are relatively new. It was not like this with new builds in the past.

Last edited by Mark & Lynda; 2018-03-02 at 08:19 PM.