Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 2018-11-22, 08:44 AM
HMBTUX HMBTUX is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
For income:
Check out this interactive map: https://censusmapper.ca/maps/838?ind....3784/-75.6985

Also according to Statscan source:
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...Income&TABID=1
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...Income&TABID=1
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...Income&TABID=1

Kanata: Average employment income in 2015 for full-year full-time workers $81,634
Orleans: Average employment income in 2015 for full-year full-time workers $73,827
Nepean: Average employment income in 2015 for full-year full-time workers $74,923

I could not find Barrhaven stats in the census because Nepean + Barrhaven are counted as one

For schools:
Fraser Institute.
http://ontario.compareschoolrankings...ationName.aspx

Lets compare the secondary/high schools schools (public and Catholic) in Kanata, Barrhaven, and Orleans.

Kanata
25/747 Holy Trinity Kanata
47/747 Earl of March Kanata
68/747 All Saints Kanata
84/747 A.Y. Jackson Kanata

All 4 public and catholic are in the top 100 high schools in Ontario.

Orleans
84/747 St Matthew Orleans
156/747 St Peter Orleans
246/747 Sir Wilfrid Laurier Orleans

Only 1 high school in orleans that is in the top 100.

Barrhaven
25/747 John McCrae Barrhaven
43/747 St Joseph Barrhaven
97/747 Longfields Davidson Heights Barrhaven
175/747 Mother Teresa Barrhaven

You have 3 high schools in the top 100 in Barrhaven.
The one clear edge Kanata has is employment, not only the high tech jobs, but yes now the DND campus is huge. Barrhaven city planners (yes we’re a city now according to many!) have been struggling for years to bring in more employment, corporate campuses, etc. It’s a problem when a community grows so quickly, but all of the traffic moves the same direction each day. BH essentially empties by day, fills back up on nights and wknds.

I don’t think these stats support your notion that Kanata has higher income or better schools then Barrhaven. If you’re going to use Nepean as household income stats, then you should throw Bells Corners and Bayshore area in with Kanata. Barrhaven’s avg income levels are higher than that of Nepean.

Schools look very similar to me, and BH has many new ones coming soon.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 2018-11-22, 08:53 AM
electricsky electricsky is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
I don’t think these stats support your notion that Kanata has higher income or better schools then Barrhaven. If you’re going to use Nepean as household income stats, then you should throw Bells Corners and Bayshore area in with Kanata. Barrhaven’s avg income levels are higher than that of Nepean.

Schools look very similar to me, and BH has many new ones coming soon.
Its not that I'm grouping Barrhaven with Nepean, its the government grouping them together. I'm just using stats that are available.

Stittsville's average income levels are higher than Kanata but I'm not grouping them together.

Find me official stats showing income in Barrhaven is higher than Kanata to prove me wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 2018-11-22, 08:55 AM
HMBTUX HMBTUX is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendguy View Post
I noticed a townhome sold for 50k above asking just recently. This is getting CRAZY!!!

I didn't know Kanata was a hot market like that. What makes it in so high demand?
There is one very important real estate tactic that most people don’t consider. Many agents intentionally underprice homes in order to try and manufacture a bidding war. Further, one of the key metrics a realtor is evaluated by is “average days on market” and this tactic helps to artificially drive down that number in a big way. Any time you see “no offers until Friday at noon” this is a telltale sign of that tactic. In fact, realtors used to keep this strategy on the down low…..but it happens so often now that many of them openly admit that is what they are trying to do. So at the end of the day, the fact that a house went for “x amount over asking” is a fairly meaningless piece of information on its own.

Side note, you can still make an offer earlier in these scenarios and it is quite effective, the realtor is legally obliged to present the offer, and the seller is in a tough spot if you offer full asking price with an expiry that pre-dates their artificial deadline. This tactic became known as a “bully offer” in the GTA, but in reality it is the realtors playing games so it is completely legit.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 2018-11-22, 08:57 AM
HMBTUX HMBTUX is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
Its not that I'm grouping Barrhaven with Nepean, its the government grouping them together. I'm just using stats that are available.

Stittsville's average income levels are higher than Kanata but I'm not grouping them together.

Find me official stats showing income in Barrhaven is higher than Kanata to prove me wrong.
I don't care about proving you wrong I am simply pointing out the fatal flaw to the stats you are using in order to try and draw conclusions that do not exist.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 2018-11-22, 08:58 AM
electricsky electricsky is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
I don't care about proving you wrong I am simply pointing out the fatal flaw to the stats you are using in order to try and draw conclusions that do not exist.
Well, you don't have any facts to prove me wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 2018-11-22, 09:00 AM
HMBTUX HMBTUX is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 284
Default

Agreed. Neither of us have facts. So that is why your argument is "inconclusive" as I said
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 2018-11-22, 09:15 AM
hjuandok hjuandok is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Barrhaven
Posts: 68
Default

Stats are nice, especially stats from 2015. But that has nothing to do with what the OP asked.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 2018-11-22, 09:18 AM
electricsky electricsky is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
Agreed. Neither of us have facts. So that is why your argument is "inconclusive" as I said
Well I do have stats from 2011 showing that Kanata has higher income than Barrhaven but its irrelevant to post.

There's no indication for why Barrhaven would have leapfrogged Kanata in income in the past years, there is just no logic... especially since Kanata has, and will continue to have an employment advantage.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 2018-11-22, 09:32 AM
electricsky electricsky is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjuandok View Post
Stats are nice, especially stats from 2015. But that has nothing to do with what the OP asked.
Yeah I agree. In my original response, I should have stated that Kanata house prices are high because it has excellent high schools (but made no reference that it was ranked higher than Orleans or Barrhaven), has high income (but made no reference to how it compares to Orleans or Barrhaven).
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 2018-11-22, 10:22 AM
xdarrylx's Avatar
xdarrylx xdarrylx is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Barrhaven, Ontario
Posts: 1,953
Default

I think we can all agree that based on what we are seeing, if you live/work/send kids to school in BH, KN, NP or ST that you're in good shape, regardless of the slight jockeying and trading of positions. That and Ottawa has one of the best tech hubs in all of Canada so w00t!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ride from Kanata South to Kanata North LeoMessi Ottawa 2 2015-01-05 01:23 PM
Kanata Townhouse Jer in Ottawa Ottawa Area Houses For Sale 0 2013-03-15 12:48 PM
Lowe's in Kanata hodabfly Ottawa 22 2011-03-29 07:22 PM
Vet in kanata/stittsville? Mike83 Ottawa 10 2009-03-19 11:46 AM
Home in Kanata nasauti Ottawa 7 2008-06-15 08:56 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 PM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.