Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-01-02, 04:18 PM
Regular User

we are in a minto home, although a single it is a smaller single 2100 sq ft, and for me potlights was a very good decision. makes the rooms look neater and clean lines. also recommend going with a light coloured kitchen like white cabinets. dark is beautiful but will close the space in. light coloured paint is a good idea too, dark accent walls will shrink those walls so choose them carefully if you do any. i would also add any optional windows that minto offers.

if you can afford to raise your ceilings that will also give the illusion of space, but it was very expensive and we chose not to. (10k per floor).

An "open to basement" will also open up the space, as will a glass shower in your ensuite.

hope that helps i provided some prices for our house in the minto mahogany thread if that helps give you an approx. idea of costs.

Oh also, if a railing is an option vs a half wall on your staircase i would defn do that.
Old 2019-01-03, 09:40 AM

Thanks Reens! Much appreciated for the tips.

We are definitely thinking of adding more pot lights, especially on the main floor. The Haven has a few options "ceiling dťcor A and B", we wonder if these are different predesign potlight setups.

What do you think of going with a dark hardwood? I know that light is the way to go to make the house look bigger, but I must admit I am not a fan of those yellow-ish hardwood. We are leaning towards a dark brown/slate hardwood but keeping the walls grey/veil. And definitely white cabinets/kitchen for me.

Also, do you think I should keep it light/white in the foyer tiles, or make it a similar shade to the hardwood so that the house looks "longer"

Last edited by sayyoucandance99; 2019-01-03 at 09:55 AM.
Old 2019-01-03, 10:55 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyoucandance99 View Post
Thanks Reens! Much appreciated for the tips.

We are definitely thinking of adding more pot lights, especially on the main floor. The Haven has a few options "ceiling dťcor A and B", we wonder if these are different predesign potlight setups.

What do you think of going with a dark hardwood? I know that light is the way to go to make the house look bigger, but I must admit I am not a fan of those yellow-ish hardwood. We are leaning towards a dark brown/slate hardwood but keeping the walls grey/veil. And definitely white cabinets/kitchen for me.

Also, do you think I should keep it light/white in the foyer tiles, or make it a similar shade to the hardwood so that the house looks "longer"
Personally, we did a medium dark brown, with light grey walls, white cabinets but grey counters. and our foyer tiles are light beigeish in the foyer and light grey in the mudroom. I personally like lighter tiles but id pick light grey over white because white will show every dirty mark and that would drive me crazy. Lol And its nice to have contrast between your cabinets and floors. Too much light coloured decor and it will all blend together and not stand out.

Not sure what youe ceiling decor options are but we had the option to do a decorative ceiling which would have essentially looked like a bulk head border around the living room, if that makes sense? Like a square border that you see in some model homes. We didnt do it because that "border" would be lower than the ceiling, taking away from the 9 ft height. We chose to do crown moulding instead, and it was also a lot cheaper. I find those decorative ceilings look great in large living rooms but shrink smaller ones.

If minto offers you a bigger patio door, i highly recommend it. We did a triple patio door and i think it was one of the best upgrades we chose. Wasnt very expensive either.

Happy to help we are approaching our PDI so any questions i am glad to answer them

Last edited by reens09; 2019-01-03 at 10:57 AM.
Old 2019-01-03, 11:27 AM

Hi! Congratulations on your townhome!
I think the high ceilings are included in townhomes! We purchased a minto townhome and have already picked out our fixtures! I suggest going in early before your appointment to go over what you would like to put together. It took me a long time to decide and I¬’m glad I went in a few times before and took pictures etc to se what looks good together. I also wanted to pick out things to make the place look bigger and roomie. I went with white walls, white beautiful marble looking tiles for foyer and kitchen and white kitchen cabinets and the island cabinet is a grey. My backsplash is also white with a marble look pattern. My counter tops I choose grey for the counters along the wall and a nice white for the island. We went with a medium grey hardwood color. Can¬’t you tell I love white and grey lol! My carpets for stairs and upper floor is white! We did add pot lights where ever we could because they look really nice! You can also ask to get a wired internet connection for your rooms this way you don¬’t have those WiFi problems!
If you have any questions I can try to answer them for you!!!
So exciting isn¬’t it?
Old 2019-01-03, 12:41 PM
Regular User

The Haven isn't significantly smaller, and in fact to me it seems larger because the layout is really well thought out. You don't have long hallways, awkward spaces or typical nook areas (ex. stair landings). Keep your design choices consistent, and remember that sometimes less is more. I personally choose design options that won't age the home quickly/prematurely. Remember that going with light materials throughout might open the space up when its empty, but that it won't be empty after you move in. Everything white will just make your furniture and accessories/clutter stand out more, instead of your eyes looking past it to some sort of anchoring element on the exterior walls (ex. cabinetry). A space with some elements of interest will make it feel bigger. I disagree with railings > half walls. In the Haven, on the first floor... that very short half wall helps define your room, and the living room is already longer than most. The half wall doesn't make any area feel smaller, and gives you a backdrop for furniture. Upstairs, again removing the half wall isn't really going to open anything up. All you gain is the view of the staircase drop, and the staircase is fairly compact (not straight or curved) and dark (no windows).

Last edited by hjuandok; 2019-01-03 at 12:44 PM.
Old 2019-01-03, 12:56 PM

Thanks guys! You guys definitely are great, and these advice really has given me some thought!

@hjuandok, as you also have the Haven model, would you mind sharing some pics of your house? Perhaps PM me? If not, I completely understand.

@Sanialilly, were your hardwood level 1 or 2? I didn't remember seeing a "grey tone" hardwood in those level. Same with the marble backsplash and tiles, seems like you upgraded to higher levels

I totally agree, we were deciding on the Haven, Laguna and Monterey models and the Haven just seemed to have the best floor plan. It had a separate dining area, which we loved compared to the other two. And the living room was spacious as well. Surprisingly though, comparing it by square feet, it is the smallest of the 3.

Regarding upgrade payments from Minto, do you guys know if it is due at the end of the last design appointments or do we have until March (the date where I must have things finalized). We plain to pay for it instead of rolling it on to the mortgage.

Thanks everyone again! I guarantee this won't be the last time I'm asking you guys questions!
Old 2019-01-03, 01:03 PM
Regular User

we had to pay upon signing of the upgrades. also, we received a discount for paying with chequing or cash. there was also a discount but a smaller one if you use a credit card.

Also, if your appts are broken up (structural, finishing, and audio/visual) you will have to pay at each of those stages for those respective upgrades. at least thats how it was for us with minto this past summer... assuming its the same across the board but i could be wrong.

really think hard about the half wall thing, its a personal preference, but we saw our model with the half wall vs. the railing and are very thankful we chose to do the railing. and its not something you can really do later unless you are willing to spend alot, have a huge mess, and match your hardwood to it. i was mostly referring to upstairs though not your lower living room staircase wall.

Last edited by reens09; 2019-01-03 at 01:11 PM.
Old 2019-01-03, 09:02 PM

@sayyoucandance99, it was a level 4.
I have a picture of the hardwood but itís not letting me attach the image
Old 2019-01-03, 09:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanialilly View Post
@sayyoucandance99, it was a level 4.
I have a picture of the hardwood but itís not letting me attach the image
Click "post reply" button under this post instead of typing in the text box at the bottom of this page. That will lead you to a full post box instead of a "quick reply" box and you will see the little paperclip in order to attach the pic
Old 2019-01-03, 09:59 PM

It keeps saying upload has failed